Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you Have a Car Emergency Kit?
Nothing at all. I'll take my chances. 2 4.44%
My emergency kit is my cell phone and roadside assistance. 7 15.56%
My emergency kit is my cell phone and I call someone else 2 4.44%
Yes. My phone and I carry some stuff..but not a designated kit. 17 37.78%
Yes. I ready to rock'n'roll. Totally prepared 17 37.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
When I lived in New Jersey I had a blanket , jumper cables , some kitty liter for traction and a bullet proof vest (only kidding) . Now I have water , extra sunscreen and my cell phone .
When we have the car drive us from our (PA) home to the airport in Newark or my wife takes the bus into the city (NYC) for the day, we make sure we have our vests. Too much Sopranos, I guess ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
Does my husband count as an "emergency kit"? I try to make sure he is in the car if I am going any distance away from home.
Yes. That is why I put down the option of cell phone and call someone other than roadside assistance. I'm sure there are several ("honey, I have a to do for you... ) when the car breaks down.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Yes. That is why I put down the option of cell phone and call someone other than roadside assistance. I'm sure there are several ("honey, I have a to do for you... ) when the car breaks down.
I chose this option, although I keep a local phone book in the car so in most cases I could just call for a tow truck or whatever was needed. I keep my car (now my SUV) well maintained, and fortunately the last time I had to call anybody was 12 years ago.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Gerber multitool. Swiss army pocket knife. Jumper cables. 12v air compressor for tires. In winter, a coat or blanket in trunk. Pen. A few bucks in change/cash. Toilet paper (for true emergencies). Car owner's manual (for troubleshooting). Cell phone and charger. Bottle of water.
I've got all this stuff. Plus a pair of earmuffs, gloves, and Yaktracs, a Frisbee for fun or shoveling snow, a few power bars (replaced once/yr or so), a few bungees, and a pint of Jack Daniels. This last item got added after I got stuck on the Beltway in the winter for 6 1/2 hours. People took turns sitting in each others car with the heater on so we didn't all run out of gas. The guy with the pint was EXTREMELY popular.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

A pint of JD?!!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I have a light rain jacket and a can of Deep Woods Off.
You're reducing your gas mileage dragging all that stuff around

I see people in this thread mentioning carrying a blanket and shovel... anyone around here with a blanket and shovel must be out to bury a body!
Old 07-22-2010, 04:54 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Duffle bag filled with boots, coveralls, flashlight, stocking hat, gloves in my truck. Had to use this stuff last winter when I got a flat. Car has only slime that plugs flat tires and a temp/mini air compressor (car doesn't have a spare tire). Also cell phone and just got AAA
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:50 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Duffle bag filled with boots, coveralls, flashlight, stocking hat, gloves in my truck. Had to use this stuff last winter when I got a flat. Car has only slime that plugs flat tires and a temp/mini air compressor (car doesn't have a spare tire). Also cell phone and just got AAA
So, did the Slime and temp/mini air compressor repair the flat enough to get you going back on track?

I don't have a that yet, but was thinking of that or Fix-a-Flat in case the tire goes and the situation is right to wait for AAA.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:54 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
although I keep a local phone book in the car so in most cases I could just call for a tow truck or whatever was needed.
They still make Phone Books?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:06 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

A cell phone and lots of "bundling up" stuff -- coats, hats, gloves, blankets, etc. I have a set of JUmper Cables that float between vehicles.

The last time, I needed a Jump Start, I was without Jumper Cables. Brenda was using a device in the vehicle that drained the battery while I was in the Doctor's Office longer than expected. Anyway, this guy came out and was getting in the car next to me. He noticed my dilemma and asked if he could help. I asked if he had Jumper Cables. He said, "No," and then did the most amazing thing. He took the battery out of his vehicle, turned it upside down and set it on top of our battery making sure the appropriate terminals were in contact. He then told me to start my car, which I did. He said, "You're Welcome," and left me standing there with a stunned expression. The sealed battery... what a great invention.

I should mention that in the RV I have a high volume air compressor but not so much as an "emergency" device but more to maintain the status quo.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

That's wild. Battery directly to battery. I bet your life flashed before you when you turned the ignition key. I'm sure my life would have flashed before me.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Back on the frozen tundra of the midwest, I always carried lots of stuff for survival. On Oahu, I've got AAA, the cell, fix-a-flat, jumpers and money for TheBus - and an umbrella. Now ask me about my hurricane kit at home.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
That's wild. Battery directly to battery. I bet your life flashed before you when you turned the ignition key. I'm sure my life would have flashed before me.
I suspect that may be a reasonably safe way to jump-start the car, as long as the contact can be maintained during the vibration of starting.

I've never owned a good enough set of jump leads. Every car I get seems to need more amps to crank the starter motor. My latest car is a diesel and probably needs 400 amps or something. I'll need leads that are as wide as they're long.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
They still make Phone Books?
Those of us antiquated folks that still have landlines get one dropped on our doorsteps once a year, as always. Well, actually four - - the white pages, regular yellow pages, and smaller volume of yellow pages for carrying in cars, all from the phone company, and the fake phone book by some other company.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Those of us antiquated folks that still have landlines get one dropped on our doorsteps once a year, as always. Well, actually four - - the white pages, regular yellow pages, and smaller volume of yellow pages for carrying in cars, all from the phone company, and the fake phone book by some other company.
Those always go straight from doorstep to trashcan at my house. Luckily the two locations are only about 3 feet apart to save me some trouble.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Funny.... I am buyng those new jumper cables for dummies... they are on sale at Woot today...

We do have the cheap cell phone... and roadside assistance from our insurance company...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

If you've ever blown up a battery during jumping (I have) or seen someone admitted to the ER with acid burns from same (I have) then you'll be especially careful about the details when jump-starting a vehicle. Polarity is important (duh), and the hydrogen released during the operation can lead to fireworks and worse. Now I'm a big fan of eye protection during the operation and connecting the ground lead last (and to the chassis, so I can be away from the battery when the sparking occurs). It's safe if done carefully, but not safe otherwise. I'd have to be pretty desperate before I'd accept the assistance of someone who wanted to invert their battery (sealed or not) over mine as a means to get my car started. Almost all "sealed" (aka "low maintenance") car batteries have vents. If inverted they shouldn't spill electrolyte (if everything is functioning as designed) but they can and do vent H during some operations. I wouldn't be surprised if this hydrogen could force out some electrolyte in the process.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
If you've ever blown up a battery during jumping (I have) or seen someone admitted to the ER with acid burns from same (I have) then you'll be especially careful about the details when jump-starting a vehicle. Polarity is important (duh), and the hydrogen released during the operation can lead to fireworks and worse. Now I'm a big fan of eye protection during the operation and connecting the ground lead last (and to the chassis, so I can be away from the battery when the sparking occurs). It's safe if done carefully, but not safe otherwise. I'd have to be pretty desperate before I'd accept the assistance of someone who wanted to invert their battery (sealed or not) over mine as a means to get my car started. Almost all "sealed" (aka "low maintenance") car batteries have vents. If inverted they shouldn't spill electrolyte (if everything is functioning as designed) but they can and do vent H during some operations. I wouldn't be surprised if this hydrogen could force out some electrolyte in the process.
This is exactly how I understood the procedure... and they way I had always done it in the past. I was careful to be far away from the operation by staying in the drivers seat while the batteries were in close proximity.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #39

Blanket, flares, jumper cable, cell phone, free roadside assistance from Acura and the insurance company.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

When I had to jump my car battery a few months ago, I put on googles and gloves. I pack that along with my battery booster. I might look a little goofy but I'd rather look goofy and be safe than not look goofy and be dangerous.

I remember years back, I was a passenger (before I knew anything about jumping) and with a friend when we helped someone jump her car. The jumped worked as far as getting the car started. But I remember as we drove off, the jumper cable was melted. I was thinking to myself, something didn't work right. I think they connected both pos and negatives, and not on a ground.