Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have 4 cats (one we recently brought in from outside) and have tried 4 different brands of fountains with little success. They are a pain in the neck to clean and require regular scrubbing out to get rid of the bacterial slime that coats all places that water touches. A few months ago my wife brought home yet another fountain that was only $20 and a couple of the cats seem to get some use out of it. Mostly they drink out of the 5 large ceramic bowls that I threw on the pottery wheel. Two will dip their paws. One likes the falling water from the bathroom faucet. When the one was outside we would provide a clean bowl for her and then she would drink dirty water from puddles. Cats are strange but always a good source of entertainment.

Cheers!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 05:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
We haven't had a cat for a few years now, but I have lived with them most of my life, and every cat has been happy to lap from a short tumbler of water next to the bathroom sink. The tumbler lifts the water level to their head height, and it's very easy to clean and refill the glass.

Of course, you have to be the kind of owner who doesn't mind cat feet on the bathroom vanity.

Amethyst

Is there any other kind of owner? I didn't know I had a choice!

And I forgot to mention that Roscoe, my new-ish kitten, prefers to drink out of whatever glass YOU are drinking from, with his bowl a distant, distant second choice.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:59 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Agree 100% with you Sarah. My cat stares me down if I am drinking a glass of water and LOVES when he gets to share the glass (cat owners will understand. . .I haven't died yet.) The bowl with fresh water changed twice daily goes untouched.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We had an old house many years ago where the basement wall had a pretty substantial crack in it. Every time there were heavy rains and the ground got saturated, water would flow in that crack and about six feet over to the drain.

We always knew where to find the cats when those conditions occurred. They would be sitting in the basement watching the water flow to the drain. Nothing is more fascinating to a cat than moving water!
Old 02-16-2016, 08:07 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I've tried fountains which they will drink a little from but then they go sit on the side of the sink and stare at me until I turn the water on for them. Ok, they have me well trained
Old 02-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Our cat drinks a lot of water. The tastiest by far is from a dribbling faucet in the bathroom sink...
Ours uses the tub as well. A prior cat used the sink.

Of course it is on demand so he has to ask. No filtered water for him!
Old 02-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Agree 100% with you Sarah. My cat stares me down if I am drinking a glass of water and LOVES when he gets to share the glass (cat owners will understand. . .I haven't died yet.) The bowl with fresh water changed twice daily goes untouched.
My cat shared my Caesar for many years but he must have heard about the danger of drinking because he stopped 2 years ago.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #28

We have a cat fountain (not sure it makes a difference) and a heated throw that my cat and dogs love.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #29

Same cat also RUNS to the bathroom when he hears the toilet flush. He just wants to see it all go down and that great swirl of water and slow refill! You can almost hear him exclaim AWESOME! COOL!
Sadly in my new digs I have an updated toilet--Toto--with the water saver quick flush. Just not the same; my poor, bored cat is very disappointed.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I never worried about buying a cat fountain. I add water to both my cats' wet food & dry food, so I don't worry too much if they are drinking enough water out of the bowl. One cat is now toothless, so they both had to get used to their dry food being wetted down. They don't seem to mind. I do have to wash their dry food bowl everyday though as the dry food residue will start molding within 48 hours.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Our cat drinks a lot of water. The tastiest by far is from a dribbling faucet in the bathroom sink, but he also uses this:

Amazon.com : PetSafe Drinkwell Original Pet Fountain : Pet Self Waterers : Pet Supplies
I have this same fountain got on amazon, my cat had kidney stones and we got this. He was initially afraid of it but after a few weeks he loves it and does tend to drink more. OP You might wanna give your cat some time to adjust
Old 02-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Same cat also RUNS to the bathroom when he hears the toilet flush. He just wants to see it all go down and that great swirl of water and slow refill! You can almost hear him exclaim AWESOME! COOL!
Sadly in my new digs I have an updated toilet--Toto--with the water saver quick flush. Just not the same; my poor, bored cat is very disappointed.
It's so funny to see or hear about what makes our pets happy. They get so conditioned to certain stimuli. I try to pay attention to that and make their day with such things.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #33

Quote:
What? You're not going to change it out for him? How inconsiderate of you!
Old 02-18-2016, 06:21 PM   #34

Nah. He's spoiled enough. And I kinda like the Toto.
Maybe I just like the name. Now that I think about it, Toto might be a good name for my next cat
Old 02-18-2016, 06:33 PM   #35

Our 2 cats drink from all water sources available but no fountain. Only bowl, toilets, and sinks. Sometimes I put ice in their water bowl, they like that.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:07 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Our 2 cats drink from all water sources available but no fountain. Only bowl, toilets, and sinks. Sometimes I put ice in their water bowl, they like that.
Oh, absolutely! Not only fresh water, but a TOY in it!!!
Old 02-18-2016, 09:12 PM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

My cats like their Drinkwell fountain. However, on more than one occasion I have returned to the dining room table to find Crystal squeezing her head into my glass of water for a drink. I guess she likes a challenge.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker88 View Post
However, on more than one occasion I have returned to the dining room table to find Crystal squeezing her head into my glass of water for a drink. .
Better her head than her paw! I had to train our cats not to use their paw to determine water level. Now they use their tongue.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Our 18 yo cat thinks that our toilets are for her drinking experience. Gotta keep those lids down!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

The cat fountain I ordered arrived. I think the fountain is a little top heavy so went ahead a built a stand. Now no way the cats can knock the fountain over. That was the easy part. The hard part is the cats treating the fountain as a water source and not thinking it is a space craft that landed.

Funny, how they paw all kinds of things, but have yet to test the water, literally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f1.JPG (457.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg f5.jpg (412.0 KB, 5 views)