Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Do you have a cell phone?
Old 04-15-2005, 10:17 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks like Beyond Wireless is a good choice for soon-to-be-former AT&T customers. Appears to use the same phone, the same network, but minutes never expire as long as you make 1 minute of phone calls every 60 days.

1000 minutes for $100. That will last me 3 years.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2005, 09:01 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Looks like Beyond Wireless is a good choice for soon-to-be-former AT&T customers. *
Good Lord, I can get more minutes with a $5 card than anything I've ever purchased from AT&T ... I just bookmarked that site....

Old 04-15-2005, 10:42 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Verizon with about a zillion minutes for a flat fee but for someone who does not plan on using their cell phone much I think T-Mobile offers an excellent deal.

Go to their website see the Pay as You Go plan. Purchase a starter kit which includes a phone and 60 minutes of airtime for 60 days for as little for as $40.
Within the first 2 months buy a $100 card which is good for 1000 minutes over a year and entitles you to discounts on additional airtime.

So for $140 you have a phone and and 1060 minutes to use for 14 months.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:10 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ndRe: Do you have a cell phone?

I really don't want a cell phone. When I was working full time, I was given a phone with all minutes paid for, and I decided I didn't like it -- too intrusive. Sure, you can turn it off. But then it's just dead weight you have to carry around. The company that I work for these days (I consult about 1/4 time or less) offers to buy me a cell phone and pay for the minutes about once a week or more. I have no interest.

I have come to realize that most people don't understand my feelings about this, but I really find cell phones to come with far more negatives than positives.

Old 04-16-2005, 02:40 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

SG
I know exactly how you feel about the cell phone. Intrusive to say the least. OTOH being on my own, and needing to keep in contact with my office, it lets me get away and still keep in contact. Avoided it for a while, but now actually like the freedom. Clients love to have you call from Hawaii. Can always turn it off.
I use alltel. Not cheap but we are in a rural area and it was the only system that has good coverage. VZ, Sprint and Nextel, etc all lose calls, drop calls and have too many dead spots out in the country.
Uncledrz
Old 04-16-2005, 04:00 AM   #26

Hey SG. I see your point also. However, for a real
type A (that would be me) even in retirement they come in handy. See, if I get an idea or need to talk to someone, I want to do it RIGHT NOW! I've been this way forever. The only reason I don't have a cell phone now is the cost. Even though it would be fully tax
deductible, I still am holding off. I know it is very cheap
now. Still not enough bang for my buck.

JG
Old 04-16-2005, 04:57 AM   #27

Tracfones are the way to go, at least for us. No contract, and you can get a year's worth of minutes for $80 or so, as someone said previously. Coverage seems decent. I'm not a fan of cell phones in general, and we don't use the thing for general chit-chat.......only when we really need it.

RAE
Old 04-16-2005, 06:16 AM   #28

In general, I hate cell phones, and pagers, too. I call them an electronic leash. When I get in my vehicle I don't want anybody calling me, especially my boss (when I was working). As to the security of having them for emergencies, how did I make it 61 years without one? OTOH, mebbe they're like a gun. Rather have it and not need it than vice versa!

BTW, here's my version of a typical cell phone call. "Hello! Yeah, I'm at the corner of Main and 1st Street. Where you at? Yeah, Ya wanna do lunch? Nah, I was a Chili's yesterday, let's do Red Lobster. OK, See you at 12:15. Ciao!" Or some such version, but you get the idea. Hardly worth the price and certainly not worth invading everybody else's space.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:32 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just like any other tool, they have good and bad uses.

When my wife was 8.75 months pregnant and I was over at our other house painting, it was a pretty good tool.

On my way back from somewhere, when I want to check in to see if we need any last minute groceries before I go shopping, pretty good tool.

But I dont give anyone the number and if I call someone and they say "Is this your cell #??" and I sense a hovering pen...I say "no, I just borrowed a friends for a minute.

That sort of simplifies the bad aspects of the 'tool'.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:21 PM   #30
Confused about dryer sheets

I have one from Virgin Mobile(http://www.virginmobileusa.com). The phone cost about $100 but I only have to use $20 every three months - I make so few calls that $6.33 / month is a good deal for me. As long as you keep adding money every three months, it carries over but I guess eventually, you would want to use the time or lose it. It does cost me 25 cents a minute to use it but it has no roaming charges or taxes added (so not a good deal if you use your phone a lot). The only downside is that it seems that its coverage is not that good. It's fine in the cities and on major highways but if you are somewhere off the beaten path, it's tough to get service.

Greg

Old 05-18-2005, 06:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstander1
The only downside is that it seems that its coverage is not that good.* It's fine in the cities and on major highways but if you are somewhere off the beaten path, it's tough to get service.

Greg

I had Sprint too and had the same problem. Had to switch to Alltel. More expensive, but has the coverage.
Uncledrz