Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you have a dishwasher?
Yes!! 116 82.27%
Yes, but it doesn't work 3 2.13%
No!! 22 15.60%
This question is too tough! I never noticed 0 0%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2008, 12:38 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

We have had 3 or 4 over the last 30 years, but we jokingly call them the "dish-rinser", because it seems you need to at least partially hand wash the dishes before you put them in. Maybe we need lessons?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2008, 01:27 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
One of my non-LBYMs fantasies is to have two dishwashers, one for clean, one for dirty. Never have to put the dishes away.
to which i have a lbym solution: a deep sink.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:45 AM   #43

Have a dishwasher - last used it 3 years ago and it leaked bad. The wife wants a new one (stainless steel) with other appliances to match, and new cabinets while we're at it. I just want to fix the old one. Maybe I will one of these days.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

A dishwasher came with the house..standard, cheap model. Died at 20+ years of age. Got a better grade replacement..has a sanitizer which is nice when there is a sicko in the house.

The DW still hand washes a lot of not-dishwasher-safe stuff. I told her if wasn't dishwasher safe to throw it out and simplify life. No go.

We have a massively mixed set of silverware some of which dates back to 2nd hand stuff we were given when we were married 35 years ago. I bought her a nice complete set for Christmas. She likes the new stuff..kept the old stuff too. Its all mixed together in the silverware drawer.

She's a frugal wife..probably helped a lot to my F.I.R.E.

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In the Midwest we had dishwarshers...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I was an early escapee from the Midwest and I still talk that way.

The only time I was ever corrected was by my sister yelling at me that there was no "R" in Washington.

She was a teacher by then. They must have done something terrible to her in college..shock treatment or hot pokers..to get her to start talking funny like that.

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:13 PM   #47

Quote:
I thought that was PA? A girlfriend in HS noted that I put an "r" in "warsh" - I must've picked it up from PA relatives since I grew up in MD.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
My father talked like that and he was raised in the Pacific NW! Maybe it's farmers - lots of Rs everywhere.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:11 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I wouldn't be without a dishwasher. A few years ago we replaced the noisy Kenmore that was in the house when we moved in with a Bosch. It is quiet and does a great job dishes that have been barely rinsed.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

[quote=prubin;616813]I wouldn't be without a dishwasher. /quote]

Ditto !
Old 02-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Modern dishwashers are more energy saving than handwashing dishes, if you have a full load. My home had a dishwasher when I moved in. After approximately 15 years it began leaking and I replaced it with a new, energy efficient, quiet, sparkling glassware one. It works much better than the old one and I wouldn't be without it. I run it about twice a week.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #52

As a renter I don't pay for hot water, but I do pay for the electricity to run a load of dishes. I estimated a while back that it costs about 20 cents for the electricity to run a modern dishwasher load.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
The downside is that visitors always complain about there not being a drying rack on the countertop and offer to buy me one. In the small kitchens I've had, I've always prefered the counterspace over having a drying rack. But I recently broke down and bought my first drying rack mostly for visitors to use.
What a nice host you are, to think of the needs of your dishwashing visitors!

What kind did you get? I have a 13-yr old dishrack with its coating beginning to break so that rust is showing through. I am thinking of getting this. (Edited: Or maybe not--just looked at the Amazon reviews that said one had to wipe the rack to prevent rust spots.)

But then again, I have also thought in the past of using our non-functioning dishwasher as the dishrack and not spending $50. Plus, I like your point of having more counter space without a dishrack.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #54

I just bought a $5 wooden fold up ikea dish rack. I soon discovered I needed a silverware strainer, so I bought one that attaches to wooden racks for $10 or so at BB&Beyond. It's probably not the optimal solution, but it makes my visitors comfortable washing dishes!
Old 02-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #55

Thanks--a wooden dish rack will never rust! Well, maybe the screws and nails will.

We don't have an IKEA in town (I have never been to one actually ) but I will be on the lookout for an inexpensive wooden dish rack in the stores here.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One of my non-LBYMs fantasies is to have two dishwashers, one for clean, one for dirty. Never have to put the dishes away.
Yes, me too! Another fantasy: silverware that is shaped/sized so that you dump it into the sorting gizmo, and it self-sorts (like a coin sorter).

Concerning dish drains -- I rarely see any dish drains which cause the water to actually drain into the sink. Perhaps in a less humid environment that's not a problem, but I had to make my own. I found it has to tilt pretty steeply to insure that the water flows into the sink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drain 004.jpg (176.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #57

Quote:
My dad called it a "dishworsher". Southern Midwest I guess.

We have one and use it about once a week; when we run out of glasses or spoons. Otherwise, we handwash the few things we use during the day.

It is also a great place to hide dirty dishes when company comes over.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
The main things that go into the dishwasher are plates, mugs, glasses, and utensils.

I don't mind doing pots and pans by hand as they are large, unbreakable and have handles.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I have one...wouldn't live without one. I hate to wash dishes by hand! I don't run it but about once a week though since I make sure it's full before I run it.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #60

We had one installed when we remodeled the kitchen in our 64-year-old house last year. The old design was very inefficient with almost no storage. We practically doubled the storage AND got a dishwasher in there as well.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote