Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #21
Administrator

I don't have a fountain. What a cool idea! I love listening to the sound of rainfall here. We get a lot of rain.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2014, 03:25 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Creek running through property with several small waterfalls...
That's nice. I once spotted a home built over a creek in the suburb of Vancouver, but was not able to snap a photo. It was raining, and the creek had a good flow, and I wondered if the sound was enough to keep the owner from sleeping at night.

I searched the Web, and found a photo of a similar home to link in here. The one I saw was smaller and on an average suburban lot that was not large, but built over a creek in a similar manner.

See: chrislarsonarchitect-sustainable-green-architecture - Bridge House - tbridge.jpg

And speaking of rain, the sound of rain drops hitting the roof of a motorhome is much different than rain on a roof of a home. It is also louder for sure. And when the rain driven by strong winds hits your motorhome on multiple sides, it feels like you are inside a drum. Ask me how I found this out camping in the Canadian Maritimes. And that wind rocks your motorhome too, though nowhere as bad as a ship on a roiling sea.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And speaking of rain, the sound of rain drops hitting the roof of a motorhome is much different than rain on a roof of a home. It is also louder for sure. And when the rain driven by strong winds hits your motorhome on multiple sides, it feels like you are inside a drum. Ask me how I found this out camping in the Canadian Maritimes. And that wind rocks your motorhome too, though nowhere as bad as a ship on a roiling sea.
I love the normal rocking of a ship at sea, because I am accustomed to it, I suppose. Between the rocking motion and all the fresh air, I sleep deeply at sea and I am refreshed and invigorated when I awaken.

That said, I don't think I would enjoy a rocking motorhome or one being buffeted by strong winds either; I would worry that it might topple.

In my home, the soft sound of rainfall is so soothing. Often I turn off the TV or radio just to listen to it. Thunder and lightning are not soothing but they can be exciting in their own way.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

The closest thing I have to a fountain is our backyard bird bath attached to a drip line. Fun to watch the birds and easy maintenance.

I'd like a backyard fountain but so would the creatures that would be drawn to it. Once the birdbath was near the ground and a raccoon decided to wash something nasty in it. The smell was awful. Don't need another mechanical item to worry about.

An interior fountain would be fun to have if you don't mind the maintenance issues.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

We live on a lake so we get to hear the sound of the waves in the summer. We really miss that in the winter. I'd live to have a water feature in the house but I've had enough water issues to last a lifetime. Too risky for me. I'd be paranoid every time I left the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't have a fountain, but curious if these indoor fountains aide in increasing indoor humidity levels during very cold winters.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer373 View Post
I used to have a little fountain sitting on a bar area. It kept running dry and it took me a while to figure out why. The cat was drinking out of it instead of her bowl water. I gave it away, lol
Hope the cat got a good home!:what:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
...a chocolate fountain in the kitchen.
Oh, please, don't give DW any ideas! That would send us to the poorhouse for sure.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Oh, please, don't give DW any ideas! That would send us to the poorhouse for sure.
Walt, I use this when my nieces and nephews are here for parties and lend to my sisters when they have birthday parties for the kids.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Nope.
Nor one in the yard.

I wouldn't mind getting a drinking fountain installed near the back door - kids could get a quick drink in between playing basketball.
We used to call that a hose
Old 10-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #31

We did have a tabletop recirculating fountain for a while, but I found it got scummy due to 'things' growing in the water. I got rid of it, as I was concerned about it releasing mold/bacteria into the household air.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

So far - overwhelming no luv for fountains.

Mine is easy to care for, never had any issue with mold, and less water 'danger' than when an upstairs toilet valve decided to leak, and my garbage disposal leak out of the bottom.

Moving on.....
Old 10-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a 300 lb bubbler rock at the front of the house, near the front entrance....... very soothing sounds of nature. It's the focal point of our evolving river rock garden. We've collected a lot of colorful river rocks from our many white water rafting/camping trips over the years, so the rock garden is sentimental as well.

BTW....this will be our first winter with the bubbler. Winter temps will include periods of freeze. Does anyone know if we need to drain the underground collection basin and/or remove the pump to prevent cracking/breaking of the pump parts during a freeze?.....what about flushing with antifreeze? (Sounds easier, but potentially harmful to the environment and pump)
Old 10-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Small creek and a 60 foot diameter pond. Oh, and a rain downspout chain.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Don't have a fountain, but curious if these indoor fountains aide in increasing indoor humidity levels during very cold winters.
I am pretty sure that they do. In our old house, we had to turn off the furnace humidifier because the house was always very humid. We had a cat fountain running 24x7 and always assumed that was the reason for it.

We moved and are no longer using the cat fountain so I can't swear to it.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoseeker View Post
what about flushing with antifreeze? (Sounds easier, but potentially harmful to the environment and pump)
Someone who knows better than me will come along but how about RV antifreeze? I think that's more environmentally friendly. It's more expensive for a reason.