Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #61

Like many here, everything I think is important is at the bank safe deposit box.

I did install a fire resistant box with an entire tube of liquid nails. And it's in a tight, hidden place (hard to get a crow bar on it, or smash it). But it's open and empty now anyway.

Like gauss, I sometimes wonder if life wouldn't be better if it all went up, lol!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I saw a recommendation from a 'safety consultant' to have two safes, one for the criminals / family members to find, and the real one hidden somewhere.

We put all important documents in a safety deposit box. and hide the jewelry

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

As an engineer, the most important factor in choosing a fireproof safe is how tightly it seals. Even paper is unlikely to burn if there's no air, so listen for that "hiss" sound when you're opening & closing a potential safe.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes have multiple that receive both docs and other stuff necessary to keep locked up in addition to two full size gun safes. Only one is easily movable unless I was the Hulk (Im not) and that one has the docs I would need should a disaster happen
swabby01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

We have have a “Lock Box” for important documents for 20 years. It’s basically a briefcase size fire safe. We don’t actually lock it - just latched. Not real concerned about burglary, just in case the house burns down. At least we would have marriage certificate, Visas, SS cards, deeds, etc.
Canoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoeboy View Post
.. just in case the house burns down. At least we would have marriage certificate, Visas, SS cards, deeds, etc.
That is what is in our safety deposit box

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #67

We have a small fireproof box for important documents. It's bolted to the concrete foundation in the back of my closet, and it's locked all the time. The kids know where the key is if needed. We do keep some jewelry and unused CCs in there, but mostly just passports, car titles, birth certificates, computer backups, wills, and other important documents. Everything is replaceable, so I see no point in overdoing it.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:17 AM   #68

We have a small fireproof box that locks. I wouldn't call it a safe.