Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I know my Sony is smart, because when I turn it on just in time to catch Big Bang Theory a popup window advises that an important software upgrade is available... and it tells me it will only take a moment!
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can you upgrade a smart tv as easily and cheaply as one can upgrade a Roku or Apple TV device - either through a software update or by simply buying a new device?? I suspect not, so I would go with a regular TV and the little Roku box.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Theoretically there are ways to apply upgrades, but in practice, my Samsung came out the year before Samsung came out with their truly excellent smart TV software platform, and there are no upgrades for the software that came with my smart TV.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Can you upgrade a smart tv as easily and cheaply as one can upgrade a Roku or Apple TV device - either through a software update or by simply buying a new device?? I suspect not, so I would go with a regular TV and the little Roku box.
My 1 YO Vizio upgrades through the network, automatically. No difference that I can see from my ROKU.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #45

My 2013 Samsung updates firmware via the internet, and they now offer an "evolution kit" that is a bit of hardware that connects to the rear of the unit to upgrade its brains. For example, there is a kit that will upgrade the 2012 models to the 2013 version. It will be interesting to see how this is used in the future.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Before you get one of the new smart TVs which respond to hand gestures, you should watch Black Mirror: 15 Million Merits.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
My 2013 Samsung updates firmware via the internet, and they now offer an "evolution kit" that is a bit of hardware that connects to the rear of the unit to upgrade its brains. For example, there is a kit that will upgrade the 2012 models to the 2013 version. It will be interesting to see how this is used in the future.

Hmmm. Where can I get one of these evolution kits? After the two days I've just had at work, I'd like to try connecting it to the rears of several of my co-workers who could use a brain upgrade.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #48

I think that's where several of my coworkers already have their brains, too! LOL!
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I think that's where several of my coworkers already have their brains, too! LOL!
It's definitely where my co-workers pull their ideas from.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I love my Chromecast! Only $35, easy to install and easy to use.

Limited right now to Netflix, Hulu, YouTube and some of the Google family applications, but my expectation is that they'll branch out quickly to other areas. It's sweet!
Old 10-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I love my Chromecast! Only $35, easy to install and easy to use.

Limited right now to Netflix, Hulu, YouTube and some of the Google family applications, but my expectation is that they'll branch out quickly to other areas. It's sweet!
Does Chromecast not have Amazon Prime yet?
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #52
Gone but not forgotten

Interesting thread.

I believe we're in a transition period, with another year or two for shake out. I can only speak from experience with a non-smart TV.

Some thoughts:that may be the best combination for alternate uses, an N200 Sony and a Roku HD.

First, the connections. This is important to me, as It allows streaming from different sources.

The Sony has the best combination.
Inputs:
Wireless
USB from any source
Internet RS232
Outputs:
HDMI
RCA Coax
RCA RGB
USB

Roku HD
Inputs:
Internet RS232
Wireless
Outputs:
RCA Coax only

I like the Sony, because I can use it to stream anything from my 3Terrabyte drive, anywhere... direct... no computer needed. Works great at camp where there is no internet access. Also, the Sony has UTube built in, and has a very intuitive search option... one or two words in title gets the program.

The Roku (HD) doesn't have UTube built in, though you can add it, using the developer mode. Roku has added many, many specialty channels, though not much that interests me. Usually filled with ads, or short clips that are a nuisance to get to.

A little off topic, but some stuff that's available to supplement streaming video.
http://pegleg.it/ A search program for YouTube movies, of which there are many hundreds available. (takes a while to load, but worth the wait.)

http://instantwatcher.com/ A search tool for Netflix that is interactive for types of videos, by genre, years, and many subject categories, along with reviews from Rotten Tomatoes, NYT etc.

By the way... Using the USB input on the Sony media player, allows you to use a wireless keyboard and to surf the internet on the TV or monitor.

Since I don't have a Smart TV, I don't know how much of this is available, but I DO like the portabilty of the media player, which allows me to use any kind of input on any kind of output device... anywhere.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Before you get one of the new smart TVs which respond to hand gestures, you should watch Black Mirror: 15 Million Merits.
Ha! Very good episode. My son downloads British TV shows and brought over the whole Black Mirror series. Very good stuff. After that one I couldn't look at people at the gym on their equipment the same anymore.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Some thoughts:that may be the best combination for alternate uses, an N200 Sony
I have that box, got it off ebay on some daily deal for $40. Wish I bought two.
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote