Join Early Retirement Today

Do you have a Smart TV?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you have a Smart TV?

We need a new tv. Read somewhere that with a Smart TV can get NetFlix without having to go thru an xbox, etc. Any other advantages to this type of TV over the standard ones? They do cost more I noticed. Thanks for any info.
itsmyparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm quite happy with our sony xbr. Can launch Netflix and pandora with the Logitech remote.
serie1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have one with a USB key that gets the WIFI signal. Newer ones are all internal. Make sure that your device gets the channels you want. If you find a good set without streaming for a lot less, remember that Roku costs $50-$99 bucks. It comes with loads of channels and can be taken on vacation if the place you are staying has WIFI. I used an Apple TV box in FL last winter to watch the first few seasons of Breaking Bad.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a smart LG TV and smart LG DVD player. I like them both. The cost difference between smart and "dumb" is almost nothing.

One suggestion is to look at what is included in your smart device. Amazon Prime was originally only on my DVD player but eventually LG added it to the TV in a software update. Everything has Netflix and Hulu but there are still significant differences between my devices. The TV has many more choices but I seldom use any of them.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #5

If I was selecting anything right now it would include consideration of how many damn remotes will I need! Right now cannot watch normal channels without 2, Netflix without 3 (netflix comes through our smart DVD). Universal my a__!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't do this!
Most of them are slow and not keeping up with technology progress.
Instead of smart TV buy a $35 Chromecast, $50 Roku or $99 Apple TV depending on your needs - if you already have an Xbox or PS I would not even bother with anything else.
If all you need is Netflix & Youtube, even Chromecast does nice job.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a Smart TV as part of the home theater system. Since I also have a premier Tivo box on that TV, the smart TV doesn't really give me all that much I didn't already have. It does allow me to stream movies from my NAS drive in more formats than Tivo supports, but that is about the only useful thing I get out of it. I have two Tivo boxes and a Roku box in my house. If the Roku could stream from a NAS drive, it would be my first choice for turning a dumb TV into a smart TV.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #8

Bundling two devices together is rarely a good idea until the technologies involved are not just mature, but verging on stodgy. It costs a little more to have a separate "tuner" and "display" but in the long run it is a superior option.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

One less set of cables behind the TV, one less remote, one less device in the cabinet. If that's worth it to you, go ahead. Otherwise, I agree that it locks your TV into current technology. Mine is just a year or two old but I can't access my home network to stream anything from my laptop or a server. I wouldn't pay a lot more for a Smart TV. I had gone into a Crutchfield outlet looking for a cheaper LED or plasma and when they didn't have any I wanted I let myself get oversold on a new one.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It costs a little more to have a separate "tuner" and "display" but in the long run it is a superior option.
And for a lot of cases this is even not true ("costs a little more" part ), meaning smart TV price premium is higher than the cost of the external device.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #11

i just got a Samsung UN50F6400 and overall I'm quite happy with it, although a bit disappointed with the smart tv features. Netflix works well, as does Amazon Prime and Pandora, but one of the features was supposed to be automatically suggesting shows to watch. I've tried my best to troubleshoot that but so far have come up with zilch.

It's also a 3D TV, and Netflix is now streaming 3D (and 1080p) if your device supports it. So far there really aren't very many titles available in 3D, but I'm hoping more will come.

It also supports other streaming services including Vudu, Hulu Plus, but I haven't yet shelled out the money for those.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #12

I have a stupid TV and a smart Roku. No cable channels - I find everything I want via the Roku, and when Roku updates their software it automatically updates my little first-generation Roku.

Of course, I am one of the few remaining people on the planet who still has a stupid phone, too, but that's another thread.......
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have a stupid TV too, and a stupid phone. I think they match me!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a 2009 panasonic that had some native apps, but no wifi or netflix (2010 models). The interface was a bit clunky. I am a gadget guy, so I have a PS3, a blu ray player, a googletv, a sony streaming box (w/usb) and a chromecast. I am soon going to buy an appletv because once in a while there is content on itunes that isn't on the other pay d/l services (Google, Sony, Vudu, Amazon) that I have access too. I also learned that if you have an appletv you can pay for a netflix subscription through the itunes stores. Since itunes gift cards are often discounted its a nifty backdoor for that. Probably take me a couple years to offset the price though, I will likely get the refurb model for $75 unless they announce a new model on October 22nd.

Given I only have 3 screens (projector w/120" screen in the basement, 55" plasma, 22" LCD, aka the sick tv that gets put in bedrooms when some one is sick) its silly to have all these different devices. I do wish the "sick tv" was a smart tv since it would be less stuff to wire up when we put it in the kid's rooms. But they are cheap enough not to matter.
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I have a stupid TV too, and a stupid phone. I think they match me!
So there are two of us on the planet - good to know.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
If I was selecting anything right now it would include consideration of how many damn remotes will I need! Right now cannot watch normal channels without 2, Netflix without 3 (netflix comes through our smart DVD). Universal my a__!
I use a Logitech Harmony remote it operates everything I use. With a box Lgitech sells it will even be a Bluetooth remote for PS3.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #17

Smart tvs aren't worth the extra money, IMHO, for most of the above reasons. We got an LG that we really liked and just hook up our tablets or laptops to it with HDMI cable. You have the whole Internet at your command then, not just whatever native apps they build into the TV.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Smart tvs aren't worth the extra money, IMHO, for most of the above reasons. We got an LG that we really liked and just hook up our tablets or laptops to it with HDMI cable. You have the whole Internet at your command then, not just whatever native apps they build into the TV.
Some of the streaming boxes include a generic Web browser (Sony makes one, and probably other brands do too). Of course, that does limit you to the awkward on-screen keyboard with typing via a remote. To reduce the awkward typing, I'd like the remote to come with voice recognition, like smartphones have, but I do not believe such remotes exist yet.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Do you have a Smart TV?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have a Smart TV?

Yes, and I looked at all that it can do but wow, most of it has little appeal to me. The only use I have made of the smart capabilities is the easy connection to Amazon Prime videos. Frankly, the various internet apps are pretty boring.

They can make the TVs smart, but buyers like me just stay stupid (or hopefully "old fashioned" is a better description).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
To reduce the awkward typing, I'd like the remote to come with voice recognition, like smartphones have, but I do not believe such remotes exist yet.
What do you think is a remote for Chromecast? Any Android device or iPhone or iPad. Very easy to use voice recognition, although I prefer phone touch-screen keyboard.