Do you have any toys from long ago?

bbbamI

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The first pic is a doll my momma and daddy gave me when I was four years old (50 years ago). She is wearing the original dress and shoes. Her hair used to be longer, but I trimmed it when I was little. :angel:

The second pic is a Cabbage Patch doll I bought in the 80's. The dress she's wearing is the dress I wore coming home the day after I was born.

Attachments

• DSC02932.jpg
    DSC02932.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC02933.jpg
    DSC02933.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 8
Wow, yours are in incredibly good shape.

I didn't even know she had them, but my Mom just gave me my teddy bear, my "kitty" and my silver baby cup when I was home in November. The two stuffed animals are well worn (too sad looking to take pictures), guess they got a lot of love when I was a kid more than 55 years ago. Not sure what to do with them, but I haven't been able to bring myself to throw them away so they just sit on a bookshelf...

I still have the baseball, football, and other sports cards my brothers and I collected as kids. I don't recall how my oldest brother got out of the picture, but I bought out my older brother's share a few years ago.

I oldest thing I still have is the original Nintendo system and a few games from the late 1980's.

I still have the baseball, football, and other sports cards my brothers and I collected as kids. I don't recall how my oldest brother got out of the picture, but I bought out my older brother's share a few years ago.

I still have football and basketball cards from the very late 80's and thru out the 90's. I wish I would've sold them in the 90's though because they're almost all worth less now.

Thanks Midpack. :)

Taking those pics reminded me of other favorite toys from the past. One was a Woody Woodpecker talking hand puppet.

That memory caused me to look on ebay. Not sure if I'll buy one or not. It's the same toy, but it won't stir the same emotions....

I am pretty bad about keeping things-I don't get rid of most things until they break. With that said, I don't recall having any toys left from when I was a kid. Between my brother and I they mostly got broke. Probably my oldest toy is the car I got in 1984. I still have the 76 Monte Carlo. It is my big boy toy.

OTOH, my inlaws always planned on having more kids. When my wife was done with something they carefully packed it up and preserved it for the next kid. That next kid never happened.

Imagine our surprise when they brought over a trailer of supplies upon the birth of their 1st granddaughter. A COMPLETE set of clothing and toys from birth through age 5.

Imagine our terror when we saw all of the carefully preserved baby clothes from 1970...

We had the grooviest kid at daycare!

And, yes, we have lots of toys around the house that my wife fondly remembers from her childhood.

I had a doll that I got for Christmas, 1955 and named Mary Jane. But, I gave Mary Jane to my daughter years ago. She has taken very good care of the doll, displays it, and has even made some minor repairs.

I have my father's microscope from medical school, that he let me use for fun when I was a pre-teen. I don't know if that counts as a toy, but I think that's the only one I still have.

I have a stuffed dog from my baby days. I have no idea why I keep it as it is in really sad state and just sits in a rarely used desk drawer, but there it is.

I also have my first pair of skis and leather ski boots, bear trap bindings and all, (from when I was about 5 years old) mounted on the gable wall of my great room.

Extensive baseball card collection gone. Little brother still has all our GI Joe stuff, though. I'm pretty much the only antique at my house.

My one and only toy.

Attachments

• DSC01212.jpg
    DSC01212.jpg
    891.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I had younger siblings so there were no toys that survived from my childhood. They destroyed my Barbie and Midge dolls, obviously they 'played' very differently with toys than I did.

I do have a satin baby quilt that was made for me by a great aunt before I was born. The great aunt was an avid quilter and made many quilts through her church activities during her life. My mother never used it so it survived and is currently stored in my cedar chest. I hope to display it as a wall hanging one of these days.

I have a stuffed monkey and a small stuffed bear from my childhood, both are very well loved. I never had dolls, only stuffed animals. A few years ago my Mom gave me the beaded bracelet with my name on it from from the hospital when I was born.

She also gave me a sack of teeth, my baby teeth and some permanent ones pulled to make some room when I had braces. I'll save those in case I'm ever missing and they need DNA for identification. :facepalm:

At Grandmas in about 1984 I mentioned that I was going to buy some firecrackers for the 4th of July. A couple of minutes later she came out with a mess of jumbo BlackCats from when my mom was a kid in the 50s.

Those were fun.

<snip>I had younger siblings so there were no toys that survived from my childhood. They destroyed my Barbie and Midge dolls, obviously they 'played' very differently with toys than I did.
I had a Barbie doll too. My momma made clothes for that doll... I swear I'd give my right arm if I still had that doll and her homemade clothing.

<snip>She also gave me a sack of teeth, my baby teeth and some permanent ones pulled to make some room when I had braces. I'll save those in case I'm ever missing and they need DNA for identification. :facepalm:
:LOL:.....ahhh, thanks Sue. This is the first time I've laughed today.

I asked DW that question once, and she dug out a Barbie doll she received when she was just about at the age of losing interest in playing with dolls.

It was in pristine condition, still in the box with all the accessories.

We sold it on eBay for well over $1,000 in 1998.

I have always loved to read so of course my favorite toy was a book ! Notice the wonderful artistic touches that I added !

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    934.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 5
I have "Spot", a stuffed spotted dog with a jingle bell sewn into the ear that was always at Grandmother's house. Spot is still in one piece, but I don't know how much handling of any sort he would survive these days. Now that you mention books I have one or two Uncle Wiggly books and a few other kid books from my Grandmother's place.

I have a rather crude glazed & fired clay mask of my dad I made in gradeschool.

I thought I had gotten rid of my electric trains, but they were still at Mom's house. Now they're in my house. I've been waffling on whether to keep them or get rid of them. My nephews would probably enjoy them. I have some HO scale trains and track and some Lionel / O27 stuff that was my dad's or his brother's as a kid. I probably once or twice ever had them hooked up an running, but they were never in good shape in my lifetime, and I don't know if they'd run now. Plus there's not much of it. There may be part of an N scale set left. I had sworn not to collect stuff I don't use, but I wandered through a hobby shop recently and these things are freakin' expensive new!

I actually wish I had some Legos left. At one time I had quite a big collection.

I still have my doll who is a 'Betsy Wetsy'. She came with her own pink bathtub.

My brother took a magnifying glass and a sunbeam and 'shortened' her eye lashes.

I thought I recognized you!

3862935_1.jpg

I kept a lot of the toys I played with as a child. My favorites were my Hotwheels collection, Johnny West action figures collection and the Steve Austin / Six Million Dollar Man with repair station. I still remember the day when my grandpa bought me the $6 million man at the store almost 40 years ago. What a great day that was! My kids played with some of the things I saved but they weren't nearly as interested as I thought they'd be!

Oh man. This thread is giving me regrets! My brother and I had lots of toys growing up but we always gave them away to the neighbours as we outgrew them.

We did keep or original nintendo system for quite a while but then gave that away too. I sometimes miss my G.I. Joes and hockey cards. All those cards were probably worth quite a bit... until the market bottomed out, that is.

Love the curious george book!

I still have my doll who is a 'Betsy Wetsy'. She came with her own pink bathtub.

My brother took a magnifying glass and a sunbeam and 'shortened' her eye lashes.

I also had a Betsy Wetsy but my favorite doll was Bonnie Braids . She came with a toothbrush and toothpaste to brush her teeth .

I still have an old Hubley cap gun from about 1954 and a chess set from 1958.

DW still has the table top NHL hockey game with the metal players and the original box from late 60's. I have the Atari 2600 and 5200 game systems w/games, upgraded controllers and original boxes too. A few years ago, I upgraded the joysticks to bring them back up to working order. I looked at ebay recently and I may be sitting on a small windfall for the Atari 5200 system.

Back
Top Bottom