Join Early Retirement Today

Do you have any toys from long ago?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you have any toys from long ago?

The first pic is a doll my momma and daddy gave me when I was four years old (50 years ago). She is wearing the original dress and shoes. Her hair used to be longer, but I trimmed it when I was little.

The second pic is a Cabbage Patch doll I bought in the 80's. The dress she's wearing is the dress I wore coming home the day after I was born.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02932.jpg (459.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02933.jpg (426.4 KB, 8 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Wow, yours are in incredibly good shape.

I didn't even know she had them, but my Mom just gave me my teddy bear, my "kitty" and my silver baby cup when I was home in November. The two stuffed animals are well worn (too sad looking to take pictures), guess they got a lot of love when I was a kid more than 55 years ago. Not sure what to do with them, but I haven't been able to bring myself to throw them away so they just sit on a bookshelf...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I still have the baseball, football, and other sports cards my brothers and I collected as kids. I don't recall how my oldest brother got out of the picture, but I bought out my older brother's share a few years ago.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I oldest thing I still have is the original Nintendo system and a few games from the late 1980's.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I still have the baseball, football, and other sports cards my brothers and I collected as kids. I don't recall how my oldest brother got out of the picture, but I bought out my older brother's share a few years ago.
I still have football and basketball cards from the very late 80's and thru out the 90's. I wish I would've sold them in the 90's though because they're almost all worth less now.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Midpack.

Taking those pics reminded me of other favorite toys from the past. One was a Woody Woodpecker talking hand puppet.

That memory caused me to look on ebay. Not sure if I'll buy one or not. It's the same toy, but it won't stir the same emotions....
Old 01-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am pretty bad about keeping things-I don't get rid of most things until they break. With that said, I don't recall having any toys left from when I was a kid. Between my brother and I they mostly got broke. Probably my oldest toy is the car I got in 1984. I still have the 76 Monte Carlo. It is my big boy toy.

OTOH, my inlaws always planned on having more kids. When my wife was done with something they carefully packed it up and preserved it for the next kid. That next kid never happened.

Imagine our surprise when they brought over a trailer of supplies upon the birth of their 1st granddaughter. A COMPLETE set of clothing and toys from birth through age 5.

Imagine our terror when we saw all of the carefully preserved baby clothes from 1970...

We had the grooviest kid at daycare!

And, yes, we have lots of toys around the house that my wife fondly remembers from her childhood.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I had a doll that I got for Christmas, 1955 and named Mary Jane. But, I gave Mary Jane to my daughter years ago. She has taken very good care of the doll, displays it, and has even made some minor repairs.

I have my father's microscope from medical school, that he let me use for fun when I was a pre-teen. I don't know if that counts as a toy, but I think that's the only one I still have.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have a stuffed dog from my baby days. I have no idea why I keep it as it is in really sad state and just sits in a rarely used desk drawer, but there it is.

I also have my first pair of skis and leather ski boots, bear trap bindings and all, (from when I was about 5 years old) mounted on the gable wall of my great room.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Extensive baseball card collection gone. Little brother still has all our GI Joe stuff, though. I'm pretty much the only antique at my house.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #11

My one and only toy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01212.jpg (891.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #12

I had younger siblings so there were no toys that survived from my childhood. They destroyed my Barbie and Midge dolls, obviously they 'played' very differently with toys than I did.

I do have a satin baby quilt that was made for me by a great aunt before I was born. The great aunt was an avid quilter and made many quilts through her church activities during her life. My mother never used it so it survived and is currently stored in my cedar chest. I hope to display it as a wall hanging one of these days.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #13

I have a stuffed monkey and a small stuffed bear from my childhood, both are very well loved. I never had dolls, only stuffed animals. A few years ago my Mom gave me the beaded bracelet with my name on it from from the hospital when I was born.

She also gave me a sack of teeth, my baby teeth and some permanent ones pulled to make some room when I had braces. I'll save those in case I'm ever missing and they need DNA for identification.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #14

At Grandmas in about 1984 I mentioned that I was going to buy some firecrackers for the 4th of July. A couple of minutes later she came out with a mess of jumbo BlackCats from when my mom was a kid in the 50s.

Those were fun.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
<snip>I had younger siblings so there were no toys that survived from my childhood. They destroyed my Barbie and Midge dolls, obviously they 'played' very differently with toys than I did.
I had a Barbie doll too. My momma made clothes for that doll... I swear I'd give my right arm if I still had that doll and her homemade clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
<snip>She also gave me a sack of teeth, my baby teeth and some permanent ones pulled to make some room when I had braces. I'll save those in case I'm ever missing and they need DNA for identification.
.....ahhh, thanks Sue. This is the first time I've laughed today.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #16

I asked DW that question once, and she dug out a Barbie doll she received when she was just about at the age of losing interest in playing with dolls.

It was in pristine condition, still in the box with all the accessories.

We sold it on eBay for well over $1,000 in 1998.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

I have always loved to read so of course my favorite toy was a book ! Notice the wonderful artistic touches that I added !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (934.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (574.6 KB, 5 views)
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #18

I have "Spot", a stuffed spotted dog with a jingle bell sewn into the ear that was always at Grandmother's house. Spot is still in one piece, but I don't know how much handling of any sort he would survive these days. Now that you mention books I have one or two Uncle Wiggly books and a few other kid books from my Grandmother's place.

I have a rather crude glazed & fired clay mask of my dad I made in gradeschool.

I thought I had gotten rid of my electric trains, but they were still at Mom's house. Now they're in my house. I've been waffling on whether to keep them or get rid of them. My nephews would probably enjoy them. I have some HO scale trains and track and some Lionel / O27 stuff that was my dad's or his brother's as a kid. I probably once or twice ever had them hooked up an running, but they were never in good shape in my lifetime, and I don't know if they'd run now. Plus there's not much of it. There may be part of an N scale set left. I had sworn not to collect stuff I don't use, but I wandered through a hobby shop recently and these things are freakin' expensive new!

I actually wish I had some Legos left. At one time I had quite a big collection.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I still have my doll who is a 'Betsy Wetsy'. She came with her own pink bathtub.

My brother took a magnifying glass and a sunbeam and 'shortened' her eye lashes.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I thought I recognized you!

TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote