Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Do you have blue eyes? We're related!
Old 01-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Do you have blue eyes? We're related!

Blue-Eyed People Have One Common Ancestor
Submitted by News Account on 30 January 2008 - 9:19pm. Genetics
A team at the University of Copenhagen have tracked down a genetic mutation which took place 6-10,000 years ago and is the cause of the eye color of all blue-eyed humans alive on the planet today.
What is the genetic mutation?
“Originally, we all had brown eyes”, said Professor Eiberg from the Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine. “But a genetic mutation affecting the OCA2 gene in our chromosomes resulted in the creation of a “switch”, which literally “turned off” the ability to produce brown eyes.”
The OCA2 gene codes for the so-called P protein, which is involved in the production of melanin, the pigment that gives color to our hair, eyes and skin. The “switch”, which is located in the gene adjacent to OCA2 does not, however, turn off the gene entirely, but rather limits its action to reducing the production of melanin in the iris – effectively “diluting” brown eyes to blue. Therefore the switch’s effect on OCA2 is very specific.
If the OCA2 gene had been completely destroyed or turned off, human beings would be without melanin in their hair, eyes or skin color – a condition known as albinism.

Limited genetic variation
Variation in the color of the eyes from brown to green can all be explained by the amount of melanin in the iris, but blue-eyed individuals only have a small degree of variation in the amount of melanin in their eyes.
“From this we can conclude that all blue-eyed individuals are linked to the same ancestor,” says Professor Eiberg. “They have all inherited the same switch at exactly the same spot in their DNA.”
Brown-eyed individuals, by contrast, have considerable individual variation in the area of their DNA that controls melanin production.
Professor Eiberg and his team examined mitochondrial DNA and compared the eye color of blue-eyed individuals in countries as diverse as Jordan, Denmark and Turkey. His findings are the latest in a decade of genetic research, which began in 1996, when Professor Eiberg first implicated the OCA2 gene as being responsible for eye color.
Nature shuffles our genes
The mutation of brown eyes to blue represents neither a positive nor a negative mutation. It is one of several mutations such as hair color, baldness, freckles and beauty spots, which neither increases nor reduces a human’s chance of survival. As Professor Eiberg says, “It simply shows that nature is constantly shuffling the human genome, creating a genetic cocktail of human chromosomes and trying out different changes as it does so.”
Article: Hans Eiberg, Jesper Troelsen, Mette Nielsen, Annemette Mikkelsen, Jonas Mengel-From, Klaus W. Kjaer, Lars Hansen, Blue eye color in humans may be caused by a perfectly associated founder mutation in a regulatory element located within the HERC2 gene inhibiting OCA2 expression, Human Genetics, 10.1007/s00439-007-0460-x.
~~~~~~~~~~
Blue-Eyed People Have One Common Ancestor | Scientific Blogging

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Well hi, cousin!

Interesting article.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have brown eyes. So that means I am full of something.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You're related to my mother and son but not me....
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #5

I don't think it works that way. Some brown eyed mothers have blue eyed children. Surely they are related.

With recessive and dominant genes for a particular characteristic (eye-color) you may be able to infer a common mutation produced the recessive gene, but that doesn't mean all related individuals display the characteristic. If you have the gene you are theoretically at least distantly related to someone else who has the gene, but you both may be any eye color, depending on what other genes for eye color you each have. Aside from modern genetic tests, the only way to "see" the blue eye gene was that in people with blue eyes you know they have the gene, where in people with brown or green eyes it is uncertain whether they have it (recessive) or not. In other words, if you have blue eyes, you may or may not be related to people with brown eyes and likewise if you have brown eyes you may or may not be related to people with blue eyes. All the common ancestor mutation theory addresses is that If you have blue eye, you are (however distantly) related to the other people with blue eyes.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Blue-Eyed People Have One Common Ancestor
Submitted by News Account on 30 January 2008 - 9:19pm....The mutation of brown eyes to blue represents neither a positive nor a negative mutation. It is one of several mutations such as hair color, baldness, freckles and beauty spots, which neither increases nor reduces a human’s chance of survival.
to say blue-eyed people have only one common ancestor assumes the mutation in that gene only occurred once. how do they know it didn't happen in more than one person so many years ago?

based on my own attraction to the combination of brown hair and blue eyes, i'm not convinced it doesn't increase the human chance of survival if hetero's see the same thing i do; as i've noticed it sure does make for a mutation in my genes.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #7

I always figured that blue eyed people were mutants.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

What about greenish-blue, or is it bluish-green...?

"We're just mutants of this here monster..."

Black Oak Arkansas

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mother Zipper blue..................Father Zipper brown.

The Zipper and 1 brother blue...1 brother brown.

Mrs. Zipper ...........................green.

#1 son blue............................daughter-in-law brown.

All three grandchildren..............blue.

#2 son blue.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote