Join Early Retirement Today

Do you have enough ?
Old 06-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you have enough ?

Quote:
According to a 2010 study by a German demographic research institute, the countries with the highest number of "supercentenarians" -- those aged 110 and over --are the United States, Japan, the United Kingdom, France and Italy.
The study, prompted by rising numbers of centenarians, found more than 600 supercentenarians internationally.

World's oldest person dies, aged 116, just days after rival passes - CNN.com

The title subject retired at age 65 and had a 51 year retirement, dying at 116 years old !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #2

that's why we don't include the home equity in our retirement planning. If I live past 95 (current planning in firecalc) we can always sell the house to pay for the nursing home.
Or go live with the kids.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Over 100? *SNORT*

I'm just hoping to become the first male in many generations to make it to 70. 100 is so far out on the distribution tail for me, that I don't bother considering it.

I'm not entirely sure that targeting 100 for longevity is reasonable for the average retiree.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Hitting 100 yo? You have much better chance to be hit by a thunder, or won a lotto.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
gone traveling

So I guess next we will hear, 100 is the new 70.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wait till three-D printed replacement organs are available and get really cheap. You can afford them, but can you?

It will just move the ER point forward.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountry View Post
Hitting 100 yo? You have much better chance to be hit by a thunder, or won a lotto.
I gotta run out and buy some lottery tickets right now!!!!

On second thought, a nasty storm is coming through and I hear thunder - could be a wash!

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...etirement-tool

Anyhow, a 65 YO couple has a 5% chance of one living to 100. And a 4% and 1% for each individually.

That's a loooooooong, loooooong way from lotto/lightening odds.

-ERD50
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot-65YO-couple-LE-to-100.png (28.0 KB, 11 views)
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #8

Good answers !

There is a 5% chance I am screwed financially at 85, 10% at 91. I just hope that I am senile enough at that point to not give a darn if the menu is made up of dog food.

I couldn't imagine going to 116. My grandpa was 94 and that felt "too old".
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My parents are 91, and they'd be the first to day it's not much fun. I hope I don't last that long...YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

My parents died "young" (78 & 86) but their parents & grandparents lived to 100 and beyond. My 97 year old uncle just lost his second wife (only 88 ) and he is looking to remarry. He is spry and just passed his driver's test. I hope to live well past 100.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Over 100? *SNORT*

I'm just hoping to become the first male in many generations to make it to 70. 100 is so far out on the distribution tail for me, that I don't bother considering it......
My genetics are almost as bad. I'm hoping to be the 1st guy to make it to 75.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure what to think. Dad passed at 75 but Mom is 82 and still going strong despite smoking like a chimney and regular happy hours. But Gram lived to 98 and great-aunt to 94.

DW's mom died in her 80s.

My plan is for 100 but it seems like a long shot.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
My genetics are almost as bad. I'm hoping to be the 1st guy to make it to 75.
So are my mom's. Her parents died in their 50s and early 60s. I don't think her grandparents lived too long either. But she's 76 and the doctor says she could easily make it to 90. Genetics are only part of the story. Healthier living, and advances in medicine for whatever did in your ancestors can change a lot.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #14

The longevity issue is the reason why annuities are an integral part of my FIRE planning. My plan includes a combo of deferred annuities bought in my 40s, and SPIAs after 70.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
The longevity issue is the reason why annuities are an integral part of my FIRE planning. My plan includes a combo of deferred annuities bought in my 40s, and SPIAs after 70.
In your situation (as it is today), annuities make some sense. With interest rates so low, I would wait as long as possible to buy them. Consider also that you might acquire a family in future. A young person should be cautious about committing everything to one plan all at once.