• Yes

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Don't know or undecided

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
?

A friend gave me a bag of apples from his tree, and I'm deciding whether to make some apple jelly from it. We'd eat some and give some to friends.

But I seem to remember that apple jelly is a little boring, and it might not be worth the effort, so I thought I'd get a feeling for what percentage of people like apple jelly.

Last edited:
Don't like apple jelly, but I love apple butter. I have downed many a peanut-butter and apple butter sandwhich on wheat bread in my childhood. It was the sweetest treat the parents would let me have (health nuts).

It is delicious! Put it on fresh whole wheat bread, with real butter, and a glass of whole milk, and it would remind me of my childhood in the 1950's. Haven't had it since about then, either, but I should.

How about apple sauce? Easier to make, too.

I love apple butter but like apple jelly, too. I said "yes" on the poll. Yummy, I haven't thought of apple jelly/butter in years. My grandmother made both all of the time. Mmmmm. . . really reminds me of my childhood.

Do you have enough apples to do both?;)

We used to make apple jelly all the time. The best is made from very tart apples like crab apples. We would get a nice bright red flavorful jelly. I do not like jelly made from eating apples as much and prefer apple sauce or apple butter.

I love it. I found that if you don't mind if it isn't crystal clear, the recipe is easy. The hard work comes in trying to get it clear, lots of hanging in cheese cloth, and clarifying. Tastes the same.

Some recipes call for a bit of cinnamon.

-ERD50

edit - what MArtha said - I LOVE it made from tart crabapples. Nice and tangy.

A friend gave me a bag of apples from his tree, and I'm deciding whether to make some apple jelly from it. We'd eat some and give some to friends.
But I seem to remember that apple jelly is a little boring, and it might not be worth the effort, so I thought I'd get a feeling for what percentage of people like apple jelly.
It sounds like a real challenge to adequately balance the overpowering sweetness with just the right addition of alcohol...

Otherwise I'd just make a pie.

I don't really like apple jelly since it doesn't have much flavor, but, I do like jalapeno jelly that does have flavor. Maybe you can make apple/jalapeno jelly and see what happens...sounds kinda good to me.

I like it. Got a jar in the frig right now. Anyone ever heard of strawberry fig preserves? I have a fig tree in the back yard so my mother tried a recipe a golf buddy of mine gave me. Mash up the figs and cook them. Add a box of strawberry jello and some sugar. Mix and cook until thick. Sounds gross but taste and looks like strawberry preserves. :)

I vote with the apple butter crowd.

Apple Butter is banned from our home.

I made a batch once, it needs to cook overnight in the oven. The very sweet smell just triggered something in my wife who was pregnant at the time.

Ever since then, the sight, smell, mention of Apple Butter makes her feel nauseous.

But I like it :)

-KCMW

Back
Top Bottom