Join Early Retirement Today

Do You listen to the Internet radio in the car?
Old 01-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was just curious how many forum members do this. I have pretty much given up on over the air radio. I do get the Los Angeles stations and I am still not happy. But the internet radio is a whole new ballgame. In short it is awesome. If I was not so cheap I would get a smart phone so I can do this. I just might do it anyways. Who else is interested in this or is currently taking advantage of it?

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #2

I like our local station. When on long road trips through areas that lack broadcasts of similar style of music, I will often stream it through my car via my smart phone and Tuned In Radio App.; we also use Pandora.

edit to add app.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

We use and enjoy two different services, both free (but which have periodic advertisements): Pandora and AccuRadio. We broadcast them over a Bose Sound Dock which we rigged with a small bluetooth device we bought on eBay for, like, $5. Works well. We also swear by our Mini Jam Box, which is a bluetooth speaker that has great sound and fits in your pocket -- and has an 8-hour charge.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #4

If there are certain radio stations you enjoy and want to listen to when you are on the road away from home, both iheartradio and Tunein are good apps for this. Many stations are only on iheartradio, so you need it to listen to them, while TuneIn picks almost all the rest, plus international stations. I sometimes enjoy listening to talk radio in the UK or South Africa or Australia (I'm English language only).

For music there are so so many choices. It's more a matter of taste and habit which you like. I've been using iTunes Radio lately and have enjoyed it.

Also consider podcasts. This is really what I listen when one the road. There are so many interesting and informative podcasts our there to choose from. It's also a good fallback when way out in the boonies with no cell coverage.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When driving fro a DC to Florida I will occasionally stream NPR or Radio Paradise. RP plays an eclectic mix from the 60s thru the present.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #6
Administrator

I regularly stream folk alley - they have an awesome app. NPR is another fave but frankly their app is almost useless. I keep hoping for improvement.

Have you checked out amazons echo? Amazon Echo review - CNET
Old 01-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

How much data do you use when running internet radio? I'm assuming we are talking about non-wifi use.

Here is one article I found that estimated 1.7 GB of data if used for 1hr/day over 30 days: How Much Of Your Broadband Allowance Does Internet Radio Consume? - hypebot
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We connect the iPhone for iTunes when travelling long distances. We like local stations but do not drive a lot anymore.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #9
Administrator

I just bought a Bluetooth speaker for the iPhone and can see the advantage of streaming while on the road. We will try it next trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
How much data do you use when running internet radio? I'm assuming we are talking about non-wifi use.

Here is one article I found that estimated 1.7 GB of data if used for 1hr/day over 30 days: How Much Of Your Broadband Allowance Does Internet Radio Consume? - hypebot
The Verizon data calculator says 30 hours is 1.8 GB, AT&T's calculator says 1.0 GB. Based on our last road trip the Verizon calculator overestimates data usage.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Listen to Pandora in the car most of my drive time
Old 01-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

NPR radio home and car. 4 broadcasting stations cover about 150 miles here in IL. In FL, couldn't get even one station in central Fl. Music - 8 gig on my mp3 player.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #12

Two recently new cars we bought both had 3 month trials and while we enjoyed it, I didn't think that the expense was worth it. I liked the BBC and a few of the hits channels but with the ability to stream bluetooth from the phones it's hard to justify.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I only pay $20 for unlimited everything on a smart phone. This is through Cricket Wireless and we have five users so it brings the rate down to $20 per line on the 1gb unlimited plan. For one line its $35 with auto pay on the 1gb unlimited plan. You get 1gb of high speed then you are throttled to 128k afterward. This is still enough to stream music. Even when throttled I run GPS and stream talk radio at the same time.
mike143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:08 PM   #14

Lifetime sirius/xm in 3 cars. $250 total. I doubt they offer this anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Spotify
34rlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:13 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

No since it uses to much of my bandwidth and slows down my streaming videos that I watch while driving.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Spotify is my favorite. In the car, at home, and at work. Love my own playlists, and also following the playlists of some of my favorite artists.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #18

I bought a standalone internet radio a few years ago. This model was being cleared out and I got it cheap - around $30 IIRC. I bought one for my SO too and we both use them on a very regular basis. I listen mainly to the BBC on mine, and it's much more convenient than listening on the computer. I can switch it on, push the preset for the station I want and bingo - it's there!

EDIT - I just realized that the title of this thread asks about listening in the car. My mistake - sorry about that. I'm afraid I don't listen in the car because I don't have a car

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I was just curious how many forum members do this. I have pretty much given up on over the air radio. I do get the Los Angeles stations and I am still not happy. But the internet radio is a whole new ballgame. In short it is awesome. If I was not so cheap I would get a smart phone so I can do this. I just might do it anyways. Who else is interested in this or is currently taking advantage of it?
Yeah we started using Apple radio this last car trip and I'm going to drop out satellite radio subscription.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I bought a standalone internet radio a few years ago. This model was being cleared out and I got it cheap - around $30 IIRC. I bought one for my SO too and we both use them on a very regular basis. I listen mainly to the BBC on mine, and it's much more convenient than listening on the computer. I can switch it on, push the preset for the station I want and bingo - it's there!

EDIT - I just realized that the title of this thread asks about listening in the car. My mistake - sorry about that. I'm afraid I don't listen in the car because I don't have a car

Major Tom, what kind of a connection allows the internet radio to play on this standalone radio?

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote