Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2008, 04:49 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, about 50 miles from my hometown. My parents moved further away than I did when they retired - not rural enough for them, too rural for me
F-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2008, 04:52 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No, left Chicago at age 17 and I have not been back to live there. DW and kids did live there for a year on two occasions while I was "touring" other parts of the World. Currently live in central OH which is the closest I have gotten to Chicago since 17. Have visited a few times and, frankly, I hope I do not get closer.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:23 AM   #23

Yes, I live in my grandparents house, next door to my parents. I'm just 40 miles from Boston so commuting to make decent pay is not an issue. I love my neighborhood and city, wouldn't live anywhere else.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:31 AM   #24

Grew up in Maryland just north of Washington, DC and didn't leave until retirement. It used to be a nice place to live but idiot moronic stupid imbecile abdicate responsibility politicians ruined it by overbuilding and not building roads so people have to plan their lives around traffic and spend hours just sitting in their cars.

So we moved about 80 miles away - still close enough to family but don't have to plan our lives around traffic.

Can you tell that on the social scale I think politicians are only one grade up from child molesters?
Old 03-26-2008, 06:53 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Live within 20 minutes of where I grew up. Have been fortunate that the area I'm in has employment opportunities versus the more rural, western part of the state. Close to family and friends, and feel fortunate that I have been able to do so.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:43 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Same metro area, about an hour from where I grew up. DW, OTOH, followed me here after college, so she is about 1800 miles from where she grew up.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:51 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yup, born and raised in Calgary and still here (except for the 2 years that I lived in Tulsa, OK). Brought my American husband back with me from Tulsa and he loves it here...Calgary is home.

Reasons for staying: great economy, family and friends, lots to do recreationally, close to the Rocky mountains, friendly people, big city (1 million +) but without a lot of crime. DH jokes about returning to the States one day but then we realize how good we have it here.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:15 AM   #28

No, I went from Missouri to Colorado for college and have been here ever since.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Nope, Michigan is one of those states where your parents and grandparents raise you with the knowledge that you need to move away to find a job. I moved the day after I graduated with a BS to Colorado which had 1/2 the unemployment rate and had a job within the week. I like visiting certain parts of the state but no interest in going back. Denver is perfect for me.
Caoineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Nope, 6500 miles away. Grew up in a small town that made Moemg's Frackville look like the big city. Great place to grow up, or maybe to discover later in life, but in between there's a big wide world out there.
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #31

same darn house, kids going to schools i went to...it's a little surreal but comforting (easy?)

mostly to be close to family and good schools ...parents moved to next town when i graduated high school but kept the house...i got lucky since we wouldn't be able to afford this area otherwise.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Still within 20 miles of where I grew up. Small rural university town. Decent place to raise a family. Planned to move on after graduation, but got a great job offerwhile in college, and now I hope to FIRE within a couple of years, hopefully by age 53 or so.

I have visited numerous other places I could love to live in, but with family ties and great parks and lakes, I enjoy living here and visiting other places.

Now my son is nearing graduation, but the economic climate is such that he is prepared to move out of the state if need be. Then we'll have another place to visit!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Nope. My dad's jobs kept us moving every ten years or so. Got to live in some pretty nice places. My sister moved back to St. Louis though. Nice to visit and see relatives, but no desire to move back.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

My hometown is 80 miles from Indianapolis (where I've lived for the last 40 years). Hometown population in 1930--5000 / 1940--5000 / 1950--5000 / 1960--5000 / 1970--5000 / 1980--5000 / 1990--5000 / 2000--5000 / 2005--5000. Hometown was glass-based industry town with no growth. Graduated from Butler in Indianapolis in 1972. Wife got mega-corp job in Indianapolis in 1970 with super benefits so that's where we stayed. Wife has 2 sisters still living in hometown and we go back to visit quite often, but after 8-10 hours it becomes very confining. Would not consider moving back because everytime you need to do extensive shopping you're driving 50 miles roundtrip, plus all our doctors, dentists, bankers, and stores we frequent are less than 10 miles from where we live.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #35

just got off the phone with this guy (i'm on the right). i actually just found these pictures last night and emailed them to my friend.

moved at age 16 with parents to st. croix usvi from where i grew up in bergen county nj. the ol'man had taken a hess refinery job, building docks for the supertankers which were new at that time. still have lots of friends from hometown, some living in the same houses they grew up in but most scattered from new york to california. many of us still talk a few times a month and i've others who i'm friendly with but i only see every so often.

i was last in my hometown this past september where i stayed at a friends house which was his mother's house. we used to practice guitar in his garage. walking through town i noticed my old house up for sale. asking price $650k. here is picture of it back then:

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

No, hometown is some 6000 mi away; never really meant to leave for good, but never regretted the decision. Strangely enough, where I am now feels like "home" -- like no other place ever did...
lucija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Over 2100 miles from where I was born, never been back. But I'm another Military Brat who lived all over the world and have relocated with my career four times. What's a "hometown?"

Strictly a personal choice, but I feel sorry for folks who live in the same place all their lives. It's a big, fascinating world out there.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #38

"Strictly a personal choice, but I feel sorry for folks who live in the same place all their lives. It's a big, fascinating world out there."

I agree with that. We plan on meandering around at retirement. Im sure eventually we will find a spot to settle down.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:11 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

same state, 250 miles away.

i outgrew my home town when i was a kid. LOL
i go visit every 10 yrs or so just for the fun of it.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #40

Different state, but only 20 some miles from where I grew up.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote