Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2008, 06:07 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
I grew up in a small town in Montana. I love to go back and visit family and old friends. I would have stayed in the area if there had been more opportunity to earn a good income. Even today, $15/hour is a decent wage there. So I guess you could say I left for the $$$$$$$. Now live 400 miles away.

Heck, back in my hometown of Rockingham, NC, a whole lot of folks would be very happy to get a $15 an hour job. Back there, it's more like $8-$9 IF you can find a job. I left home in 1977 when I enlisted in the Air Force. Sort of....I spent my whole 4 1/2 years enlistment sationed in my home state! Good old Seymour Johnson AFB in Goldsboro, NC. Nice town though. After the Air Force, I landed a government job in Austin, Texas where I spent the next 15 years. Then, the base I worked at got closed by the BRAC and I moved here to Lousiana. My main motivator for moving away from my home town/state was economic. Lack of oportunity. Not much going on there at the time besides textile mills. Nowadays, that's not even going very well. Mostly shipped overseas. Jobs are tough to find in my hometown.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Same city. Didn't plan it that way. In fact I did move away after college but a better job was offered to me so I moved back home.

I'm not closing the door on a move one day though. After my mother and aunt are gone, I really won't have anything holding me here. I might stay as I have a lot of friends here, but trying something different might be in order. Who knows.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #43
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
"Strictly a personal choice, but I feel sorry for folks who live in the same place all their lives. It's a big, fascinating world out there."

I kind of envy them because they usually have a lot of family and long time friends in the area .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:48 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I kind of envy them because they usually have a lot of family and long time friends in the area .
I guess if you get along with your family thats a great thing. Anyways I love mine and figure we can do both with traveling and visiting.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I live almost 4000 miles from my hometown. I like to visit, but would not like to live there again. But I might consider the countryside around it, which is very beautiful. Problem is, it's also very expensive. As a compromise, I am planning to have my ashes scattered in the sea off my favourite piece of coastline. I'll let my executors work out the details of that. Give 'em something to do to earn their fee!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

No. Grew up half a world away (Eastern Asia). Moved to the US as a teenager and never looked back. We might go back to visit or travel through Asia when we reach FI, but MN is home for now.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #47

Hmmm - Grew up in No Cal...I am the only one of all my cousins and assorted relatives that live no further East than Reno! Left for the USN in 1988 - never moved back! Moved to NJ from MI in 2001...I am "home" now Someone has to love this place!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #48
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I live almost 4000 miles from my hometown. I like to visit, but would not like to live there again. But I might consider the countryside around it, which is very beautiful. Problem is, it's also very expensive. As a compromise, I am planning to have my ashes scattered in the sea off my favourite piece of coastline. I'll let my executors work out the details of that. Give 'em something to do to earn their fee!

That is a beautiful area ! Is it Ireland ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:24 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Yes, I live 3.13 miles from the house I grew up in. Stayed here close to family, friends and work.
3.13 miles? Looks like somebody got a GPS for Christmas
Old 03-27-2008, 02:16 AM   #50

Born south of London England (Carshulton),Dad liked to move so we moved every year till i was 10 then emigrated to Canada to wonderful place called Chibougamou Quebec,that lasted a year when dad decides to move to Toronto but the car broke down in Montreal so we spent the next 8yrs moving around the Montreal area actually stopping for 3yrs in the suburb Chateauguay(3 different houses),then for my 18 birthday Dad says we are immigrating to Florida By this time i had developed some friends and had a social life so with a bit of encouragement from the looming mandatory draft and the prospect of an all expense paid vacation in Viet Nam i finally got off Dads express train at the Chateauguay station and been calling it home for the last 40yrs
Mom and Dad are in their early 80's now and only moving every 2 or 3 years.
A couple of positive aspects of all this moving is they have unintentionally made a ton of money on their continual buy and sell a house lifestyle,and when i go to Florida i have a place to stay Rant over.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
3.13 miles? Looks like somebody got a GPS for Christmas
I measured it on Google Earth, but I do have 7 GPS's for work and play.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
As a compromise, I am planning to have my ashes scattered in the sea off my favourite piece of coastline. I'll let my executors work out the details of that. Give 'em something to do to earn their fee!
One of Dad's friend's father died and his wishes were to be scattered in the ocean. So dad took his friend and the remains on his 26' boat (that is about as old as I am) out past the Barnegat Bay inlet and they fulfilled the old guy's last wishes. Not sure if the state of NJ or the Feds would necessarily approve, but...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Definitely a down side of moving around, but worth it IMO. You learn to make good friends more easily moving around, and you can stay in touch with your old friends - you never know when your paths will cross.

Everywhere I have lived I have known people who have lived in the same (typically small) town all their lives who tell me 'this is the best place to live in the world, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.' And I always counter with 'if you've never lived anywhere else, how could you know that?' Going on a one or two week vacation somewhere certainly doesn't qualify anyone to conclude 'they live in the best place in the world.' Usually get the German Shepard look after the exchange. I'm glad people are happy living in the town I live in today, but it ain't the best place in the world by any stretch... Life can be so much more interesting than the perspective of one little dot on the big blue marble.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #54

For me I guess the answer is yes even though I have lived several places in between. Being an introvert, I like being close to family/friends but it isn't the main reason why I have stayed. Economics and financial implications play a role in where I go. It just so happens that my best opportunity a year or so ago was right in my hometown. I did ge to live in NY for 3 months on the company's wallet which was a nice change of scenary.

I have been offered a new position in a new city this past week. If the final negotiations work out in a favorable way I am off to a new place - no second thoughts. I intend to manage my career in that sense so long as I am a corporate grunt.

If I had a skill that could guarantee employment, good pay and could be transferred to any place in the country, I would have a different approach - a bit more open- minded, risk taking approach that would take me to all of those places I would love to live. The west coast without a doubt would be my first stop.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #55

i've lived in ventura county CA. my whole life other than a 1 year stint
in northern virginia. I've never felt like moving elsewhere. so. cal.
is a pretty attractive place by most people's std's, maybe if i had
grown up somewhere w/ less opportunities i'd be elsewhere..
mh is offline   Reply With Quote