Do you live close to your hometown?

As a compromise, I am planning to have my ashes scattered in the sea off my favourite piece of coastline. I'll let my executors work out the details of that. Give 'em something to do to earn their fee!

One of Dad's friend's father died and his wishes were to be scattered in the ocean. So dad took his friend and the remains on his 26' boat (that is about as old as I am) out past the Barnegat Bay inlet and they fulfilled the old guy's last wishes. Not sure if the state of NJ or the Feds would necessarily approve, but...

I kind of envy them because they usually have a lot of family and long time friends in the area .
Definitely a down side of moving around, but worth it IMO. You learn to make good friends more easily moving around, and you can stay in touch with your old friends - you never know when your paths will cross.

Everywhere I have lived I have known people who have lived in the same (typically small) town all their lives who tell me 'this is the best place to live in the world, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.' And I always counter with 'if you've never lived anywhere else, how could you know that?' Going on a one or two week vacation somewhere certainly doesn't qualify anyone to conclude 'they live in the best place in the world.' Usually get the German Shepard look after the exchange. I'm glad people are happy living in the town I live in today, but it ain't the best place in the world by any stretch... Life can be so much more interesting than the perspective of one little dot on the big blue marble.

For me I guess the answer is yes even though I have lived several places in between. Being an introvert, I like being close to family/friends but it isn't the main reason why I have stayed. Economics and financial implications play a role in where I go. It just so happens that my best opportunity a year or so ago was right in my hometown. I did ge to live in NY for 3 months on the company's wallet which was a nice change of scenary.

I have been offered a new position in a new city this past week. If the final negotiations work out in a favorable way I am off to a new place - no second thoughts. I intend to manage my career in that sense so long as I am a corporate grunt.

If I had a skill that could guarantee employment, good pay and could be transferred to any place in the country, I would have a different approach - a bit more open- minded, risk taking approach that would take me to all of those places I would love to live. The west coast without a doubt would be my first stop.

i've lived in ventura county CA. my whole life other than a 1 year stint
in northern virginia. I've never felt like moving elsewhere. so. cal.
is a pretty attractive place by most people's std's, maybe if i had
grown up somewhere w/ less opportunities i'd be elsewhere..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom