Join Early Retirement Today

Do you live close to your hometown?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you live close to your hometown?

If no is your answer, why did you leave? If yes, what made you stay?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

I grew up in Frackville,Pa. The total population was 2,000. I've been on cruises with more than that . It was a great place to grow up . Think Mayberry ! I left because there was a big world outside of Frackville,PA..
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

No. College and the military took me away, and life kept me from going back...
Old 03-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I grew up in a small town in Montana. I love to go back and visit family and old friends. I would have stayed in the area if there had been more opportunity to earn a good income. Even today, $15/hour is a decent wage there. So I guess you could say I left for the $$$$$$$. Now live 400 miles away.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Grew up in a small town in Upstate NY. Parents moved while I was in college. Lived in 5 states in 6 years. Been in Ohio for 30 years.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:31 PM   #6

I joined the Navy to get away from San Diego, and they sent me right back! I'll be looking for a more rural place with more rivers and trees than here when it comes time to move again.
RetiredGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No. Getting a good job was tough. I had to go find the money. Change can be difficult, but at times necessary.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #8

Yep! Even live in the same house.....it's been in the family for nearly 100 years. Though it's not perfect, this is a nice, fairly small, mostly rural town. There's more good about the town than there is bad......so I like living here.

The reason I originally stuck around, was that I got a decent job offer the night of my HS graduation.......I ER'd from that job last April @ 50! Life has been (and is) good here in my hometown!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I live within 10 miles of the house I grew up in and never lived more than 18 miles away. I've always been close to my entire family and that's the main reason I never left. All of my relatives live within 20 miles of each other except for one cousin who's 800 miles away.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #10

Yep for me too. I live in my grandparents house which is about 1 1/2 miles from where I grew up. Got a job where I always wanted to work, did the kind of work I always wanted to do and retired six month ago after 35 years.

Still working on the next chapter.......
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

876 miles that a way...

Not much to do, not much opportunity...

Still have extended family there, and visit occasionally. Love the countryside of southern Indiana.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:00 PM   #12

I'm an Airforce brat. What's a "hometown?"
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I live about 4200 miles from my hometown (Kailua, Oahu). My ex was in the Navy and was transferred to the mainland, so we married and I followed him.

I haven't been home in a long time, and I doubt I could afford to live there any more. I have enjoyed living in New Orleans, a small, diverse town in a balmy, almost tropical climate by the sea. There are some similarities.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Nope, over 1000 miles away. Not enough high tech opportunities around home after college, and I wanted to go somewhere new anyway.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I am also an Air Force brat and now in the Air Force so trying to figure out where to call my hometown. I am 34 and the longest I ever lived anywhere was 8 years.
RetireEarly50s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:47 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I live 4665 miles away from my hometown (in Europe). I never anticipated leaving for good. I was planning to study in the US for 2 years and then go back. But life had other plans for me. I met my soulmate while in school, got married and have been living in the US ever since. Even though I love living in the US, I miss my hometown a lot and we are considering the possibility to move there once we FIRE (nothing set in stone yet). But at any rate, it is very important for me to have my ashes scattered there no matter where I die. This is where I came from and that's where I want to end up, with the rest of my family.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:33 AM   #17

No, left for a hot chick. I do not know where Ill end up. But I can sure tell you where I wont be.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:55 AM   #18

No. I grew up in a university town in OR, but when I got my BS (computer
science), my job choices in 1979 were Seattle, Sunnyvale, or LA. I interviewed
around in January - it was about 80 degrees in LA, the beaches were filled with
bikinis - an easy decision for a 20 year old to make.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:10 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

No, I'm 5,400 miles from my home town. We moved from there when I was a kid. My mom said she couldn't take another cold winter, so we went west. I left my second home town after I married because of husband's work and never returned.
zoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:53 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I live 3.13 miles from the house I grew up in. Stayed here close to family, friends and work.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote