Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Your City?
I love my city passionately. There is no place I would rather be. 21 18.26%
I am pretty happy here, but if this were a human relationship it would be a tweener. 41 35.65%
No big deal or strong feelings either way. 23 20.00%
There are lots of places where I would rather be, but it is not getting to me. 23 20.00%
I detest being here; I can hardly wait to get a chance to move. 7 6.09%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
I don't love my city, not in a passionate, love to wander about, get involved, photograph, how lucky I am to live here sort of way. My relationship with it is transactional. It's where my j*b is.

But I am moving in 2011, and my answer might be different next year!
Oh? Are congratulations in order?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We love many cities.

I would be happy to live in Copenhagen again. Seattle. Kirkland. Portland. Ashland. There are a few cities in Japan I could get very attached to. NOLA, of course! Red Stick. Sarnia. Calgary. Pensacola. Oh, yeah--Bellingham. (How could I forget?)

My father told me once there were only two kinds of people in the world: those who stayed home and those who didn't. We didn't. The world is full of wonderful places. There are several on my list to see.

ol' Ed

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of the concepts I picked up from the military is that the two best places on earth are: The one you just departed and the one you are going to after the one you are currently at.
That said, San Antonio was great, the Ozarks are OK, but wait til you see what is next!!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I love where I live now. A lovely but rather busy suburb of Washington DC. The cost of living is too high to ER where I live now. I also love a beach town in North Carolina where I bought a beachfront condo back in 2003 with the plan to live there when I retire in 2014. That beach town is on a island only 2 miles long. Completely quiet in the off-season. Even on the 4th of July weekend, the sandy beach in front of my condo had a "crowd" of 7 persons! Yet this island is only a 10 minute drive from a larger town which offers a lot of history, vibrant night life, awesome restaurants, universities, boutiques, cafes, great bookstores, running, walking, and kayaking clubs, etc. So when I want to see people I drive for 10 minutes, when I want solitude I just return to my home at the beach. I am perfectly content when I am there.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I don't love my city, not in a passionate, love to wander about, get involved, photograph, how lucky I am to live here sort of way. My relationship with it is transactional. It's where my j*b is.

But I am moving in 2011, and my answer might be different next year!

Pick a better place, North of 49 will probably suit you. South disappoint the rest.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:46 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hong Kong is the city I have been staying in for the past 20 years and I love it. It is not actually just a city - it is called a Special Administrative Zone after China took it back. People talk about the pollution and noise here but it is really not that awful and where I stay is pretty quiet and yet is walking distance to the train station. We do have clear blue skies some days and the weather is very kind in terms of not being too cold or too hot. It has not changed drastically since it was returned to China. It is still very cosmopolitan and super efficient - for instance, you can visit 3 banks (as in getting things done through bank teller) and still have time for lunch during your lunch hour. It has relatively low taxes compared to many countries.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

If I could think of better place in the world, I would have already moved there. . .
Old 01-12-2011, 03:42 AM   #28

I voted "There are lots of places where I would rather be, but it is not getting to me."

Philadelphia Pa is fine and we live very comfortably but the reason we continue to live here are family responsibilies.
Other wise hubby and I would have decamped long ago. If it were up to us we would be living overseas.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:31 AM   #29

If it weren't for family, Chicago and specifically Illinois would be gone like a bad dream.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Tweener??

Tweener - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, there are several cities that I am passionate about -- San Francisco, New Orleans, Annapolis/DC, Memphis, Nashville, etc.

But we have never consider anywhere but Denver home.

(I will admit, however, that in the last year or so the SW "Indian Country" has become more and more tempting.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I like where I am in DC enough that I plan to stay right where I am but love? No. I can visualize other situations I would possibly like more but I am not sure it would ever come to a Studs Terkle level love affair. I envy you that Ha.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #32

No, I don't love my "city" and it's only 60K in population so it's not a city at all but more of a big small town. We moved from a town of 6K when I closed my business, so it's much better than that, but our current town is pretty much just a staging area while the kids finish up HS.

DW and I lived in Austin for four+ years when we were in college (that's where we met) and as a result I do have a special love for Austin. In fact, after our kids have graduated HS in about 6 years we plan to sell the big house and move either to Austin or down to Costa Rica. We may keep a small home base in Austin and just spend half the year in CR or something like that, but we are going to move SOMEWHERE interesting before we get too damn old!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #33

The thing I love best about the city is seeing it in my rear-view mirror. We left the mega city upon retirement five years ago and moved to the country. The nearest town has that small town character of parades around the square, festivals on the square, the old historic courthouse is there, and people sit on the benches and just enjoy the day and greet old and new friends.

There's not a sense of urgency in these rural communities. One of the best things about these areas is the self-sufficiency and resiliency of the people. If something needs to be done, people help. Out here, when someone gives you their word it means something. The young people were brought up with manners and use them - "yes, sir", "yes ma'am" not because they have to; but, because they are taught respect by watching their parents be respectful.

A few years ago a car cut in front of a fully loaded log truck and the driver of the car slammed on her brakes to stop at the stop light. The log truck couldn't stop in time and the driver had a choice to slam into the car (he could see little kids in the back seat) or run off the road into the culvert. He chose the latter. The cab of the truck slammed into the culvert and the logs he was hauling kept right on going until they came to a stop over the cab. All you could see were logs.

Several pickups stopped before the last log quit rolling. The men grabbed their chainsaws and started cutting the logs to free the driver, who thankfully was unhurt. They didn't wait for the sheriff or the fire department or someone to figure out what had to be done.

This is our adopted community and we couldn't be in a better place.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
If something needs to be done, people help. Out here, when someone gives you their word it means something. The young people were brought up with manners and use them - "yes, sir", "yes ma'am" not because they have to; but, because they are taught respect by watching their parents be respectful.

A few years ago a car cut in front of a fully loaded log truck and the driver of the car slammed on her brakes to stop at the stop light. The log truck couldn't stop in time and the driver had a choice to slam into the car (he could see little kids in the back seat) or run off the road into the culvert. He chose the latter. The cab of the truck slammed into the culvert and the logs he was hauling kept right on going until they came to a stop over the cab. All you could see were logs.

Several pickups stopped before the last log quit rolling. The men grabbed their chainsaws and started cutting the logs to free the driver, who thankfully was unhurt. They didn't wait for the sheriff or the fire department or someone to figure out what had to be done.
Come on now. People helping others happens just as often in big cities... perhaps more often even. (Well, maybe "grabbed their chainsaws" isn't very common around here.) If nothing else, in a large community, there are simply more highly trained individuals in close proximity to any event.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Born and raised in NYC, so cities seem kind of natural to me. But the older I get, the smaller I want my city to be.

Lived (for more than a year each) in Denver, Colorado Springs, Washington DC, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Monterey, Syracuse, Cincinnati, and Rio de Janeiro. Also lots and LOTS of smaller places.

If I were forced to pick a place to live out the rest of my days, it would probably be either the Pacific Northwest or somewhere in the Mountain time zone, although I'm also rather fond of Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine.

Definitely no farther south than where I am now (near Cincinnati).

As to the PNW, I like Portland and Seattle very much, but hate the traffic.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
...A few years ago a car cut in front of a fully loaded log truck and the driver of the car slammed on her brakes to stop at the stop light. The log truck couldn't stop in time and the driver had a choice to slam into the car (he could see little kids in the back seat) or run off the road into the culvert. He chose the latter. The cab of the truck slammed into the culvert and the logs he was hauling kept right on going until they came to a stop over the cab. All you could see were logs.

Several pickups stopped before the last log quit rolling. The men grabbed their chainsaws and started cutting the logs to free the driver, who thankfully was unhurt. They didn't wait for the sheriff or the fire department or someone to figure out what had to be done. ...
This is a wonderful story, ET, both about the townspeople and the log truck's driver's quick thinking.

I don't think chainsaws are even legal in my burb, never mind carrying them around in pickups--any sawing gets done by overpriced contractors. Another reason I voted in the middle on this poll.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I don't think chainsaws are even legal in my burb, never mind carrying them around in pickups--any sawing gets done by overpriced contractors. Another reason I voted in the middle on this poll.
Hmm! Then I guess that is a reason why the movie was called "The TEXAS chainsaw massacre". To be serious, here in Louisiana I think everybody has a chainsaw. I almost bought one myself but then decided to borrow his when I need one.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #38
gone traveling

I like where I live (Eastern fringe of Phoenix) in the winter. Summers, not so much.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hmm! Then I guess that is a reason why the movie was called "The TEXAS chainsaw massacre". To be serious, here in Louisiana I think everybody has a chainsaw. I almost bought one myself but then decided to borrow his when I need one.
'Cause you know us folks in East Texas have chain saws......
Old 01-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #40

What about Carbondale, IL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
If it weren't for family, Chicago and specifically Illinois would be gone like a bad dream.