Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Your City?
I love my city passionately. There is no place I would rather be. 21 18.10%
I am pretty happy here, but if this were a human relationship it would be a tweener. 42 36.21%
No big deal or strong feelings either way. 23 19.83%
There are lots of places where I would rather be, but it is not getting to me. 23 19.83%
I detest being here; I can hardly wait to get a chance to move. 7 6.03%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There's lots to love and hate about the DC area. For better or worse, it's my home. Family ties will keep us in the general area so we don't dream about moving anytime soon. So I'm not so much in love with the area but the friends and family who live here. Therefore, I try to focus on what I love and avoid what I hate.

One of the biggest drawbacks is the awful traffic. That's not such a problem now that I'm retired. One of the biggest benefits is how many interesting things there are to see and do.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
One of the biggest drawbacks is the awful traffic. That's not such a problem now that I'm retired. One of the biggest benefits is how many interesting things there are to see and do.
I didn't (last fall) find the traffic to be as bad as some cities -- Chicago, Minneapolis, Dallas, for instance -- but not all that pleasant either.

I do agree there is a concentration of "important/interesting things to do and see" greater than in any other place... at least, in the United States.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
None of these were my meaning. My meaning is something or someone who is filling a position or need to which or to whom one is not really committed, and will hopefully be replaced by a permanent position holder in the future.

Ha
Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
None of these were my meaning. My meaning is something or someone who is filling a position or need to which or to whom one is not really committed, and will hopefully be replaced by a permanent position holder in the future.
Gotcha. I wonder if the explanation/definition will/would have change(d) any votes? (I voted #1.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Are you kidding?!? We've lived all over the world, and we choose to live here... thousands of miles away from family, too. I may kvetch about things but I can't imagine living in any other climate or among any other culture(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
I also love a beach town in North Carolina where I bought a beachfront condo back in 2003 with the plan to live there when I retire in 2014. That beach town is on a island only 2 miles long. Completely quiet in the off-season. Even on the 4th of July weekend, the sandy beach in front of my condo had a "crowd" of 7 persons! Yet this island is only a 10 minute drive from a larger town which offers a lot of history, vibrant night life, awesome restaurants, universities, boutiques, cafes, great bookstores, running, walking, and kayaking clubs, etc.
So, um, how's the surf? I'm just curious...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
I also love a beach town in North Carolina where I bought a beachfront condo back in 2003 with the plan to live there when I retire in 2014. That beach town is on a island only 2 miles long. Completely quiet in the off-season. Even on the 4th of July weekend, the sandy beach in front of my condo had a "crowd" of 7 persons! Yet this island is only a 10 minute drive from a larger town which offers a lot of history, vibrant night life, awesome restaurants, universities, boutiques, cafes, great bookstores, running, walking, and kayaking clubs, etc. So when I want to see people I drive for 10 minutes, when I want solitude I just return to my home at the beach. I am perfectly content when I am there.
Except for the threat of hurricanes this would be my ideal place.

I grew up in a nice suburb of Cleveland. I just don't care for cities and I have no attachment to Cleveland, I generally avoid the place. My elderly parents and sister and BIL still live in the suburbs of Cleveland but that's as far as I go.

All my adult life we've lived in a suburb of Akron, OH. Slower pace than Cleveland, low cost of living and traffic is not a problem. I have a strong attachment to my house and my neighborhood but not to the city of Akron.

If we didn't have family here in NE Ohio we would consider moving. DH's family is outside of Denver so that would be an option.

But Retire2014's condo on a NC beach would be my dream.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

There was a time, long long ago, that I really enjoyed living here. My husband, my job, my house, my friends...life was not spectacular as far as the area goes for entertainment, job opportunities, or culture, but it was good.

I had to reinvent my own personal world in late 2004. It is tough being a widow in a community that was used to seeing you as one half of a couple. Some of my closest friends are still in my circle, but by and large, the "couples' world" I belonged to has drifted away. I say this not to invoke sympathy, but to illustrate the reality. I know some of the divorced folks here will be able to relate.

So my view of my community is somewhat tainted. I am seriously looking at leaving in the next year or two, to get that fresh start my "life coach" told me I needed. The most daunting part is the concept of selling the house, uprooting, and starting all over again. Inertia is another factor.

Mr B and I have a common dream to escape relocate. We just have to decide how badly we want to do that.

The funny thing is we are both making new friends lately. Hmmmmm
Old 01-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

I like my city less today after the overnight 66% state income tax hike.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
... a nice suburb of Cleveland.
Nah, I'm just not gonna go there.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 View Post
What about Carbondale, IL?
Well, the climate is nicer. However Carbondale residents also woke up today to find that the lame duck legislature had voted in the largest income tax increase in state history.

So no
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomG View Post
If I could think of better place in the world, I would have already moved there. . .
LOL! Me, too. It is impossible to love my entire city, think Bonfires of the Vanities or Let the Great World Spin. But I'm totally in love with my neighborhood. My idea of travel is to visit other lovable hoods within the city or nearby burbs and islands.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Well, the climate is nicer. However Carbondale residents also woke up today to find that the lame duck legislature had voted in the largest income tax increase in state history.

So no
I could almost live with the tax increase but...

Quote:
Not only are they raising taxes to avoid budget cuts, they're including a provision to let their spending continue to rise — year after year.
Goodbye, jobs - chicagotribune.com
Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I'll leave it Pat Conroy to explain it, from the Lords of Discipline:
"There is an old Charleston joke, someone asked an old Charleston woman why she never traveled anywhere and she replied 'Why should I travel, sir? I am already here' That's the way I feel about this city."

Although unlike Conroy's lady, I do love to travel, I will always call Charleston home.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #54

To tell the truth, I donīt know if I like my town or not. I certainly donīt love it. Funnily I never thoght of wanting to live some place else. If I had to move Iīd choose a walkable place with a high quality of living, less rainy, historical...
Old 01-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post

So no
We may not be far behind you in the Welfare Empire State.
TG that my primary income sources are both state tax exempt for now at least.

New York Property Tax Increases Sought - WSJ.com

This could be the real catalyst for us to leave. Just gotta make sure the grass is greener and will remain so.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I live in Wisconsin. Ask me this question again in June

Seriously though, I do like my city overall. I like the low-ish population density and traffic. I like the very low crime compared to most other areas. I like that I can go to any restaurant or department store and every employee actually speaks english. Wow, what a concept. The city I actually live in has very little to do but there's a bigger city <15 miles away that has plenty of nightlife and other things that appeal to me. If it wasn't so damn cold for 7 months of the year then i'd have no reason to leave.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Might very well stay in the Dallas area, but I don't love it...

A fair amount of stuff to do - professional sports teams, decent museum, tons o' restaurants, a couple of very good small music venues.

On the other hand, traffic is horrendous, as is Dallas city government. Hotter than blue blazes July-September. Butt ugly Scenically challenged...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
As to the PNW, I like Portland and Seattle very much, but hate the traffic.
Then you should consider the Kitsap Penisula--where I live. I still commute to work in Seattle but live out here. Quiet little town, about 11,000 people but close enough to a big city when I want/need that. I live on 2 1/2 acres (also have 5 acres for sale-hint hint). It is a nice community here and if your avatar is what you enjoy, then you would love all the micro-breweries here.

I like the NW very much. I didn't think I would because of the rain, but to be perfectly honest it really isn't that big of deal. This area is a great place to live in my opinion.
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #59

Pretty happy where I am now, but give me more time to really answer that one.
Hated Houston with a passion generally-speaking; DC was neither hot for nor hated; and did love big, 'ole dirty Chicago but the taxes are killing and the crime is too high.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I love my little town: Moscow, Idaho. Outdoor recreation heaven.
Hey, wow. We stopped in Moscow, Idaho on a recent trip, and were very impressed. We said "What's a neat, sophisticated little town like this doing here in the middle of nowhere?"

We had coffee and used the Internet in a coffee shop that had a lot of big couches and several rooms -- I'm sure you know it.

No pictures, just this one about 30 miles south of Moscow:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lewiston.jpg (163.3 KB, 4 views)