Join Early Retirement Today

Do You Notify CC Company When You Travel
Old 05-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do You Notify CC Company When You Travel

Just curious whether folks notify their credit card company before they travel.
I know you're supposed to do it if you travel internationally but for trips within the US?

Typically we have done that for "real" international trips but not for domestic US or even Canada. However on a relatively recent trip to Seattle, one of the cc companies got a bit sensitive even tho we have done that before even using their card.......so they had a prior history.

Easy enough to call one company but with this card for 3% on this and that card for 5% on that, it's a bit more involved...............
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All of my credit card companies can be notified of travel online. They've made it quite simple these days.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

We do it for international but have never even thought about doing the same for travel within US. I buy a lot of stuff online anyway so even when I'm on home turf, there's still a bunch of out of state charges to the card.

For international travel, we only have 2 cards that we use (1 primary, 1 backup). They're the only cards we have with no foreign transaction fee.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #4

Always for international--but limited number of cards [on those trips] and, as noted by Dash Man, online is easy.

For domestic, we do it if we expect substantial spending. Visit to see the folks? No. Visit to Wine Country or pricey restaurant destination? Yes.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #5

always notify cc when traveling. was in NY at US open. tried to buy a t-shirt. cc was turned down. never had that happen again when cc was notified.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I use cash most of the time and don't own any credit cards. I do have a debit card and I notify my credit union when i'm going to be traveling for an extended amount of time. It's pretty easy with just 1 card but could see it being a hassle if you have several cards.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I use cash most of the time and don't own any credit cards. I do have a debit card and I notify my credit union when i'm going to be traveling for an extended amount of time. It's pretty easy with just 1 card but could see it being a hassle if you have several cards.
I never use my debit card aside from withdrawing money from the ATM. With all the card information theft going on at major retailers, it just seems like a dangerous proposition since the debit card is linked directly to your bank account. At least with credit cards, it's the bank/issuer's money on the line.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Just curious whether folks notify their credit card company before they travel.
I know you're supposed to do it if you travel internationally but for trips within the US?

Typically we have done that for "real" international trips but not for domestic US or even Canada. However on a relatively recent trip to Seattle, one of the cc companies got a bit sensitive even tho we have done that before even using their card.......so they had a prior history.

Easy enough to call one company but with this card for 3% on this and that card for 5% on that, it's a bit more involved...............
Yes, because we are far enough from everywhere that my card gets blocked even if my destination is only 300 miles away.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:47 AM   #9

Don't bother. They send me a text if they are questioning a charge. I can reply that it is ok and good to go.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
All of my credit card companies can be notified of travel online. They've made it quite simple these days.
Yes, we definitely do so. Avoids a "turn down" of the credit.

Recently, DH was helping or DD with a project, and was only 70 miles away--bank card turned down! I was home and got a call from the bank so resolved quickly. Like another poster, we use just CC when traveling, but in this case, DH was at Sam's so he had to use the debit card.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

If you want to use a card outside the USA (and yes, as it turns out, that includes Canada), you'll want to let them know. My debit card was blocked when we crossed the border last summer, because I stupidly forget to notify Schwab. Had credit cards, but the debit was our cash access, so it cost us some inconvenience that first night until I could call in and get it lifted the next day.

In the USA, not really a need to notify.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I've never bothered in the US with my primary Chase credit card, and that's doing quite a bit of domestic travel. But I do try to remember to do it internationally - my card denied the charges in Canada, which is only four hours drive from home.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
Don't bother. They send me a text if they are questioning a charge. I can reply that it is ok and good to go.
So you haven't had your card denied? Happens to us all the time when traveling - even driving to a city 300 miles away - unless we notify the issuer of our travel plans.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #14

I make it a point to notify all three credit cards we carry of our travel plans ever since charges were denied at our hotel in Myrtle Beach 5 years ago.

Since that it's fairly easy to do it online why not?
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
In the USA, not really a need to notify.
I think it depends on the issuer of the card. My card was flagged because I bought gas out of state without notifying them. That's all it takes. I had to call the number on the card to get it reactivated and let them know where I was travelling.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
So you haven't had your card denied? Happens to us all the time when traveling - even driving to a city 300 miles away - unless we notify the issuer of our travel plans.
I have in the distant past with a citi master card. My Chase Saphire card, they text me to verify a charge was one I made and then good from there on out.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

aaron, true, enough. I usually have a few cards from different banks in my wallet so the text notice (at least in USA) is easy enough to do if it is flagged. Since I can pull out another one on fairly short notice.
I had one flagged last month when DH bought a bunch of stuff at an electronics supplier for a project. In our hometown.
I consider it a good thing for them to check with me, as I think protecting my info is a joint effort on both our parts.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #18

Always when traveling out of the country; never otherwise. Last year when I was vacationing for several weeks in VA, I got a text for the first time ever asking me to verify that I had just made a purchase in a Dollar Store. I responded "Yes" and credit card company texted back with a thank you. I had been charging pricey hotels, meals, gas all through VA for days prior to this but they questioned this one relatively small purchase.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Didn't fit your profile is why you got flagged on that one.

Hence my being called about an order of a super-high-end baby stroller.
<snort>

Old 05-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Discover card would decline my CC several times, even though I only traveled about 200 miles out of state. I'd then call to mention that I'm going out of town so don't shut off my CC. Eventually, they said I didn't need to call anymore. But when going out of the country, I'm gonna let them know, just in case.