Do you over analyze things?

I right size my analysis.

With any choice there is a first order decision that involves how much time, energy, and resources do you want to devote to making that decision. The second order decision is the decision itself.

For example, the decision of "what to have for dinner tonight" has very little consequence so not much time or energy required to make that decision. However I might devote more significant time to what to have for dinner for 30 people at the next family gathering since more time and cost would be involved in preparing that family dinner.

Something like "how do I want to renovate my kitchen" would require much more analysis since it involves significantly more cost, inconvenience during construction, and long term lasting consequences if one selects inferior, clunky, or difficult to maintain appliances, layouts, finishes, etc.

This is a pet peeve of mine - some folks jump straight into the decision itself instead of thinking first about how important the decision is and deciding on how to reach the decision. Think of the happy engaged couple that spends 2 hours deciding on their reception dinner's napkin color, style, motif, etc and then spends a mere hour searching and selecting a mortgage for the new house they are jointly buying. One decision will go barely noticed by most of their guests, the other will impact their family budget for years or decades.

On second thought, I think I have overanalyzed the question of whether I overanalyze things. :D

It depends on the topic. For FIRE, I will analyze and have plan A, B, C and maybe D before either of us quit our job.

But I've never been one to 'plan my life out'. I've changed jobs several times and even moved to Vegas just because it felt like the right thing to do.

My over analyzing planner brother thinks I'm nuts, but then he's been FIRED since he was 41 which was seven years ago, so over analyzing seems to be a good thing!

I think that satisficers are actually happier people since they are more likely to be satisfied while maximizers are much more likely to be disappointed. On the other hand, I haven't found a way to convert myself to being a satisficer.
Let me get this straight: you seem disappointed because you're still seeking a way to maximize your satisficerence.

I don't know the solution to that problem, but I think you're getting closer to identifying the root cause...

Let me get this straight: you seem disappointed because you're still seeking a way to maximize your satisficerence.

I don't know the solution to that problem, but I think you're getting closer to identifying the root cause...

LOL...but yeah you are right. Logically I understand that satisficers are happier and I even understand why. In my more defensive moments, I would say that they just have lower standards... But, yes, that is just being snarky.

On the other hand (see there I am analyzing) I can see the logic but can't seem to change my emotions. That is, as much as it makes sense to be a satisficer in any area that matters to me (and even some that really don't), I just can't seem to convert myself. It seems a bit like an introvert trying to become an extrovert. Sometimes you can fake it, but it is really hard to genuinely change innate personality traits.

I'm definitely an over-analyzer. Sometimes it's mostly good. I kept looking at my budget and realized things I was missing and that helped me get it more realistic so that I could better plan when I was ready to ER. I also keep looking at the investment side and see how I can be more tax efficient and have found some good things. But sometimes I'll drive myself crazy with the amount of time I spend researching hotels for a weekend stay, trying to find the very best one for the money when it probably doesn't matter very much.

One thing I've noticed is that when I'm depressed, I'm very indecisive. I shouldn't even bother shopping for clothes then, because I just can't pick one item over another.

I am definitely an over-analyzer. I assume it's the engineer coming out in me. I would never buy something because I THINK it will work. I have to KNOW it will work. DW and I go at it quite often because of this. She says "that's pretty. Lets get it and then figure out how to use it." Ex:
last fall we were remodeling our master bathroom. At the tile store she saw a mosaic (designed for use at the bottom of swimming pools). I posted about this in thread last September. It was on clearance for $150 and she had to have it. Told me she was going to put it on one wall of the shower. I didn't know how the tile guy would do this but she didn't care. She says "he'll figure it out". Almost got into a fight. I wanted to check it out with the tile setter first. She's afraid someone else will buy this one of a kind mosaic. She buys it anyway. Then we talk to the tile guy next day. He says, "I don't know. Never did one of those. I have to get another $250 to install that. If it doesn't work, I'll tear it all out and just use the wall tile."

Well it came out beautifully. Took him all day and in the end it was worth the price. DW gave me a ration of s**t over that. "See, I told you." What if it hadn't worked out? We'd be out about $500. Doesn't make any difference to DW. It's a blue heron standing in water. Many individual pieces of tile to be cut by hand.

Last edited:
Well it came out beautifully. Took him all day and in the end it was worth the price. DW gave me a ration of s**t over that. "See, I told you." What if it hadn't worked out? We'd be out about $500. Doesn't make any difference to DW. It's a blue heron standing in water. Many individual pieces of tile to be cut by hand.
Sounds familiar to me. DW instinctual and emotional, me trying to be rational all the way. But then there is that underlying emotional part just waiting to get out of me. Sometimes it's a struggle to coexist -- but worth it.

JOHNNIE36 said:
I am definitely an over-analyzer. I assume it's the engineer coming out in me. I would never buy something because I THINK it will work. I have to KNOW it will work. DW and I go at it quite often because of this. She says "that's pretty. Lets get it and then figure out how to use it." Ex:
last fall we were remodeling our master bathroom. At the tile store she saw a mosaic (designed for use at the bottom of swimming pools). I posted about this in thread last September. It was on clearance for $150 and she had to have it. Told me she was going to put it on one wall of the shower. I didn't know how the tile guy would do this but she didn't care. She says "he'll figure it out". Almost got into a fight. I wanted to check it out with the tile setter first. She's afraid someone else will buy this one of a kind mosaic. She buys it anyway. Then we talk to the tile guy next day. He says, "I don't know. Never did one of those. I have to get another $250 to install that. If it doesn't work, I'll tear it all out and just use the wall tile."

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12599&d=1315227103

JOHNNIE36, it is beautiful. I'd have been reluctant to buy it, as you were. Still, as frustrating as that whole episode may have been, ultimately you ended up with a beautiful mosaic that added a lot to your bathroom, IMO.

Thanks W2R, we really like it. Problem is, she watches too much Home and Garden and all those decorating shows. The latest is this thing of having a dinette table and chairs in the living room close to the fireplace as a "conversation area". We already have three other "conversation areas". I'm asking her, "who going to be doing all this talking?" We really don't have "company". Just her friends and they are always talking in her sewing room, nowhere near the fireplace. This is just something she saw in a magazine and now she has to have it. She's driving me nuts showing me all these tables and chairs on Craigs List, various furniture store websites, decorator websites, etc. Finally today I told her that I'm tired of looking at stuff and going to stores. Just do something and stop talking about it. Problem is, the only place to put this furniture is where her desk is. Something she couldn't live without a year ago. Help!!!

Thanks W2R, we really like it. Problem is, she watches too much Home and Garden and all those decorating shows. The latest is this thing of having a dinette table and chairs in the living room close to the fireplace as a "conversation area". We already have three other "conversation areas". I'm asking her, "who going to be doing all this talking?" We really don't have "company". Just her friends and they are always talking in her sewing room, nowhere near the fireplace. This is just something she saw in a magazine and now she has to have it. She's driving me nuts showing me all these tables and chairs on Craigs List, various furniture store websites, decorator websites, etc. Finally today I told her that I'm tired of looking at stuff and going to stores. Just do something and stop talking about it. Problem is, the only place to put this furniture is where her desk is. Something she couldn't live without a year ago. Help!!!

:LOL: You're on your own on this one! The only idea I can come up with is to ask her to lay it out on paper and show you exactly where her desk will go.

It took me over a year of drawing layouts on graph paper before I bought my desk and file cabinet, and then I had to search for a desk that was 32" wide instead of 30" or 36", and that I liked. I'm glad I made the effort, because it is just right for my office, fits nicely, and doesn't interfere with the "flow".

Last edited:
Last edited:
I definitely over analyze and get to the point of paralysis and do nothing. Not a good trait to have.

Johnnie36, I really like your mosaic also. No way would I have bought it, due to all of your concerns. Consequently, I would have missed out on having something so beautiful in my bathroom.

I agree about the mosaic, it is lovely. I, too, over analyze stuff sometimes, but probably my one killjoy is thinking over-long about risk.
We have a friend who just was given a gorgeous mid-1960s era perfect condition mahogany runabout from her dad.
First day in the water yesterday. Not 5 minutes into all of us oohing and ahhing, I ask her if she's gotten insurance on it yet. And then launched into how she needs to shop for a stated-value policy and blah blah blah. Meanwhile everyone else is just enjoying the boat ride!

Sarah, intelligence is difficult to measure. Perhaps you have a "risk intelligence" and would have made an ace insurance agent. Could be a second career. ;):)

Sarah, intelligence is difficult to measure. Perhaps you have a "risk intelligence" and would have made an ace insurance agent. Could be a second career. ;):)
Aww, thanks! :flowers:
But hopefully I can keep up the CFP standards until I can quit altogether!
Oh, and here's the boat, in a classic thread hijack! :D

Attachments

• boat.JPG
    boat.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom