Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I think you are far better off using a standard turntable with the proper cartridge/stylus and a USB Audio-Digital converter for your computer. Or just use your computer's sound input if you have a phono pre-amp, and feel that your computer's A/D converter is good enough.

Here's a link to a thread I started a while back, and some of the stuff I use:

Audio in the Digital Age ART USB Phono Plus: Computers & Accessories NuForce Icon uDAC-2 Black Digital Audio Converter: Electronics

+1. For my purposes, the A/D converter is good enough on my computer. And since I LBYM, my receiver is 14 years old and has the phone input by default.

My dad has one of those Crosley thingies. The device tries to do too much in my opinion. They have different models, and my dad's model had a pretty cheap turntable. So, it does a little bit of everything just OK.

I won't dis' the device too much, because it was perfect for my parents since it would play everything "good enough" for them. Dad has since become too impaired to operate it. Heck, I had a hard time figuring it out!

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #22
Thanks for all the replies. So if I wanted to use my current turntable (about 25 years old and does not have 78 rpm setting) to transfer from 78 to my computer, I'd have to buy a 78rpm needle for my turntable and can use Audiocity to record it at either speed and it could "convert" to what it would sound like going at 78 rpm. Is that correct?
One more question, would I need to add weight to the needle to play 78s? It would seem that I'd have to add weight to make the needle stay on the track. The stylus on my turntable has a weight adjustment. If it needs more weight, I could always put a paper clip on the needle or something like that. Sound like a plan? Thanks again for all the replies.

David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #23
David. You got it! It will sound strange when you record it, but after some Audacity magic, you'll be up to 78. There's plenty of help on the subject if you search.

For my cartridge, the 78 needle says it should get 3 grams tracking. My regular LP is 1.25 grams. So, yeah, you'll want to adjust that too. Avoid paperclips if your tonearm has enough adjustment to do it the official way.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote