Join Early Retirement Today

Do you own a 78 rpm turntable?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you own a 78 rpm turntable?

Now these go way back. Do you have one? If so, when is the last time you played a record on it? My parents had about 12 such records (including one I believe by Frank Sinatra) that I've had this recent urge to listen to. I do have a friend that has a 78 rpm turntable and believe it or not he also has an 8-track player. Wouldn't it be cool to convert these to digital and have them on my iPod playlist! Sounds like a retirement "project" to me.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I still have one and about a dozen LPs. But IIRC, LPs were played at 33 rpm, while 78 rpm was for the singles. The last time I played an LP was over a year ago and it was Duran Duran.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Administrator

I had one until 1966, when it broke. Guess that would be 47 years ago.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

What were the 45's? We had an old record player on our back porch, off the kitchen, and played my mom's old records. We played one song in particular, over and over and over and over. Then we'd speed it up and play it a dozen more times. I'm surprised my mother didn't break it.

The Little Man In Chinatown by Jim Lowe on 1956 Dot 78. - YouTube

We liked the Green Door, too.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #5

I have about 50 old 78s that belonged to my parents; most are from the late 30s through the 40s. I don't have a turntable that will play them but am on the lookout for one.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #6

Most turntables would play 33 1/3 RPM (standard album) or 45 RPM (many singles) or 78 (RPM) older format. I've still got a couple around here from college days, but haven't had one connected and played anything on it for more than 20 years.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #7

I have 3 turntables that can play 78's. A Dual 1019, a Dual 1219 and a Lenco L75. 78's can sound amazingly good when played on the right equipment. A special needle is needed because the groove is wider than on a regular 33 1/3 RPM LP. A regular needle will ride the bottom of the groove and be far noisier. I have converted 78's to digital and it is a lot of fun to create a long playlist from 78's
Old 03-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #8

I don't have any 78s. Oddly enough I'm looking for a new turntable as my 30+yr old finally died last week. The direct drive motor gave out.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I don't have any 78s. Oddly enough I'm looking for a new turntable as my 30+yr old finally died last week. The direct drive motor gave out.
Many, many choices from quite a few vendors at many price levels - just an example Analog Gear at Music Direct
Old 03-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Many, many choices from quite a few vendors at many price levels - just an example Analog Gear at Music Direct
Thanks for the link.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
gone traveling

Yes we do. It's a newer multi-function model that plays 33 1/3, 45s and 78s. It also has a built in AM/FM radio, cassette and CD player. (no 8 track player ) We bought it 6 or 7 years ago and still use it "occasionally". (A few times each year.)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I bought a Stanton STR8-80 some years ago for the purpose of digitizing my old vinyl (including some 78s). It works very well and I like it a lot.
Amazon.com: Stanton STR8-80 Direct Drive Digital Turntable: Electronics
Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #13

Anyone interested in converting those old 78 records onto an IPOD can do it with a record player that hooks up onto your computer. Even if the record player does not spin at 78RPM, the accompanying AUDACITYŽ software program has an option to adjust the speed to 78RPM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #14

Right, so I inherited a bunch of 78s, and as mentioned in another thread, I've lately been getting into big band music. Years ago, I converted all of my and DWs LPs to digital (using Audacity -- see above -- open source software).

On Saturday, I received in the mail a 78 RPM needle to install on my 80's era Onkyo turntable. It does not play 78. However, I can run the 78s at 45 rpm, and then upconvert them to 78. This also requires a bit of other electronic tweaks (equalization). I'm looking forward to the project.

I'll say it again even though it was mentioned above... you need a 78 RPM needle to do this right. The LP needs are too small and will dig the groove. There are plenty of sources you can find on the internet to get just 78RPM needles. There's a pretty active aftermarket for this.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
Administrator

Yes, I have a Voice of Music changer model 1228 from about 1958. It can play at 13, 33, 45 or 78 rpm.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I own a cartridge for 78s, and I use a computer to convert from the 45 RPM of my turntable to 78.

Is that a 'yes' or a 'no'? or a 'virtual yes'?

-ERD50
Old 03-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't have a turntable for 78s anymore but I do have a functioning crank Edisonphone with about 30 of the 3/8 inch thick records. It would be fun to convert them to digital but I wouldn't know or have the means to do it.

Cheers!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #18

The Audacity software is very good and it is an opensource project ( free ) it can be used with almost any input device, runs on linux, windows, and mac, and supports many file formats including FLAC.

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder
Old 03-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm like Badger----Have a 1920's floor model hand-crank Edison Victrola with about 25 thick vinyl records. Haven't run it in about 3 years, so need to do that (also need to run the hand crank table model cylinder record player I have). Don't have anything else that plays 78's, but have thought a lot about one of those Crosby combo units that has everything, but they're a little $$, and haven't ever heard of any good reviews on them.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
... Don't have anything else that plays 78's, but have thought a lot about one of those Crosby combo units that has everything, but they're a little $$, and haven't ever heard of any good reviews on them.
I think you are far better off using a standard turntable with the proper cartridge/stylus and a USB Audio-Digital converter for your computer. Or just use your computer's sound input if you have a phono pre-amp, and feel that your computer's A/D converter is good enough.

Here's a link to a thread I started a while back, and some of the stuff I use:

Audio in the Digital Age

Amazon.com: ART USB Phono Plus: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: NuForce Icon uDAC-2 Black Digital Audio Converter: Electronics

-ERD50