Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

When you look at that chart it seems most of them would work because they don't have enough money otherwise. I have no intention of ever getting a straight job again. I do plan to do art work for my own pleasure (although if anyone wants to buy it, we can talk ) - but NEVER be at the mercy of the corporate world on any level.

Luckily I denied myself enough when I worked (LBYM) that I now can do that.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I hear ya, Dreamer, about not wanting a schedule again. I am just winding down (up?) two classes that I've been teaching. After years of teaching an online course I thought it would be fun to be in the classroom. It was fun to a certain extent, but the whole time I was longing to have my unstructured days back. I've been away from my corporate job for 3 years now, and have worked parttime in a bookstore as well as the teaching, but I really really prefer not to have a schedule except my own--when shall I take a nap? Have I eaten breakfast yet? Should I take a walk and then water the garden, or vice versa? That to me is the bliss of "total" retirement.
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
It's really all about how you want to spend some of your time.....I am 69 and love what I do (in a long career), and can roll it up anytime, but I get a charge out of being to the top of my game, so to say.

Maybe when I get older, or feel older, will I decide to visit some of my retired friends every morning at the local Burger King before they go hang out in Home Depot looking at tools they can't use anymore.

When I decide to pull the plug, I will probably be in the 11% group.
The Burger King and Home Depot thing you mentioned made me almost fall out of my chair. EXACTLY the same thing here. I choose not to join these boring people who talk about everyone not knowing about anything. Every time I go to Walmart I see several retiree's whom I know are bored to death. They make their rounds starting early at BK and end up at Wally World or Home Depot. What a life that must be. They never buy anything. I actually have seen some bring their own food into BK . They pick up everything knowing they are not going to buy it. I call them space takers. oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
The Burger King and Home Depot thing you mentioned made me almost fall out of my chair. EXACTLY the same thing here. I choose not to join these boring people who talk about everyone not knowing about anything. Every time I go to Walmart I see several retiree's whom I know are bored to death. They make their rounds starting early at BK and end up at Wally World or Home Depot. What a life that must be. They never buy anything. I actually have seen some bring their own food into BK . They pick up everything knowing they are not going to buy it. I call them space takers. oldtrig
That is truly sad. There have been a few times when I wished I had a bit more structure in my life. When that feeling comes on, I go to the beach or the mountains and the feeling soon passes. My poor dad was looking for a j*b until he went into a care home. He didn't have the old buddies to hang out with at BK, so I guess his was the saddest story of all in retirement. I made up my mind that I would not follow in those particular footsteps. And, I have not. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #25

We're sure hoping not to ever have to again...
Old 03-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Does it matter at all how one or more journalists defines retirement?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A boomer that cannot afford to be retired at FRA should be called a buster.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
IMO if you are working then you are not retired.
+1
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #29

With a real estate license I can see having a role where I don't proactively seek out new clients but keep "working" with family, friends and referrals. I would certainly be willing to give them below average commission rates (on listings) to help out too.

I also have 8 rental properties that I self manage which I plan to keep doing for some time. Some here would consider that work but it's not too taxing (1 call/mo maybe) except when I need to manage the turnover when a tenant leaves. At some point I might hire a property manager but it's pretty easy right now.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Didn't Plan to, But....
Old 03-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #30

Didn't Plan to, But....

was asked to return and mentor new teachers at my former school, 2 days/mo.; so I get paid for 20 days of work at my old full-time salary. Yet would still call myself "retired" because I don't have to do any of the work that burned me out: no getting up early M-F; no crowds of teenagers to referee (whose faces change every 50 min. when a bell rings); no lesson plans or late nights/weekends grading essays non-stop; no required meetings or school politics..........the list is endless.

Instead, I get to do a fun part of the job that delighted throughout the years. I help young folks learn how to "run a class," teach their students and colleagues how to treat them, find the joy in their subject, and like the job despite the modest paycheck.

I can make my own schedule and enjoy running into former students and colleagues. Then I get to go home for another month, until it's time to go back and "work" for another two days.

This "job" allows me to still read ANYTHING I want, with no obligations to create tests, lesson plans, or essay topics about the book I pick up for any given week.
Heck, it allows me to sit here on a Fri. AM, while the snow falls, and post here.

So, no, it doesn't feel much like work.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

We can work from home so as long as that business is viable we are going to keep doing that. I can't see myself every 100% retired. If this business ended I would probably find something else low stress with part time hours.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I don't do any w*rk now, why would I want to start in retirement?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I don't do any w*rk now, why would I want to start in retirement?
I found that once I reached FI the corporate world wasn't so bad. While I am productive, I believe I actually have a much less stressful position than many here who are "semiretired". We'll see how long the ride lasts. However, to each his own, whatever makes you happy is fine with me.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #34

I got talked into doing a consulting job last year. When it came up I said I'd only do it if I only had to work 25 hours a week and they paid me very, very well. They said OK. It also had a well defined end point (the election).

During that time I regressed into calling myself semi-retired.

This year I'm planning zero paid work - partially so I can do a big ROTH conversion.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
I found that once I reached FI the corporate world wasn't so bad. While I am productive, I believe I actually have a much less stressful position than many here who are "semiretired". We'll see how long the ride lasts. However, to each his own, whatever makes you happy is fine with me.
In case it wasn't obvious, that was humor sarcasm not meant to be taken seriously...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

It just occurred to me that about the only thing that would get me to "w*rk" again would be if a university or college wanted me to teach my old profession. As detailed elsewhere, I did this even back when I had a "straight" j*b - got paid peanuts but enjoyed it. I was passionate about it, so would probably not consider it "w*rk". So, realistically, is it "w*rk" only if you get paid for it? Or is it a "hobby" if you don't? Hmmmm... YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I have done one consulting project since ER, and today I got paid for it. The "work" was a pleasure as it was exactly the type of activity that I most enjoy and that uses my niche expertise. I would love to do similar projects a couple of times a year if opportunities arise. But the idea of interviewing for and taking on a "job" would be anathema to me. When I look back, I realize how much stress I had while working, about issues that I simply don't care about any more. I never plan to work "for the man" again.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
True, but is still is not being retired.
I retired at age 6, and I've been working ever since.

Ha
Old 03-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
It just occurred to me that about the only thing that would get me to "w*rk" again would be if a university or college wanted me to teach my old profession.
I'd jump at a chance like that again, and I wouldn't care what anyone said or called it.

Tyro
Old 03-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I 'worked' for the first four years after retirement. Most who knew laughed when I said I worked as they knew I spent my time on a golf course for a few hours a week 'marshaling' (another word for trying to herd a bunch of cats called golfers...brother!) and did so for unlimited free golf, range and pro shop discounts. Alas, it has ended. The course came under new management, wanted everyone to reapply and be interviewed and in orientation they started sounding like the classic modern day corporate gig! Chills ran up my spine and I just told them "NO!" Feels good.