Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Do You Plan to Work in Retirement (graphic)
Old 03-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do You Plan to Work in Retirement (graphic)

If you follow Ally (on Twitter), you may have seen this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (149.4 KB, 198 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm part of the 19% that does not plan to work in retirement!

The graphic doesn't surprise me at all and I would even expect the group planning to continue working would be higher.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #3

I'm surprised it's only 7% hanging in there for the health benefits. It seems like everyone I talk to about RE says "what about health benefits?"
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I was growing up, retired by definition meant you were not working. Now I'm confused.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
When I was growing up, retired by definition meant you were not working. Now I'm confused.
Let me see if I can clear up the confusion: "retired and still working" is a lot like being a "meat-eating vegetarian".

Hope that helped.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't disagree, I guess the definition has been changed by the same people that advocate 'toning down youth sports by not keeping score,' everybody wins...

And I formerly worked with a few full time employees who might as well have been retired by the old definition.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I did a couple of very brief part-time gigs (for ridiculously low pay) just for the halibut. But if I ever really "w*rk" again, it will be because the FI part of FIRE didn't work out for me. I'm praying that never happens, 'cause not only my skills are old, but so am I. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
This is America, where it is our right to change the definition of anything, particularly if it means increased sales, or readership etc.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #9

I'm surprised the majority are working for the income or benefits. I had heard that about half of the people who continue working do so because it's intellectually stimulating, keeps them involved in the community, they get a chance to do something they really enjoy (because they don't have to do it for the money), and so forth. That would be my reason. I sure plan to keep working at something, post-retirement, but it's for the intellectual stimulation/challenge, not because I need the dough. I thought there were more people in that boat. On that poll it's only about a third.

And yeah, I was confused by the stat that 43% will work full-time during "retirement." Maybe they mean "past the traditional age of retirement (65)."
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Let me see if I can clear up the confusion: "retired and still working" is a lot like being a "meat-eating vegetarian".

Hope that helped.
I don't know if it helped me, but it certainly made me laugh. Good line.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #11

I view this forum as one of the last bastions of real retirement. The definitions are changing as the masses accept their present situation. It's all about independence and doing what you desire. However, I feel most will not experience what we have found.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

For some people, I think what they may be thinking about is retiring from a particular career but then getting a job that is sort of a low stress job that could be quit at a moment's notice.

I call myself semi-retired because I do still work (10-15 hours a week), however, emotionally I feel retired because I see my work as entirely optional. The money is nice and the work itself is fine. However, I have low tolerance for any annoyance with the work and would be prepared to quit at any point that I felt it wasn't worth it.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I'm surprised it's only 7% hanging in there for the health benefits. It seems like everyone I talk to about RE says "what about health benefits?"
I think from the wording, their definition of retirement is reaching age 65, not that you no longer work. But if you reach 65 you should have medicare so I don't see why anyone would be working for "health benefits" at that point.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

IMO if you are working then you are not retired.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #15

I'm now in my third week of what I call my retirement. Admittedly it's a tad different than my original plan. I wanted to work 2 days per month for my employer to do some monthly reports, and in turn they asked me to continue two days per week, working from home. Like I said, it's only 3 weeks but so far it's been great.
Easy work, stress free, and a heckuva lot more "mad money" than I anticipated. As long as it continues to be easy and stress free I'll stay at it....and still think of myself as retired. By the way, these last 3 weeks have been a blast!
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
IMO if you are working then you are not retired.
Anyone remember the commercial from few yrs ago where one guy sells his vintage car repair/restoration business to another OLDER fellow with both claiming they were doing so (selling vs buying) to follow their dream. One man's w#rk can be another's recreation.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Anyone remember the commercial from few yrs ago where one guy sells his vintage car repair/restoration business to another OLDER fellow with both claiming they were doing so (selling vs buying) to follow their dream. One man's w#rk can be another's recreation.
True, but is still is not being retired.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Working past normal retirement age...
Old 03-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Working past normal retirement age...

It's really all about how you want to spend some of your time.....I am 69 and love what I do (in a long career), and can roll it up anytime, but I get a charge out of being to the top of my game, so to say.

Maybe when I get older, or feel older, will I decide to visit some of my retired friends every morning at the local Burger King before they go hang out in Home Depot looking at tools they can't use anymore.

When I decide to pull the plug, I will probably be in the 11% group.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My goal is to be able to *choose* to work - and would only choose "work" if it is essentially someone wanting to pay me for what I consider a hobby. Since Information Technology is not just my work but also a hobby, as I started to talk with people I'm surprised at the potential opportunities that exist.

I have 2 friends who retired and did not plan to work, but were made offers they could not resist. One was paid $125K a year to fly to Asia 3-4 times a year for 1-2 weeks at time, and brief a couple of large financial institutions on several specific technologies he was skilled in and enjoyed staying up to date. He managed to get plenty of vacation time in on those trips. Another was asked to work several technical conferences a year to support the companies exhibition booth. They agreed to pay travel and lodging for both him and his wife and paid him around $100/hr for what amounted to 3 hours a day demonstrating software. He still had plenty of time to see the sights with his wife.

Neither of these folks were executives or even managers, but just enjoyed certain skill areas and someone wanted their assistance after their retirement and was willing to pay. If I was ever offered something along those lines, I would consider it, even if the financial need was not there.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #20

I consider myself retired because I no longer work at my career job and I receive a pension. They would not be paying me my pension, if I had not retired. I did not do any work for which I was paid for 4 years, but then I chose to work a part-time, low stress job for the last 3 years. This job was not in the same field of work as my career job. I have grown tired of having a work schedule and I am training someone to replace me (actually my daughter). Tomorrow is the last day of training her and then I will only work if the office manager is out of the office or my daughter needs to be off. The office manager is on vacation next week, so I will work Mon through Thurs and Good Friday is a holiday for us. I have no idea when I will work after next week. DH and I are taking off for FL early April and we are not sure when we are coming back. It will be nice to not have a schedule again.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote