Join Early Retirement Today

Do you read the contract?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Do you read the contract?

Virtually everything we spend money on, whether goods or services, and many things that are free, involves a contract of some kind... either written or implied.

The simple question is: Do you read the contract?
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Only for major transactions where I know the contract is unique (purchase or sale of house, auto, etc.)

I did read an umbrella insurance contract that I bought about a year ago which would have had a major gap in coverage in my state so I cancelled it and bought a contract from another carrier.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Based on the typos and errors, sometimes I wonder if the contract writers read them. For example, BoA's current credit card agreement claims "Cash rewards earned are truncated at the 100th decimal place." Umm, I don't think that's what they intended.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Based on the typos and errors, sometimes I wonder if the contract writers read them. For example, BoA's current credit card agreement claims "Cash rewards earned are truncated at the 100th decimal place." Umm, I don't think that's what they intended.
Umm, I think their use of the term "100th decimal place" refers to .01, where
.1 = "tenth place"
.01 = "hundredth decimal place",
.001 = "thousandth decimal place", etc.

not "100 numbers to the right of the period".
Old 11-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #5

I read them. I've found errors often enough that I will keep reading them. Even with lawyers on both sides of the real estate closing, it's been common to find mistakes which in some cases would have cost me thousands of dollars. I check the mortgage company's calculations, too. They also make mistakes.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #6

Yes, always. I learned about that when I was doing fraud investigations.

Lots of times there was no fraud, just somebody didn't read the contract.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Virtually everything we spend money on, whether goods or services, and many things that are free, involves a contract of some kind... either written or implied.

The simple question is: Do you read the contract?
How does one read an implied contract?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #8

Sadly, the company often doesn't know their own contract. More than once I've had to explain the contract to the provider (naturally, where it obliged them to honor the contract terms). In one case, I had a service contract with my utility provider, and they initially refused to cover the cost of my blower fan. Why? Because it happened in the summer. I did not have, at the time. a service contract for my central AC. But the blower was covered, and nowhere was it excluded if used during the summer.
It took 5 months, and intercession by my Congressman, before they credited my bill.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Never.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
gone traveling

While I think its important to understand your obligations, most of these contracts that you are probably referring to are non-negotiable, so I will simply scan those types for high level comprehension.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
.1 = "tenth place"

Umm, I think that is what GrayHare was saying...they meant one thing and said another; The 100th decimal place is not what they intended.

The "100th decimal place" refers to 100th digit after the "."
1st decimal place, 2nd decimal place, ......100th decimal place...

The "100ths decimal place" refers to the second place after the "."
10ths decimal place, 100ths decimal place, 1000ths decimal place...

That is the way that I learned it...and Google tends to confirm my understanding:
https://www.google.com/search?q=deci...w=1311&bih=661

To quote REWAHOO "Words is Hard."
Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I do read contracts, but most often without a critical eye of a lawyer. I might not see the implications or ramifications behind a certain clause.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
.1 = "tenth place"

Would it be less ambiguous if they say "Cash rewards earned are truncated to the penny"?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Depends. Most of these contracts are so long and so boilerplate that I pretty much go on faith - if this company tried to screw me, it would be all over the internet.

Of course for a large and/or unique transaction, a reading may be in order.

The last thing I recall reading carefully was the "Arbitration Agreement" when purchasing a vehicle. I posted about this before - I was able to decline one, the other they insisted and I caved, the third was not so terribly bad, so I caved.

I doubt many people read or understand those agreements, I do not think people should sign away their rights so easily, esp when everything is in the car dealer's favor.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
gone traveling

Yes (but sometimes very fast) Depends on the company/institution I'm dealing with
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #15

Contracts??

ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, always. Having taken several semesters in contract & real estate law, and a spouse who was formerly a contracts paralegal, we tend to read everything (though we know many lawyers who don't). As with anything, with years of practice, one can get pretty good at blasting through the boiler plate and spotting the fine print stuff.

Tyro
Old 11-21-2012, 05:45 AM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
How does one read an implied contract?
Perhaps that should have read read and understood, but an "Implied Contract" is a legal term that does exist, and may cover many situations that could cause problems for those who do not understand the meaning.

I am reminded of a situation where a neighbor had a signed contract for some home renovations where the specifications were specifically delineated. As the work progressed, some obvious changes were required to make the renovations work. At the completion, the contractor presented a bill that was 50% higher than the contract price. My neighbor lost the court case because of the "implied contract" that he didn't understand.

Part of the explanation from Wiki.
Quote:
An implied-in-fact contract (a/k/a "implied contract") is a contract agreed by non-verbal conduct, rather than by explicit words. As defined by the United States Supreme Court,[1] it is "an agreement 'implied in fact'" as "founded upon a meeting of minds, which, although not embodied in an express contract, is inferred, as a fact, from conduct of the parties showing, in the light of the surrounding circumstances, their tacit understanding."

Although the parties may not have exchanged words of agreement, their actions may indicate that an agreement existed anyway
Implied-in-fact contract - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Perhaps that should have read read and understood, but an "Implied Contract" is a legal term that does exist, and may cover many situations that could cause problems for those who do not understand the meaning.
Got it. Still wondering how you read it. As for understanding, some of this stuff is easier to understand if you don't read it than if you do.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

No
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Got it. Still wondering how you read it. As for understanding, some of this stuff is easier to understand if you don't read it than if you do.
Also, some contracts can be verbal agreements.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote