Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #21

I couldn't resist taking a pic of this one I saw in a small Alaskan town last summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sign.jpg (753.7 KB, 53 views)
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I couldn't resist taking a pic of this one I saw in a small Alaskan town last summer.
Looks like good training for the next Paralympic Games!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Looks like someone was mocking laws requiring access for handicapped people.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #24

On the "safety page" for a 21-inch rotary lawn mower I read this:

"Do not use as a hedge trimmer."

So glad they wrote that in there! How could I have possibly known not to?

Sad to say the reason it is there is that somewhere someone was dumb enough to do that.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Looks like someone was mocking laws requiring access for handicapped people.
I don't think so. This place is so remote that there is absolutely no chance a person with a wheelchair could ever get near the town, let alone this particular spot.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I'd add that the soda that comes out of those bulk dispensers is so cheap, it is hardly worth policing. And secondly, according to an article that I read recently, the dispensers are really germy due to the refilled cups touching the dispenser nozzles. So, you might want to buy a bottled drink.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I know a guy that keeps his Sam's Club soda cup, brings it back to Sams when he shops, and refills it.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

The thing that really drives me crazy lately is every car commercial now has some stupid warning at the bottom like "Professional driver on closed course. Do not attempt." They could show Grandma driving 5 MPH in a parking lot and still show that dumb message.

I think this world would be a much better place if we eliminated all these stupid warnings and let the chips fall where they may. If somebody wants to hold the wrong end of a chainsaw, let them, but they can't sue the manufacturer because of their own stupidity.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
On the "safety page" for a 21-inch rotary lawn mower I read this:

"Do not use as a hedge trimmer."

So glad they wrote that in there! How could I have possibly known not to?

Sad to say the reason it is there is that somewhere someone was dumb enough to do that.
Years ago a guy from purchasing or central supply showed up with serious bandages wrapped on every one of his fingers. He had tried just that.
spncity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

With a lot of coffee drinkers having their own cup.... it is a lot easier to fill it up....

Back when I used to buy soda at a local gas station, they did sell an insulated cup.... but, you were supposed to pay for filling it up every day... the fill up was cheaper than getting a new paper cup...

BUT, there is always some place that might not care... my nephew used to carry his big popcorn bucket to the theater and they would fill it up for free... even said they would do it... very few people took it with them so it was not a big deal to them.... got my sister and her family to watch more movies than they normally would...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Seriously?

I saw this in person today. I realize it wouldn't be posted if they hadn't had issues, but it's awfully sad commentary on people. I remember when there were no free refills at all anywhere...and now evidently some people feel entitled to abuse the privilege?
Unfortunatey, that's what happens when you get millions of people addicted to sugar.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #32

I saw a wonderful sign when visiting Hains Alaska, in the local park there is a path to the water frequented by bears, down by the water people regularly go to watch the bears and sometimes people fish in the area. There is a sign posted: If A Bear Wants Your Fish, Give It To Him
Old 03-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I don't think so. This place is so remote that there is absolutely no chance a person with a wheelchair could ever get near the town, let alone this particular spot.
Then, it's a joke.

I see a hand truck at the bottom of the ramp, so perhaps that's what the ramp is for. It would be impossible to push/pull a hand truck while walking either on the steep ramp or the adjacent staircase. So, I would pull a hand truck up with a rope.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I know a guy that keeps his Sam's Club soda cup, brings it back to Sams when he shops, and refills it.
No doubt that he will RE if not done so already .
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:38 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'd add that the soda that comes out of those bulk dispensers is so cheap, it is hardly worth policing.
While not necessarily inaccurate, this comment reflects misconception on two levels.

First: When you buy a soda at the fast food restaurant or cafeteria, you're paying for the value of having that drink. Value is all about perception. There are myriad case studies where sellers withdrew an inexpensive offering from the market, did a little redressing, and the reintroduced effectively the same product at a substantially higher price-point, turning a poor performing into a profit superstar. Think about the impact on perception - the impact on value - from a customer thinking that the product they just purchased could have simply been taken, or worse a customer witnessing that thing they just paid for being simply taken by someone else.

Second: The cost of a drink at a fast food restaurant or cafeteria necessarily includes the cost of the water, the cost of the syrup, the cost of the cup, the cost of the lid, and the cost of the straw, but also includes part of the cost of the machine, the cost of the staff to maintain the equipment and keep the filling station clean and operable, but most importantly, the cost of customer acquisition. A "thief" isn't a customer, I know, but a casual attitude toward theft may adversely impact the value perceived by actual customers, and may even raise the cost of customer acquisition, if the theft adversely impacts the customers' experience. And remember, something may seem small to you, but multiply it by thousands or tens of thousands - or millions - and small becomes significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
And secondly, according to an article that I read recently, the dispensers are really germy due to the refilled cups touching the dispenser nozzles. So, you might want to buy a bottled drink.
Good point and good advice!
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:19 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

On frozen pizza - "cook before eating".
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

LOL. Gotta admit that on my recent trip to FL I stopped at McD's to use their restroom and, as I passed by the soda dispenser, speculated whether those free refills would apply to a spare cup you kept with you in the car. I guess I am disabused of that notion now.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
That one makes at least some sense: Many people enjoy cold pizza and so someone afflicted by some frugal living ethos may figure that instead of microwaving or baking the pizza as indicated, and then letting it cool off, they'd simply leave it out or leave it in the fridge, even though the safety of the product was only demonstrated when prepared as directed, i.e., cooked through at least once.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
I recall a thread awhile back discussing if it is OK to fill up your cup as you leave the restaurant.
This one ? http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ink-66672.html Yes, it does relate to the OP.

A song comes to mind. The video images of signs are also pretty funny.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
They might need another warning on it: "Remove pizza from box before cooking." One night a few years ago, a neighbor down the hall in my co-op apartment building somehow forgot to take the frozen pizza out of the cardboard box before he put it into the oven. The cardboard caught fire, of course, and he called the fire department which caused a big commotion in my building, especially on my floor. There was no damage to any of the adjacent apartments although I do not know if there was any damage inside the absent-minded neighbor's apartment.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote