Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I still have trouble with tying shoe lacing. The spouse said it was because I do it backwards. I don't understand. They won't stay tied.
Are you a left hander living in a right handed world like me? I remember having trouble with the shoelace thing also.
I had to use scissors upside down and write with my hand crooked way around and above the paper to avoid smearing the ink from the cartridge refill fountain pens we had to use.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I only remember the best and the worst, and the most dramatic. One of my teachers was a Shakespearean actress in her spare time. It was so weird to watch her on stage as Desdemona in Othello and to have her teaching English verbs the next day. That was the kind of thing we did in primary school......

Old 05-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #23

I have Martha's experience without the Midwestern names. Also a leftie, of course. And I checked out (mentally) of school very, very early. Hated every single minute of it. Maybe one decent teacher, in 4th grade. I also have the distinction of going to 9 schools in 12 years: never got kicked out, and only moved once. Just roamed around from public to private to public and back, never really found my niche.

Gee, FD, thanks for reminding me how maladjusted I am. Ugh!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Remember SRA?
A colorful box with stiff card stock reading materials that you completed by yourself? Gradually increasing difficulty? I loved that program as a kid. I thought the materials that were included were really interesting and well written, I looked forward to every one. I hope today's kids have something similar.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I don't remember any teachers name before Jr. High and not many of those or High School teachers.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

You mean Mrs. Robinson, my first grade teacher?
Old 05-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
...thanks for reminding me how maladjusted I am.
Now, where have I heard THAT before?
Old 05-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
A colorful box with stiff card stock reading materials that you completed by yourself? Gradually increasing difficulty? I loved that program as a kid. I thought the materials that were included were really interesting and well written, I looked forward to every one. I hope today's kids have something similar.
Yes! I loved it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Are you a left hander living in a right handed world like me? I remember having trouble with the shoelace thing also.
I had to use scissors upside down and write with my hand crooked way around and above the paper to avoid smearing the ink from the cartridge refill fountain pens we had to use.
I'm right handed but sometimes I think that I am "no" handed. I just am not very coordinated. Handwriting was my killer in grade school.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

1. Mrs. Todd
  2. Mrs. Hill
  3. Mrs. Shelton
  4. Mrs. Johnson
  5. Mrs. Moore
  6. Mrs. Herald
Skipped kindergarten...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #31
Administrator

K: Mrs. Lane
1: Mrs. Durning
2: Mrs. Morrisey
3: Mrs. Tuttle
4: Mrs. Tuttle (AGAIN - - she wanted to teach 4th grade. I called her "Mrs. Turtle".)
5: Mrs. Himmler
6: Mrs. Marshall
7: different teachers for each class in 7th grade on, and I remember all of them.

It helps that I am 60 years old. The more years, the closer to one's second childhood.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I remember all my teachers.

Kindergarten: What's that?
Grades 1 and 2: Mrs. Taillon
Grades 3,4 and 5: Mrs. Black
Grades 6,7 and 8: Mr. Black (husband of above)

I also remember the names of all 11 kids in grade 1 with me and all 8 who finished grade 8 with me. It's easy since I started in a one room school and moved to a 2 room school in grade 3. Grades 5 and 8 were incredibly boring as this was my 3rd year listening to the same teacher repeat the same stuff.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #33

Went to Catholic school. Nuns taught all through elementary school. Not much fun! High school was great. One year I, and all my buddies, took typing because the teacher had a real "rack". Somehow the guys always got the keys jammed up and she had to come over, bend over the typewriter and undo everything. Don't know how anyone passed that class. Priest came in every day for a little religion class in the morning. We had an old saying that we had religion every day and twice on Tuesdays and that was because we had a nun teaching Algebra on Tuesday. Hell, I can't remember anybodys names!! I can't remember what I had for dinner.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I only remember a few
K- Miss Morgan - she was our neighbor
1&2 - Sister Damien
th
grade - Sr. Miriam Delora - she could scare anybody into learning Latin . She would seat us according to our grade and then as luck would have it she also taught Chemistry . I used to carry a one and two hole stopper in my pocket for lab so I'd have the right one .I saw her years later when my sister ( who is a nun ) made her vows just seeing Sr. Miriam gave me the shakes .
Old 05-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

That reminds me of Sister Conleth (Connie) who taught fifth grade. She was a wonderful teacher but had very high expectations and her fame had spread all the way to the first grade, so I had four years to worry. Luckily I was a good student and escaped most of her wrath.

Many years later she came to my father's funeral and we had a good laugh about it. She didn't terrify me any more!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #36

K: Mrs. Hill

1st: Mrs. Johnson

2nd: Mrs. Dawson

3rd: Mrs. Hausauer

4th: Mrs. Dumas

5th: Mrs. Conry and Mr. Yurdana

6th: Mrs. Moorhead

QED.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
The only teacher I remember pre-highschool was my 5th grade teacher Mrs. Doverspike. I'm only 29 so I don't have to think back as many years as most of you yet I still only remember one name before 9th grade. I guess that's why I failed most of my tests, no memory.
Don't worry, as you are with me. In fact, I don't remember a single teacher name. I don't know how these other people can. I can still vaguely remember some experiences or classroom scenes from those elemetary school years, but that's all. I don't do much better with high school years.

The windmills of my mind have been worn down to a nub. They are spinning with tattered sails... I feel like posting another gloomy song in French, but I shall resist.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:31 AM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
6th: Mrs. Moorhead
Was her husband's name Craven?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:58 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
...One year I, and all my buddies, took typing because the teacher had a real "rack". Somehow the guys always got the keys jammed up and she had to come over, bend over the typewriter and undo everything. Don't know how anyone passed that class...
Your story of high school boys enamored with a lady teacher reminded me of my days as a subsititute teacher. I used to substitute on an occasion call-in basis when I first graduated from college. I was called in to do 6 weeks of full time for 9th grade Algebra and General Math to replace a teacher out for surgery. I dressed in a way that I thought was conservative to try to look older than my age of 21. Yeah right.
I entered the HS and was looking for the homeroom class I was assigned to. This macho senior boy walked right up to me and introduced himself and asked me if I was going to the dance Sat. He was obviously looking to "claim the new girl" for a date.
You should have seen his face when I told him I was a sub teacher.
I told him we could make a deal - this conversation never happened as far as I was concerned if he would show me where the classroom was. Turns out he was in my homeroom. This kid introduced me and said they better be cool and listen to me. He was my best ally and did everything he could to help out.
What a character he was. A natural leader who is probably a company president now.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #40

More than anything I remember Miss Crystal who was an old maid schoolteacher and always ultra-strict and dour. Went totally batsh*t crazy and ended up in a mental hospital. Serves her right for teaching math to Jr. highers. While in school, tho, she was hall monitor and everyone was terrified of her.
Teachers always "liked" me, but I was Miss Hill's pet in 2nd and 3rd grade; and the English teacher's favorite in my Sr. year of high school, but why I still don't know.
Warm memories...compared to the phys. ed. teacher thru Jr. high who wasn't so keen on me and accused me of things I never did...the old cow was just plain mean to some of us (verified by my 8th grade best girlfriend on a recent trip here who she also was mean to for no reason). You win some, you lose some.