Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Do you shop at the .99 store?
Old 01-27-2016, 04:53 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you shop at the .99 store?

I did not see any recent threads on this and had a few insights to share. I was recently there in the .99 store and picked up some laundry detergent, 64 oz for you guessed it .99. You can't beat that. I picked up some moisturizer, a big container, some energy efficient light bulbs . I also plan on picking up my trash bags there also. I don't mind saying at other stores these items are a rip off. They just are. I also got some writing pens also. I am tired of buying all these items at terribly inflated prices. Now to be sure not every item there is a bargain. But if you look hard enough you can find great deals and save money. That to me is why I shop there because I needed to shop smarter and get things I really needed at prices that made sense. Does anyone else shop there if one is nearby in your area and what do you buy there?

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 04:55 AM   #2

I do not but my wife does. God, I love that woman.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:59 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW shops at 5 Below.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:25 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I've gone there for party favors and stocking stuffers. It's fun to see what little novelties have just arrived from China.

We buy 90% of our groceries, toiletries, and household goods at the big-box store, and I've calculated that the economies of scale are in our favor, versus buying at the dollar store (which is also out of our way).

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:55 AM   #5

I visit one for certain items I have found to be a good buy. But you have to compare the product size and price. Many times the dollar store item is a smaller package and others walmart still beats on price. I have DollarTree, DollarGeneral, and Freds.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:13 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ever since we got our last pay raise, we stopped shopping at the 99 cent store and have started going to the dollar store.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:26 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I like Dollar Tree. Many items are sold elsewhere for $3. Some stuff is junk,for example pens don't seem to last and pencils have graphite that is segmented and falls out when sharpened. I find lots of items that work in an RV as they are a little smaller and light.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:31 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I shop at $1 store sometimes if I happen to be close to one and only need a few items. But I don't go out of my way to do so.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:39 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We definitely shop at Dollar Tree, there inventory has grown over the years and we find many useful things there.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:44 AM   #10

Dollar Tree is my go-to store for stuff.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
Dollar Tree is my go-to store for stuff.
I have one not too far from me. Is it better than the .99 store? If it is and it certainly might be, how is it better? I am always looking for better deals to make my dollar go further.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:58 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I shop at $1 store sometimes if I happen to be close to one and only need a few items. But I don't go out of my way to do so.
This pretty much describes my shopping tendencies at the local Dollar Store. I find it a good store to go to when I need some oddball items, mainly nonfood things. I won't go out of my way to shop there unless it is something I need right away.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:12 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

No, however the DW shops at Dollar Tree for birthday cards. She tells me they have some unique cards and a better selection.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:13 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't shop at the .99 store. I'm living large and go to Dollar Tree😜.

Actually there is a Dollar Tree near by so I do go there occasionally for small items. I really like to get gift bags there.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:18 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We do shop at the dollar store, but with care. Some items the quality is suspect... DW bought some dishwashing detergent and it doesn't suds well at all so we won't do that again. Also, some items can be had for cheaper than $1 elsewhere.

One of our best finds is an all-purpose spray cleaner called "Awesome". It works really well, and will in-fact take paint off if you leave it on a surface too long but we dilute it for some purposes.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:41 AM   #16

Occasionally. Like others have said, you have to be careful about quality and "spoof" products. The cleaning products are all obscure brands designed to look like nationally recognized brands. (Crorax instead of Clorax or something similar.) Their produce is often an awesome deal.

When my son's were younger I'd buy their matchbox size/style cars there. They also had an apple "newt" type cookie that we were fond of.

I agree it's at great spot for stocking stuffers, kid party goody bags, etc.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:04 AM   #17

I call all of the Dollar Stores. We have a couple of them nearby. I usually buy all of my greeting cards at them. If my grand kids are here, I will buy them helium balloons.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:06 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

DW shops there
Old 01-27-2016, 08:15 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nope, not me. I never seem to find very good bargains there and often I am tempted to buy things I might not otherwise buy at all.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I have one not too far from me. Is it better than the .99 store? If it is and it certainly might be, how is it better? I am always looking for better deals to make my dollar go further.
I go to all of them from time to time, but would not actually call it shopping. Also go to Big Lots and I was surprised to find my favorite Kashi box cereal which is very pricey in the regular store. I think the expiration date was 6 months instead of 3 yrs or something.

The thing about all these places is it totally depends on how well managed the particular location is. Some of them are just junk stores and some are not much different than a regular store. If you travel off the beaten path in many rural areas of VA and WV, you see as many Dollar General stores as McDonald's.