Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the shoveling but today the temp is -20 below but the winds are driving the windchill down to -45 below. I have concluded that -35 below zero is my cutoff limit for working outside removing snow! Right now, zero degree F would feel like a heat wave! Ha!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a snow blower when I lived in NY, now I do not even have/need a raincoat!

Old 12-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1 to 2 in light fluffy snow = shovel

Heavy wet snow up to 5 in = ATV w/plow

Over 6 in = snow blower
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7945.JPG (702.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Snowblower. Just got a new one last year after getting 14 years out of the previous one. The payback period, vs paying the plow guy, will be about two years given typical Chicago winters.

I have a large, single stage Toro. They're amazingly simple and reliable. If DW helps by shoveling/sweeping the porch, I can get the driveway and walks done in well under an hour if it's not too deep.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I forgot this in my last post:
What'dya do with this beast the rest of the year? Surely this is not used just for snow!

I have very little area to clear, so I usually just shovel, but I bought a used 24in Toro single stage blower for $200. Our old house had 120ft driveway and a large turnaround...for that I only had a 20" Toro S200 model I bought used for $70. That machine did not throw the snow very far. Sold it ten yrs later for $120 after I bought the new used machine. Also have one of those electric Toro power brooms to clear the deck and DW can use if I am out of town.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #66

None of the above. Winter in LA just means a little less sunscreen...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winter in LA.jpg (8.2 KB, 139 views)
Old 12-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm a shoveler. The less racket from internal combustion, the better. Which reminds me... I meant to start another thread.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Will shovel up to 6" or so if light and fluffy, but if real wet and heavy will break out the snow thrower. I like the shoveling exercise. Have to take more breaks due to neck and shoulder injuries though.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #69

Do you shovel, plow, pay for plowing or use a snow blower when it snows?

I broke down and paid a service to plow me out today. Not so much for snow depth (we probably only got 5 or 6 inches), but because it's so frickin cold out there, no way I was standing out there, even with a thrower let alone a shovel.

First time I ever did that. It felt luxurious, like I was Hefner or something

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #70

Our new thrower goat workout over the last two weeks. It got a little tiresome..................
Old 01-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

None of the above. That's what monthly condo maintenance fees are for
Old 01-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

DH loves to shovel snow, every three inches sends him out there to keep up with it, til he could sweep what is left. Cold does not bother him. Sometimes we do it together. In the subzero Sunday storm, he did flag down a tow truck and had them do our driveway (hard to shovel at the end if the driveway where the city plows leave a deep ridge of salted heavy snow). He just turned 65, though, so we might get a regular service so I don't worry about him keeling over.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #73

My Grandad left behind a 1971 Ariens; 36 inch wide, 8HP (?) four forward, one reverse, elec start, walking cab, chains on the tires (all considered high-end 40 years ago). It's an animal! Goes through anything which is good because a Nor'easter will lay down six foot drifts in front of my garage.

I have a deal with the plow guy: if the driveway is not done...do it. Otherwise, I've been out there with my 40 year old snowblower kicking butt!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:32 AM   #74

Didn't get to play with this toy much last winter. But its been fun so far this year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Bear.jpg (662.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #75
gone traveling

My first snowthrower was a Jacobsen (White) purchased in the early 70's. I sold it around 1995 when I replaced it with a John Deere - not because the Jacobsen didn't work, I just wanted to change colors ...

Both units were/are 8HP and move through the snow like a hot knife through butter. Both had/have (plug in) electric start so no problem at all on start up. The only thing you have to remember is to turn off the fuel to stop it. That's to drain the carb/line to make sure it dosen't gum up during off season (who knows if the current snowstorm is the last of the season ).

The only maintenance I've ever done (other than oil changes) is to replace the side skids (once) on the Jacobsen. It is a wear item so after many years of use it is expected. Skids were never replaced on the JD.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #76

I had been a life-long shoveler, but in December, 2012, i finally broke down and bought myself a snowblower. We got it home about 24 hours before a major storm dumped over a foot of snow on us. The only incident so far is one time when I missed the morning paper in a drift and the snowblower ate it. That resulted in a bad jam that took me several tedious hours to clear.

Incidentally, skimming through the other posts, it appears that "snowthrower" is a more common term than "snowblower". I had never heard it before, though. Snowblower must be a regionalism in this part of the country.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #77
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
He just turned 65, though, so we might get a regular service so I don't worry about him keeling over.
That's what life insurance is for ...

BTW, I'm 66 .
Old 01-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
That's what life insurance is for ...

BTW, I'm 66 .

I will send him over to try out the Deere . He probably wouldn't overexert himself on that vs the act of shoveling. But he is a little bit of a klutz re large machinery so at some point he might need stitches (a lawn mower-induced emergency room visit was fun when he spun a piece of a roofing nail into his calf).
Old 01-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I still shovel. I have a long driveway, but I figure the exercise is good for me. Now that I'm retired, I have time to work on it at my own pace, which helps. I try to never let it accumulate more than about 4-5" before shoveling, which makes it manageable. If it snows more than that, I just go back and do it again later. Not a real big deal. I've considered buying a snowblower in the past, but I really don't need another motorized device that requires maintenance and frequent repair. Most of my friends that have gas snowblowers always have them in the shop for maintenance and/or repair, or at least it seems that way. I might change my mind when I get older and just can't do the job with a shovel anymore.
+1.....If it was good enough for my father and my grandfather, it is good enough for me. Everyone also has a riding lawn mower around here but I prefer a regular lawn mower.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
These comments always remind me of John Lindsay, a one-term mayor of NYC while I still lived there.

The reason he only got one term in office was partly due to his remarkably inept handling of a blizzard in 1969.

His famous approach to snow removal was "God put it there, and God will eventually take it away."
That also happened in Chicago back in the 70's. Then Mayor Bilandic lost out to Jane Byrne because of his administrations handling of the snow.