Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My Grandad left behind a 1971 Ariens; 36 inch wide, 8HP (?) four forward, one reverse, elec start, walking cab, chains on the tires (all considered high-end 40 years ago). It's an animal! Goes through anything which is good because a Nor'easter will lay down six foot drifts in front of my garage.

I have a deal with the plow guy: if the driveway is not done...do it. Otherwise, I've been out there with my 40 year old snowblower kicking butt!
My uncle left me a Ransomes Bob-Cat (note hyphen) snow thrower from about a decade later. It's a little undersized for my needs but tough as nails. I just overhauled the impeller drive (new bearings, chain and sprocket). It'll probably see me out, just like Uncle Ernie.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
My first snowthrower was a Jacobsen (White) purchased in the early 70's. I sold it around 1995 when I replaced it with a John Deere - not because the Jacobsen didn't work, I just wanted to change colors ...

Both units were/are 8HP and move through the snow like a hot knife through butter. Both had/have (plug in) electric start so no problem at all on start up. The only thing you have to remember is to turn off the fuel to stop it. That's to drain the carb/line to make sure it dosen't gum up during off season (who knows if the current snowstorm is the last of the season ).
My current unit is a high end Husgvarna 27" with electric start/heated grips and such. I like it. What I liked better was the 46 inch thrower on the front of my craftsman tractor. That thing threw snow forever but was a super pain to mount and unmount seasonally.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #83
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
What I liked better was the 46 inch thrower on the front of my craftsman tractor. That thing threw snow forever but was a super pain to mount and unmount seasonally.
I would think that you also would need rear wheel weights/chains for heavy snow conditions.

I have enough problems with removing the deck on my Craftsman/Husqvarna lawn tractor; that's why I purchased a MoJack to do regular blade/deck maintenance. I would hate to remove it every season "just in case" it snows. Heck, we've had many years (and a few in a row) where my snowthrower never left the garage ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had chains on the back tires and a plate that you mount to set a container full of salt on (for wieght mostly)
Old 01-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #85
Dryer sheet aficionado

Our driveway is 1/2 mile, so we use a 7 foot snow blower on tractor. Might sound like a lot of work but sometimes easier than those that live in town.
Cedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
His famous approach to snow removal was "God put it there, and God will eventually take it away."
Sounds like DC's then-mayor Marion Barry who when asked what his snow-removal plan was purportedly replied "Spring".