Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-07-2016, 11:08 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
I have a desktop and just had my son build me a replacement, cause my current one started to sound funny. I think it is on its last leg. I will always have a desktop, I use it about once a day mainly for when I have typing to do (like this post) it is much easier with a regular, full size keyboard. But when I am out and about or even in the other room infront of the tv I will use my phone or ipad (mini), more convenient to do quick look ups or play a game, etc.

I don't want to spend my entire life at work. I deserve more. - Want2retire aka W2R
Ronnieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #22
I still have and use a desktop computer. When it goes I'll probably replace it with a compute server and move the storage to a local Storage Area Network (SAN), and drive from a tablet with keypad.

Yes, my usage patterns very likely are atypical.

M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:23 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
As an old-school PC gamer, I'll continue to keep a custom gaming rig and dual-monitor setup even though more & more is being done on my tablet & phone.
The kids used to call me Captain Slow; now they also use Captain Cheap. I tell them, "Talk to the portfolio!"
growerVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:10 AM   #24
I still use a desktop. I prefer to work on spreadsheets and word documents with a full keyboard. My wife used a laptop, but it had a major crash and had to be reformatted. It now works but it's more of a brick. We lost a version of Office that Microsoft took down so we can't get a new copy loaded (still had the key). I'm not about to purchase a later version for a laptop that may still be flaky (have't really used it since Excel and Word were the main use). We'll likely get a new desktop if the old one goes. I can't see myself working on spreadsheets and big Word documents on an iPad without a full size keyboard and mouse.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:32 AM   #25
Haven't used a desktop in 10+ years. It tied me to a distant room in the house. Have only used a laptop since then, mostly on my lap in the family room, sometimes on the kitchen table.
"The mountains are calling, and I must go." John Muir
DrRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:53 AM   #26
I have more than one. I need the separate keyboard and the 24 inch screen. The last two laptops had their keyboards destroyed by the pets, aided by coffee. Desktop keyboards are more durable and replacements are $15 at the closest Staples. Laptops were always slow and prone to breaking down. Small screens, uncomfortable typing positions.

Desktops are cheap workhorses. I have two cheap Lenovos with i-3's and an older Dell, which has Windows 7. The Dell product is so-so, the cheap Lenovos are bulletproof. One of the Lenovos is on whenever someone is up.

I bought a $35 Fire tablet on the last Black Friday sale, used it a few times on the road. Use the phone instead? Maybe in an emergency. Try reading a map on the phone.

Of course, I also have my grandmother's cast iron dutch oven and frying pans....
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:22 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Haven't owned one for 10 years or so. No more desktops for me.
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:30 AM   #28
No desktop. We use laptops and attach full size keyboards and monitors.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:41 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...
I much prefer a desktop to a laptop. I keep mine on a desk in the kitchen where I spend a lot of time. While I have had Linux servers for many years I always preferred Windows for my primary desktop. When this one goes I will probably replace it with a larger screen all-in-one and ditch the tower that sits next to the desk. I also have a laptop that I rarely use and an iPad that I use a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg desktop.jpg (221.3 KB, 6 views)
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:44 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
.... I suspect that laptops will be nearly extinct in just a few years as well. However, I love mine and don't intend to give up using a laptop any time soon.
+1 I like it especially for typing, like posting here. I also have a Kindle Fire tablet that I use for reading, occasional surfing, videos and when traveling. I have a Bluetooth keyboard for the Kindle and it is ok for occasional use but the tactile feel of the keyboard is not anywhere near as good.
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:51 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've had a 21" iMac for the last 3 years. While my work computers were always laptops, I prefer desktops for home use, as I really haven't seen the need to wonder the house on a laptop or tablet and prefer viewing at my desk and comfy office type chair.
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #32
I have an ASUS low end gaming tower, with two large monitors (one vertical), it has an HDMI port also. with Windows 10. It is great for spreadsheets and reading articles. DW has an old laptop running LXLE, so that will probably run forever.
"The natural inclination of every boat everywhere is to sink".......Nicole Pasulka
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:21 AM   #33
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
If so, do you plan to buy another one when that one goes kaput ?
If not, do you ever plan to purchase one ?
I have a 'mid-2010 27" iMac' that I still use a lot (right now in fact). It was high end when I purchased it (i7, 12GB RAM, SSD, big screen) but I'm thinking about buying a new one later this year.

Why? I'd really like to upgrade to the retina display and and move up to faster ports (Type-C USB 3.1 w/ thunderbolt 3).

It's still running well, but I don't want to wait until it's dead to replace. So I'm anticipating the next release of the iMac later this year and for that to last me another 6+ years.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:26 AM   #34
Just had new/refurbished Dell desktop delivered yesterday (32 gigs of RAM boggles my mind). Until we retire, we will continue to have the side by side desktops as our primary computers. Price point for performance still excellent, helps keep us from devoting too much time to the internets at the expense of each other, and we don't presently have much desire to have a real computer with us on vacations. (DW's Kindle Fire is, IMO, merely a media consumption device....)

Next year, though, we'll be starting to travel in earnest, which will necessitate some serious shopping to get best combination of weight/cost/video_editing.
OMY * 3 2ish
2017ish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:37 AM   #35
We have 2 corner computer desks,each with a desktop. My wife just upgraded her 12 year old Dell because she could not stream any movies.
We both have 21 inch monitors, and I love it for data entry where I can put both sheets on the screen at one time.
I have an AB switch for hers so she can watch movies on our flat screen TV.The final touch was a wireless mouse so she can control it from our loveseat.
We both have tablets that are linked to our wireless router. I love the fact I can sit on our porch and read my e-mails.
Retired Jan 2009 Have not looked back.
AA 95%/0/5
WR 2% SI 2SS & 2 Pensions
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:40 AM   #36
I have a mac-mini which is our media computer.
Everything else is either a laptop or tablets.
Zathras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #37
I've destoryed owned several laptops and currently have a Chromebook, but as a gamer and 3D artist I'm drooling over the chance to build my own rig when I finally find a place to settle down. I haven't had a desktop in over a decade, but I could have bought several high-end rigs for the amount of laptops I've suffered through over that period.
I'm free and I like it!
RetiredGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...
We have a couple refurb Dell corporate CPUs running Windows 7. Think they were $2-300 each on sale. She pretty much uses hers only to do a newsletter and around tax time, then uses her iPhone 5s for more things than imaginable. I camp out at my desk, kicked back with a wireless keyboard, Quicken 2006, and a flint and steel to strike sparks for the whale oil lamp when it gets dark.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets
We own five desktop computers. I built four of them, and one is a refurbished Lenovo that I bought for $89.

My wife uses a dual core Intel box running Windows 7. She likes her 24 inch monitor. I built that one about four years ago, and it still runs fine.

I have three desktop computers connected to a KVM switch. Two of mine are AMD processors, one three-core and one dual core. Those boxes run Windows 7. I use one for all my personal stuff and one to connect to the plant where I work when I need to check the control systems.

The third box on the KVM switch is one I put together from a pile of obsolete spare parts. I had an Intel 865 GLC (the original Pentium) motherboard from somewhere, and a drive, and some old GT210 video card and my spare parts power supply. I loaded Linux (Zorin, I think) just for play. I might play more after I retire but right now I don't use that one much.

I like cases that can accommodate hot swap drives.

The old Lenovo box is in the bedroom, connected to a 42 inch TV and is used for Netflix and the like.

I have a 27 inch monitor, but it's 1920 by 1080 and I'd really like a higher resolution 31 inch curved screen. I'd need to upgrade my video cards for that.

We also have a laptop that is not used much. We use are iPads all the time, but we don't like to type on them.

I imagine I will always have a desktop computer. In fact, I'm in the mood to upgrade one of mine to be only one year obsolete instead of 5 or six years.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:03 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets
Desktop in my ManCave. I like the large screen and the view out my sliding door. I have an iPad for mobility, even when sitting on the couch watching or playing - and when I travel, of course.

Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote