Join Early Retirement Today

Do You Still Have A 'Desktop' PC/Mac @ Home ?
Old 04-07-2016, 08:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do You Still Have A 'Desktop' PC/Mac @ Home ?

If so, do you plan to buy another one when that one goes kaput ?
If not, do you ever plan to purchase one ?

I'll be honest, I'm trying to get my arms around the home desktop market.
I own Intel stock, & the slowdown in this segment has held it back for the last 4 or 5 years.

My personal opinion is that the home desktop market will never reach the old levels of success. Many people, & the vast majority of younger people, are using their phones and/or tablets it seems.

I'll always want/prefer a desktop at home.
I have a 20 inch iMac that I bought new in May 2008.
Can't remember the name of the original operating system, upgraded to snow leopard, then mountain lion, & last week to OS X El Capitan.

Definitely slower on start up, but other than that it works great.

The only other upgrade was the memory. Upped it from 2 to 6 GB.
ownyourfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yup, a PC with a 27" monitor. Me thinks I need a 31", I like a big picture.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #3

Yes, I still have my Linux desktop, running on an ancient Pentium processor. It works just fine, why would I want to change it?
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:21 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

We probably have not had a desktop for 10 years or perhaps more. For what we use our PCs for laptops are much more useful. I got used to traveling with a laptop when I was workign and will never go back to a desktop.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I both have desktop computers and I still have one for w*rk for a couple more months. I really don't care for laptops and don't think I want to use a tablet for everything. When I use my iPad I keep wishing that it had a mouse for some things.
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #6

nope several laptops but no desktops
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yes and if my desktop (Win 10) goes kaput, I'll definitely get another...but I buy used, not new.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Husband and I rely on laptops/phones, but I prefer a desktop for a few tasks, i.e. taxes.

Our current desktop (I am the only one who ever touches it) is an emachine. Remember those? There was a time I would not have considered one, but got one for $200 from a local computer dealer/repair place. With the few things I use it for, $200, spread over 4-5 years, is a bargain. It is on its fourth year now and working great. Of course, not much is required of it.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I ditched the laptop and desktop about same time I ditched my landline 5 years ago... My iPad and Chromebook are all I need. Next purchase will be that big ipad pro... Will waste all of the unique uses and will be buying it only for the big screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I have an iMac and MacBook. But I could see surviving on only a MacBook if I had a big monitor.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yep. Been sitting on the desk 10 years without using. Since we're moving, I'm disassembling it tomorrow.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:54 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Had only laptops for over 10 years, then Apple came out with a wowzer hi-res "retina 5K" 27 inch display with a built-in iMac, and we had to get it for our photo and video editing. DH is on it all the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150205_Hi_Res_Display.jpg (231.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I use a laptop as my desktop.

The 17" screen is fine for me, but really only because the release of Linux that I use (Xubuntu) provides super easy to use and effective 'virtual desktops'. I generally keep 6 desktops open, each with their own grouping of stuff on them, and switch between them as I work. So an individual screen is not so cluttered.

But if I did want/need a bigger monitor, I can use an external one, and have the added area of the laptop as well.

And on rare occasions, I do just sleep the laptop, and take it with me, and all my apps and windows are open just like I left them, and I can get right to work away from home.

And, when I do upgrade, an older laptop is a very convenient second computer to have on hand. I use them as dedicated music players, and I had one tied up for weeks doing some video conversions and editing. Set it up on a table and let it do its thing w/o tying up your main daily computer.

It's just so much easier to do that with a small laptop, than to move and set up a desktop and monitor. Plus, you get built in UPS with the battery.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:59 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, two desktops custom built by me, one 6 years old running a quad core processor, 4 GB RAM and Win 10. DW's is running Win 7. Both have nice 23" monitors. I keep them clean and fast.

I have a Chromebook for portable use, DW has and IPad.

Three laptops are paperweights in the closet.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I have a desktop and will probably have one as long as they make them.... I do not take my computer with me anywhere, so why get a laptop that does not do as much.... I do have a small tablet, but only play games and do some web surfing....

DW has an Ipad and a laptop... but laptop just sits on her desk... she uses her phone at times and when we are not at home...

DS has a desktop... he is doing CAD and needed the speed and extra memory and large monitor... uses his phone for everything else...

DD has a laptop, but probably does not use it much... DW insisted we get it for some reason... waste of money IMO.... she also has a small tablet that she uses to text etc.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #16

Yep, Grandpa loves his Grandpa Box:

stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:09 PM   #17

Use a laptop as my desk computer. I did get a larger 21 inch desktop type screen, but still use the laptop for the keyboard and a mouse rather than the finger pad on laptop.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

No desktops. I have MacBook laptop vintage 2008. Wife runs home photography business with newer MacBook Pro laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-07-2016, 10:19 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I gave my desktop away a few years ago and never bought another. I have a laptop.

I suspect that laptops will be nearly extinct in just a few years as well. However, I love mine and don't intend to give up using a laptop any time soon.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Had only laptops for over 10 years, then Apple came out with a wowzer hi-res "retina 5K" 27 inch display with a built-in iMac, and we had to get it for our photo and video editing. DH is on it all the time.
Same here.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote