Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Still Send Christmas Cards via Post Office?
Yes. I'm old fashioned. Nothing like traditional cards via a physical mailbox. 30 51.72%
Yes. Only to those who aren't socially connected via the net 6 10.34%
No. I but I do e-cards. 1 1.72%
No way! Bah Humbug! 21 36.21%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Still Send Christmas Cards via Post Office?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do You Still Send Christmas Cards via Post Office?

Do you still send Christmas cards the old fashsioned way? With all this technology, is that still necessary?

I'll send some to a few friends that I don't keep up with regularly (not socially networked with them ).

How about you?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, but only to people I do not see -- which is how I have always done it. Technology hasn't changed that.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Parents send me underwear and a $100 check for Christmas. For the cost of a stamp, an envelope and a few hours writing, that's a great deal, so I write one

Sister, too. She might send me a $25 gift card, so another great trade (but her kid gets something that costs more than 44-cents)

Anyone else gets a thank you card only after I've gotten something from them. Otherwise an e-mail is enough
TomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

You can do much more with the Internet. It make so much more sense than sending out so many cards.

Merry Christmas from Al and Lena

On Monday I have to start on the 2010 "card." There's a lot of pressure to make each year's card better.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have young kids, and many of our friends do, too. The norm for young families these days seems to be a generic Christmas card featuring one or more photos of the kids (and sometimes the parents), with a note that says 'Happy Holidays from the Bum Family!'. It's kind of impersonal, but it's nice to see everybody's kiddies, and my wife always takes all the cards we get and displays them during the holidays.

Some years, depending on my energy level, I'll include an update letter, letting everybody know what we've been up to that year. Haven't done one in a couple years, though. We probably send out 75 - 80 cards every year.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I think the kids-only ones are a cop-out.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I haven't ever sent cards. I get a bunch of them of people's kids, which is cool. I of course will write thank you notes for gifts.
T-Al--I love the video and especially you and your DD at graduation. As someone who managed to finally graduate this year, I know what a big deal that is!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I of course will write thank you notes for gifts.
That brings up the issue of email thank you notes. I think they're fine, and I usually include a picture of me using the gift.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You can do much more with the Internet. It make so much more sense than sending out so many cards.

On Monday I have to start on the 2010 "card." There's a lot of pressure to make each year's card better.
That's a great card. How do you do that? What software do you use?
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

DW insists on sending dozens of hand-written Christmas cards to her acquaintances, each customized for the recipient. It takes her days to write them all (I usually lend a hand by printing the address labels and affixing the stamps ). It stresses her out every year because she wants the cards to be perfect, but she keeps on doing it. We receive dozens of Christmas cards back every year which she spreads on our mantle piece like trophies. I don't get it personally. People sending us cards clearly don't put a lot of thoughts into them, so the whole thing kinda feels contrived and a gigantic waste of time. Plus I hate going card shopping with DW. The lengthy process takes place at Target, usually on a Saturday morning in the run-up to Christmas. As close to Hell on earth as I can imagine.

Me? I just send one e-card to everyone. Save a tree and all.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

That sounds like hell itself, FD. We don't even bother with a tree now that we live out in the country. Back when we lived at the beach, we had a big New Years party, so a big tree was required. Now we just don't care. I've secretly always felt that Christmas infringed on my birthday so I was glad to eliminate the decorating business.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I send cards to immediate family, and a few old friends. I carefully choose each card from the selection at Spencer's Gifts...

Still do some decorating, too, and I'm not even religious. Just like all the colored lights! Flashback time...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Your bloopers were hilarious!
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

HFWR, you might be able to find some new cards here:
Free Ecards, Funny Ecards, Greeting Cards, Birthday Ecards, Birthday Cards, Valentine's Day Ecards, Flirting Ecards, Dating Ecards, Friendship Ecards, Wedding Ecards, Anniversary Ecards and more at someecards.com

Old 11-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
Administrator

We still do paper cards to some family and some friends. (e.g. We don't exchange cards between the ourselves and the kids). DW does an update letter.

I maintain a list of who we receive cards from so that over time the number of cards we send has shrunk a lot, particularly as we've had quite a few elderly relatives pass away this last 3 years, The vast majority on the list we are not in contact with via e-mail.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I send cards to immediate family, and a few old friends. I carefully choose each card from the selection at Spencer's Gifts...
I'm with you HFWR. I have a short list of special folks that I chose cards for and include a (sometimes lengthly) personal note. Most return the favor. It's a brief break from life's "fast track" that we enjoy every year. 51 weeks of rushed "point and clicking." One week of thoughtful, hand written notes on cards I picked with them in mind. I enjoy spending a little time that way.

When my mom was still alive, she liked to bake treats for local family members at the holidays. When two of her nephews thanked her with emails (sent to her through me - she had no email account or computer), we responded by sending them an email with a pic of a plate of cookies the following year!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Haven't sent holiday cards for decades. Don't do holiday gifts either.

It's been my personal observation that holiday stuff tends to be "woman's work".
Old 11-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Haven't sent holiday cards for decades. Don't do holiday gifts either.

It's been my personal observation that holiday stuff tends to be "woman's work".
Ever since moving to the USA the only gifts we have been buying are for our 2 kids. That was a big relief.

DW is the main gift buyer in our house, so I certainly fit that male stereotype. (I do the cards).
Old 11-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

I still send a few cards but not near as many as I did years ago . If I could only figure how to photo shop Me & the SO on Al's video I would send that out . Of course my friends would be wondering when I got a Swedish accent !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

To me, the process of buying a manufactured paper card with someone else's poem, signing it, mailing it far away, so someone can know that you wish them well, and place it in the recycling bin, is a gigantic waste of time, trees and sincerity. It was fine for the 19th century. About 10 years ago someone sent me a Jacquie Lawson animated ecard http://www.jacquielawson.com/ and I loved it. I have had an annual subscription ever since. For $12 annually I can keep my mailing list on their site and can send unlimited cards with personalized messages. There are a couple of older relatives who expect written cards and are very disappointed if they don't get them. So I send perhaps three paper cards per year. If anyone else has a favourite ecard site, please post it on this thread so we can ring the changes!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote