Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Do you think that the folks that followed Hitler were truly unique human bei
Old 05-26-2006, 07:46 AM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do you think that the folks that followed Hitler were truly unique human bei

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Like what?
North Dakota.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2006, 08:54 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Like what?
I'm surprised by the low numbers for southern Ohio.

CoolDood,
Interesting map--thanks.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
North Dakota.
I've never been there, but I've seen the movie "Fargo." I think it's a variation of the "there are no atheists in fox-holes" theme.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:49 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Re: Do you think that the folks that followed Hitler were truly unique human beings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot
Religion is often used by people to justify horrific acts, but that does not mean that those horrific acts are sanctioned by the religion.
Quite true, as is the case with non-religious originated violence.

However, if you'll read the list of occurences I posted, you'll see that just about every major religion has in fact sanctioned and driven violence that frankly made the nazi's look like pussies.

I'm pretty sure that when the Pope is issuing edicts, that counts as an official sanction.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Do you think that the folks that followed Hitler were truly unique human beings?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:53 AM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny

However, if you'll read the list of occurences I posted, you'll see that just about every major religion has in fact sanctioned and driven violence that frankly made the nazi's look like pussies.

Now come on, 10 million killed in concentration camps I think trumps just about anything anybody else has done, not for lack of trying....maybe Stalin's purges compare.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:03 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

If you consider volume the chief measurement.

Wiping out a whole village, burning the children and old folks in front of the parents while you gut them to make sure they didnt swallow any valuables...fully sanctioned by a religious leader...

Some of this **** ran on for decades, or on and off over a period of over a hundred years.

There were a lot of crusades and crusade spinoffs.

By the way, before someone takes license with my intent and spreads it across three threads in defiance of anything I actually said, I'm not trying to say that religion is the worst thing, that its caused the worst violence or the worst volume of violence.

Simply that almost every major religion has engaged in directed, wholesale, really unpleasant violence against their own people or non-believers/heathens. And looking at the original thread topic, that the nazi's arent unique at all - man has perpetuated horrible violence against man for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes for some pretty lousy ones. Sometimes with "authorization". Often without.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:37 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
Hmm, emacs vs. Hitler.

Choice seems pretty clear-cut to me.

Bpp
Oh, come on. emacs isn't that bad. But close.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:18 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Ever notice all serial killers and assasins are known by all three names?
Isn't their middle name always Wayne or Lee?

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:28 PM   #89

so Illinoisians are more religious than Indianans, and New Yorkers much more religious than West Virginians--and perhaps even than South Carolinians--my, my!
Old 05-26-2006, 04:35 PM   #90

The most valuable indicator of whether a person has the same NAZI tendency to follow any hate-mongerinig leader is "POST COUNT". How much does a person desire attention, and that's your NAZI!
Old 05-26-2006, 05:24 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Try to chill out OAP my friend. These other guys are my buddies too.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:49 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
so Illinoisians are more religious than Indianans, and New Yorkers much more religious than West Virginians--and perhaps even than South Carolinians--my, my!
Yeah, look at that!* The Illini, expresssed as a percentage of religious organization members to total population, seem to be leading the Hoosiers!* Who would have thought?* Of course, come to think of it, we Illini are a very Blue State while those Hoosiers are a very Red State.

I wonder if being a "member" of a church, temple or mosque is the same as being "religious?"

Old 05-28-2006, 09:57 PM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
Isn't their middle name always Wayne or Lee?
Mike D.
Took me a while to track this down on Chuck Shepherd's "News of the Weird" website:

"* Arrested recently and awaiting trial for murder: Bruce Wayne
Potts, 34 (DeSoto, Tex., February); Oral Wayne Nobles, 71
(arrested in Kingman, Ariz., on a Massachusetts warrant, April);
Ronald Wayne Spencer Jr., 19 (Richardson, Tex., April). Arrested
and suspected of murder: Darrell Wayne Lewis, 32 (Tempe, Ariz.,
March). Sentenced for murder: David Wayne Hickman (Dallas,
Tex., May); Anthony Wayne Welch, 27 (Viera, Fla., March).
Committed suicide while serving life in prison for murder: John
Wayne Glover, 72 (Sydney, Australia, September 2005). [Dallas
Morning News, 2-2-06] [Boston Globe, 4-4-06] [Dallas Morning
News, 4-12-06] [Arizona Republic, 3-15-06] [Dallas Morning
News, 5-12-06] [Miami Herald-AP, 3-8-06] [Sydney Morning
Herald, 9-9-05]"

http://NewsoftheWeird.blogspot.com

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote