Join Early Retirement Today

Do you Think Things are better now?
Old 07-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Do you Think Things are better now?

From another thread about Montgomery Wards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
yep, it's a different world from when I was a kid.....better I think,
Do you think times are better now than what they used to be? I sure do. Based solely on medicine. I'd be dead a hundred times over if it was then instead of now and I am only talking about the last 75 years. I'm 60 (Oh, dear, where did all the time go?) and got diabetes in 1960 at age 6 and a kidney/pancreas transplant in 1996 at age 42. I wouldn't be here without modern medicine and my wonderful wife of 38 years!

Mike D.

I also love the computer/communications breakthroughs.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Yup. Think of the marvels of modern dental and health care that have happened in the past 50-100 years. Let us see.... when I was 12 I got me hand caught in a piece of machinery. I've had over 30 filiings since my teeth have always been "soft" according to my dentist. At 40, I fell off the roof any broke both legs..badly. If this happened 100 years ago I would be toothless, missing a left hand and walking (maybe) with a severe limp. More likely I'd be dead from various infections and other things I've experienced from a life time of travel.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #3

Some things are much, much better. Some things are much, much worse. Whether they are better or worse overall largely depends on what aspects of life, society and economy you put the most weight into.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a half glass full guy, so yeah.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #5

Things are better, definitely. People, as a group, are the same. Communication improvements have made the normal human shenanigans around the world more transparent, so it may seem more bad stuff is going on, but that stuff went on anyway. Just no one knew about it like they do now.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #6

I have to admit it's getting better. A little better all the time.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #7

Better, MUCH BETTER!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Things are better, definitely. People, as a group, are the same. Communication improvements have made the normal human shenanigans around the world more transparent, so it may seem more bad stuff is going on, but that stuff went on anyway. Just no one knew about it like they do now.
As a parent this is especially evident. There have always been pedophiles and predators -but now parents won't let their kids (even teens) play outside without supervision. (I'm bucking this trend big time - not quite free-range - but I definitely push my kids out of the nest regularly.) I remember walking to school from Kinder on, w/out a parent. Since I live in the same house I grew up in it's easy to compare to my own childhood. I considered when to allow my kids to walk to the same school I attended... peer pressure from other parents (and fear of much more aggressive drivers) had me wait till the boys reached 4th grade before I let them walk to school without a parent. Even at that age other parents (and a teacher) told me I was abusive.

We're more aware of crime, etc, because of the 24 hour news cycle... but the bad stuff has always been there. Now we live in fear. The world is largely the same (as far as people.)

As far as innovations - I love my computer. I love my tablet. I love my HD tv. I love my energy star appliances.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Getting so much better all the time!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:48 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Almost everything is better than when I was a kid. Really the only thing we have to fear is fear itself which is constantly hyped by the ever present media.

Life expectancy is up, crime is down. Out bigger homes our crammed with amazing appliance, greatly reducing the drudgery of everything from making bread, to doing laundry. We no longer have endure old age, with worn out knees, arthritic hips, eyes clouded over by cataracts, or listen to the TV with the volume cranked up.

Out cars, are several times safer, quieter, generally more comfortable, far more fuel efficient, and vastly more reliable than our in our youth. Flying is safer, and less expensive, albeit less fun than it was decades ago.

We have significantly higher rates of graduations for both high school, and college, and much better opportunities to get education even if we aren't traditional students. Not to mention the vast resources of the internet.

As a society we are far more tolerant of those who are different than us, skin color, sexual orientation, religions, and ethnicity are more diverse and more accepted.

Although it feels like we are highly polarized, (and we are in Congress) as society I look back at the 1960 or the 1860 and say now those were really a polarized time.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
I'm a half glass full guy, so yeah.
Well I'm a glass half-empty kind of guy, and even I think things are better now, much better.

There are pockets that seem worse, but that might just be media hype. Or it's just that not every single thing has gotten better, but overall, yes, much better.

-ERD50
Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Yep. A big part is the Internet!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Can't get no worse...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Hard to be objective about this question. The modern conveniences and medical advances make this an easy question to answer as yes "for me"!!! Unfortunately so many of the comforts us relatively wealthy folks enjoy have come at the expense of other people and the health of our planet. Ask me if I am optimistic that the average person born today. Will they have as good a shot at fairness, justice and a long healthy life as I have. I can only feel profoundly concerned. Not a clue how to answer that one.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger View Post
... Unfortunately so many of the comforts us relatively wealthy folks enjoy have come at the expense of other people and the health of our planet. ...
?

Our power is cleaner than ever. Pollution controls are more strict. A car today puts out a hundredth, in some case thousandths of the amounts of pollutants as they did 50 years ago. Appliances are more efficient. Recycling is commonplace today.

Sure, our modern lifestyles affect the planet, but in terms of things getting better or worse, they seem far, far better to me today than 50 years ago. And I expect further improvements as renewable sources improve. I'm also optimistic that advances in materials sciences will breath new life into old technologies. Modern materials might bring big improvements to the old internal combustion engines, or it might make a gas turbine with battery series hybrid practical for cars and trucks.

I don't want to go too far into the 'at the expense of other people' comment for fear of going political, but more than anyone, poor people today are far better off than they were 50 years ago.

-ERD50
Old 07-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #16

Things were much better. Things were on a pretty steady track toward improvement, going back 350 years, even. The trend in the last 40 years has been in the opposite direction, though it is still too soon to say whether that is just the downside of a normal oscillating cycle or a true inflection in the trend, marking a prolonged period (i.e., more than a few generations) of decline.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #17

For all the reasons stated above, I concur things are better. I know I wouldn't have made it to 40 50 years ago.

Despite that, I wonder if people are as happy as they were in the past.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Things were much better. Things were on a pretty steady track toward improvement, going back 350 years, even. The trend in the last 40 years has been in the opposite direction, though it is still too soon to say whether that is just the downside of a normal oscillating cycle or a true inflection in the trend, marking a prolonged period (i.e., more than a few generations) of decline.

What, in your view, has gotten worse in the last 40 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

From my personal viewpoint things are way better than they were 50 years ago.

Just within my family. My fathers father was a poor farmer trying to live off the land, my mother and father never finished high school, and he worked as a laborer for the railroad all his life. All of his children have finished high school and most of them college (me included). ALL of his grandchildren have gone onto college, including my daughter.

So 50 years ago, I was five, living in a shack in a company town owned by the coal mines. I now have my own successful architectural practice, live in a beautiful home with a beautiful wife and daughter, have no debt, and pretty much can do what I want. Looking back at my poor childhood, I am amazed I have successfully made it to the point I am retiring this year.

Thus personally, my family is so much better off than we were 50 years ago, and I haven't even touched on the subjects of electronics, health, internet, etc. So yes, things are WAY better now
Old 07-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #20

Medicine is way better. I often think about how I would have lost my beautiful daughter if it was not for antibiotics. She ended up with a lung infection after going to finals and working with a bad cough/bronchitis. Within 12 hours after a shot and follow up pills her fever broke and she was well on her way to recovery. How tragic it was for people before antibiotics!
One complaint is the rise of terrorism/hate around the world - and no sign of it ending. There have always been problems and brutality, it just seems so much more complicated now.