Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-10-2016, 07:46 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I will usually give a couple of short "beeps" to get the persons attention. If using the horn is against the law then maybe there should be a class action suit against all auto makers for installing equipment in a car that is illegal. The LEO is a "whack-a-mole".

The only reason I would hesitate to use my horn is if the person in the other car is threatening with a gun. Unfortunately that would not be unusual for Florida.

Cheers!
Try to keep up here. Using a horn is not against the law if you use it for safety reasons. To say maybe there should be a class action suit is like saying there should be a suit against baseball bat makers because some might use them illegally to beat other people rather than for their intended use. I know it was (hopefully) tongue in cheek but it wasn't very clever.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 07:49 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I'd buy that argument, but for those who didn't click on the link, the article shows that it is indeed against the law to honk unless it is a safety issue. That's what the horn is for, safety. Not to express anger or as a greeting or anything else.

Not legally, but I doubt you'd ever be prosecuted. But I hate that myself, because it startles me. I had a neighbor who used to honk every time he drove by and see me running, even if I was on the edge of a road with a steep drop off. I'd be running against traffic so I could see cars coming, but if I hear a horn behind me my reaction to the horn is that there is a danger and my instinct is to step off the road, which would be in a ditch or down an embankment. Finally I told him to stop, and he did. If you really want to greet your neighbor, slow down as you pass and wave.
The one that really annoys me is the beep when people use their key fobs to lock their cars. Walking through a parking lot is dangerous enough, then somebody hits their lock button 4 or 5 times just as you are walking past their car. It makes me jump, hopefully not into traffic. I wish all cars had a less offensive electronic beep like my car has. Still annoying, but not as startling.
Do You Toot?
Old 04-10-2016, 08:24 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Do You Toot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow - never heard of a ticket for honking your horn!
Yeah, like what would we do with all those NY taxi cab drivers, right?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:20 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Try to keep up here. Using a horn is not against the law if you use it for safety reasons. To say maybe there should be a class action suit is like saying there should be a suit against baseball bat makers because some might use them illegally to beat other people rather than for their intended use. I know it was (hopefully) tongue in cheek but it wasn't very clever.
I used to think using a baseball bat to play baseball was an event you would not get sued for but in 2012 Little Slugger was successfully sued when a ball hit from one of their bats struck the pitcher in the head giving him brain damage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/23/ny...tled.html?_r=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Yeah, like what would we do with all those NY taxi cab drivers, right?
Exactly. I think a definition of "1 second" is the time it takes from a traffic light turning green to the sound of the first horn.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I used to think using a baseball bat to play baseball was an event you would not get sued for but in 2012 Little Slugger was successfully sued when a ball hit from one of their bats struck the pitcher in the head giving him brain damage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/23/ny...tled.html?_r=0

IMHO, metal bats should be outlawed for little league, HS and college play. I played with a wood bat as a kid, teen and adult. Some of these overly hot metal bats allow mediocre hitters to hit rockets and I have even seen warnings/disclaimers of liability printed on such bats by the manufacturer.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:02 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not legally, but I doubt you'd ever be prosecuted. But I hate that myself, because it startles me. I had a neighbor who used to honk every time he drove by and see me running, even if I was on the edge of a road with a steep drop off. I'd be running against traffic so I could see cars coming, but if I hear a horn behind me my reaction to the horn is that there is a danger and my instinct is to step off the road, which would be in a ditch or down an embankment. Finally I told him to stop, and he did. If you really want to greet your neighbor, slow down as you pass and wave.
If my neighbor slows down and waves, and I don't notice, does that send a signal back to them that they should beep?

That followup is tongue in cheek. We live in a neighborhood that is very quiet, and people seem to be very private and guarded. A new neighbor seems intent on beeping every time she drives by, when I am on a walk. I am not really focused on neighbors driving their cars when I am out on a walk with doggie. There seem to be a lot of technically-illegal behaviors that are no longer discussed or enforced.

I think if I ever get pulled over for a short toot at the moron who is texting in the car in front of me, I would be very irate. But technically I was in the wrong.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, I will give a quick toot. I would also contest the ticket.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Pretty odd to see someone named "Kaneohe" advocating the horn. Drive with aloha brah--you'll get there.
Cricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricky View Post
Pretty odd to see someone named "Kaneohe" advocating the horn. Drive with aloha brah--you'll get there.
Eh, brah. You no can read or what? OP says DW is the tooter, not me.
Not that I'm w/o sin here tho
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I think a definition of "1 second" is the time it takes from a traffic light turning green to the sound of the first horn.
Actually, that's the definition of a nanosecond in many places I've lived.

Also, a "New York second" which is the same thing.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I said "advocating" (not "using"), but even that was probably too strong. Should have said I'm surprised someone named Kaneohe even thinks this is a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Not that I'm w/o sin here tho
Yeah, me either. I live on the mainland now, in Atlanta, and I'm afraid I'm picking up local customs.

Anyway, if this happened on Oahu, I'm not sure I'd count on HPD not showing up.
Cricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:32 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
I clicked on this thread cause I though it was about eating beans or something similar.

heh heh heh - let em eat bacon.
I resemble that remark.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I am not sure where the button for my horn is. I had a Ford long ago that put it in a funny place and I got it confused with the wipers, to the amusement of my passengers.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

I used to beep the horn at drivers sitting at a green arrow or light, but not since I retired. I can sit behind them all day now.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Seems to me the driver parked at a green light on their cellphone or day dreaming should be the one receiving a ticket. Never heard of blowing ones horn at a traffic offender causing a ticket.

Me neither. If that was a ticketable offense, I would have to take out a loan to pay them off. I do it when someone in front of me is obviously oblivious to the green light in front of them, not thinking twice about whether a cop is there. Maybe I've been lucky.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near. Let it roll, baby, roll!" - The Doors
Old 04-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #36

I will toot, but I try to wait 2 or 3 seconds before doing so.
I'm just not in that big of a hurry.

Besides, I'd be willing to bet everyone posting here has been on the other side of the argument. ((the one that was distracted & didn't see the light change))

I despise people that think their time is so damm valuable.
You know, the ones that begin pounding on the horn when someone is a nanosecond late.

As a matter fact I have a saying which is sort of a contradiction, but applies to those extremely impatient types.

"Life's too short to be in that big of a hurry"
ownyourfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I will toot, but I try to wait 2 or 3 seconds before doing so.

I'm just not in that big of a hurry.

Besides, I'd be willing to bet everyone posting here has been on the other side of the argument. ((the one that was distracted & didn't see the light change))

I despise people that think their time is so damm valuable.

You know, the ones that begin pounding on the horn when someone is a nanosecond late.

As a matter fact I have a saying which is sort of a contradiction, but applies to those extremely impatient types.

"Life's too short to be in that big of a hurry"

While I agree in principle, in most major metro areas we're trying to get a million or two from here to there, so at least some minor attention to signals/signs, proper lane protocol, traffic flow/speed, etc., makes the commute faster AND safer for all involved.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:01 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

yeah I toot, hard

replaced the stock horns with these

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-00339980.../dp/B000CRZXPI
Old 04-11-2016, 02:25 PM   #39

In Los Angeles, the only people who don't get tail-gated or honked at are those on foot, and even they get honked at (or nearly--if not actually--run over).
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

No, but I brake hard.