Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I like it. A great way to catch up with friends and family. Like most tech its a tool and it's what you make of it. Kids prefer twitter.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Traveler View Post
I like it. A great way to catch up with friends and family. Like most tech its a tool and it's what you make of it. Kids prefer twitter.
+ 1 My son signed me up (with my OK)several years ago. I initially used it very rarely. I now go on once a day or so just to see who's posting, and occasionally I will post something light about my DIY travails, or the joys of being a grandparent.
And, yes, it's also been nice to hook up with some old friends from childhood.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #23

Yes I use it. I don't post too often on it but initially the kids set me up with an account and I still follow them on it. As well, some of my student groups use it as a learning tool instead of Google Docs. I think that it has pretty reasonable functionality.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Just curious, why do a lot of people say they use it to keep up with friends and relatives? Don't they know about email or is this so they can share with the world. I send group emails when I have something to share with friends and relatives. I don't want my pictures or comments to sisters and friends seen/read by all.
Many of my friends and relatives do not use email outside of work, and some of them read personal email infrequently. Within Facebook it is possible to post or message a specific individual.

Sometimes my friends send me posts about interest groups I might want to join. For example, I have joined a fascinating history group.

There is no single medium that covers everyone, and the landscape is constantly changing. I try to keep in touch with my friends using their medium of choice, though I must admit that if they make it difficult for me do not use any electronic media at all I am less likely to work at maintaining the relationship. A good friend and past neighbour only communicates by handwritten letters, and nowadays we exchange letters just once a year.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #25

I like it to stay in touch with friends scattered around the country.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #26

Yes, I'm on facebook, along with all of my kids &
most of my relatives including my 84 yr old mother.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #27

the FB UI looks and works like something a beginner computer geek cobbled together in 1981
Old 10-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #28

I get a little frustrated with FB from time to time, as it gives me the same level of detail about the lives of people in my outer circle as it does from those who occupy my "inner circle". Nevertheless, it's quite useful although I do sometimes think that it artificially prolongs the natural process of falling out of touch with people who would otherwise drift out of my life.

I have begun to customize my feed to deliver me information on hobbies and subjects I am interested in, as well as news from a number of trusted sources.

It's good for posting pictures of cats as well!
Old 10-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

It's how I keep in touch with my real live close friends.

And, it's how my immediate family first found out about the sudden unexpected death of my brother a few days ago.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #30

I view facebook as the AOL of the 21st century....

-gauss
Old 10-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

No...I do not have a Facebook account or use it in any way. Total waste of time.

I do, however, play World of Warcraft....which is so much more mature and never a waste of time.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #32

Do you use Facebook ?

I've never been on Facebook.

If you do, and find it useful, then roll.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Nope

I personally believe it's ridiculous... but what do I know. My prejudice kept me from buying FB when it was trading near $18.00.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
I view facebook as the AOL of the 21st century....

-gauss
Although I still use it a lot, I do believe it has jumped the shark. The decline (which I think has already begun) will be slow.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #35

I use it and like it (along with Instagram and Twitter, just a little bit). I keep my friends list pretty tight, don't accept people I don't know fairly well, do not ever post on vacations nor do I use locations on post, and posts are only visible to friends.

That said, my tri sponsors require that I am active on social media, hence I do it more than I otherwise would. Still, I like seeing what my old friends are up to.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
the FB UI looks and works like something a beginner computer geek cobbled together in 1981
What do you consider to be a 2014 GUI?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #37

Glad to see I am not alone in having no use for Facebook. I frequently think about Betty White's monologue line about Facebook when she hosted Saturday Night Live back in 2010:

“I didn’t know what Facebook was, and now that I do know what it is, I have to say, it sounds like a huge waste of time.”

You nailed it, Betty White!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I use it all the time. I probably spend 20 minutes a day on there, and sometimes an hour (between facebook and reading things linked to from facebook). I never browse news sites any more since my friends or "friends" or groups I belong to tend to post much more relevant and timely information or links to interesting stories.

I block a ton of people that I don't want to know anything about but don't want to delete them from my life forever.

It's a very useful tool for finding out what's up with friends, setting up social events between friends, and chatting with other people about any variety of things (hey neighbor can I borrow your X, "amigo, do you know how to nixtalamize corn?"). It's also very useful to share interesting photos or videos of our kids with my family and friends.

It's just another communication tool like a phone, email, snail mail, talking in person, etc. I hear people complain all the time about it and it's usually annoying "friends" that make their facebook experience crappy. I politely suggest blocking (adding to ignore list) anyone who they find unimportant so that their news stream is nearly 100% signal and almost zero noise.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #39

I have a widespread family- nieces, nephews, cousins- in areas I never visit and it's been wonderful to keep in touch with them and see bits of their lives. Same with former coworkers and with people in my HS class (I'm hundreds of miles away and rarely visit the area). Because of FB, we occasionally get visits from family who are driving cross-country (we're not far off I-70) because they know where we are and know us well enough to ask if they can crash here for a night. We enjoy that.

It has its drawbacks. I get banner ads from Wal-Mart telling me a now-deceased acquaintance "likes" WM because the family kept her account open so they could share thoughts and memories. I've blocked the feed of contacts who do nothing but repost ooey-gooey recipes with processed foods that will never see the inside of my kitchen. I tend to tangle with 2 former HS classmates over some political issues where we disagree; not sure if I should show up at my next reunion! But, in general, I'd rather be with FB than without it.

DH and a friend from college do have fake names. DH wanted to be connected to a Board of people dealing with the same rare disease he has. He was named after a suave British actor (long dead, common last name) and uses the actor's last name. The college friend uses the name of the main character in a favorite novel. Zuckerberg hasn't caught onto them yet.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I am surprised at the animosity shown towards FB by those that are quite active in this Forum. Perhaps someone can explain to me in what way the two venues differ. (I have been treating them as the same so some correction seems in order.)

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote