Do you use Facebook ?

There are a couple of ways to make Facebook more user-friendly. One is to "unfollow" all the posters who annoy you, and the other is to set-up a "close friends" group with only those you care to see.

I'm very private and don't like my identity spread all over the intertubes. I know that everything I read online is tracked by someone somewhere but I just don't like being public. I express myself the most right here on ER.org.

Sounds a lot like me. This site is the most social I've ever been online.

Facebook assumes that you as a user want to seek out others and have others seek out you. ... I don't want people looking for me and I have no real desire to seek out others.

I completely agree. I've always thought that many social media platforms like FB fit better with folks that have more exhibitionist tendencies.

I have no desire to participate in platforms like FB, though if others want to do so, have at it, just don't expect me to be there. It is kind of annoying though to find businesses that only have a FB presence and not a website. I tend not to work with businesses that don't have a useful website.

My only real use for FB has been as a stock. Bought some when it dipped to 19 a while after the IPO. (Of course, now I wish I had bought more.)

I read FB once or twice a week, devoting five minutes to it (no more).
I post something two or three times a year.

OTOH, DW usually spends up to an hour a day on it, occasionally much more.

I like the analogy of FB as the "AOL of the 21st century." 😝

Like the OP, I find Facebook useful for staying connected with people, both local friends and long-lost cousins. I do limit my time on it to one session per day, usually spending 10-15 minutes there. I don't post my own stuff very often, but I do "like" and comment on other posts pretty regularly.

One example: the very small town where I grew up has a FB page and recently someone posted the HS class picture from 1928, mentioning in the comments a great uncle's name. The next person posting mentioned a great aunt's name as also being in the picture. So I now have a picture of two relatives that I would never have had otherwise.

Another example: I'm not close friends with any of my HS classmates, but did friend a couple of them on FB several years ago. As a result, I got a friend request from my best friend in elementary school, who had moved away in 7th grade and we had completely lost touch. Come to find out we are both NASCAR fans and Jeff Gordon is our favorite driver. Who'da thunk?

I've been on it for 6 years. I joined when a bunch of high school friends began organizing a reunion. Facebook was invaluable to finding many missing classmates. Now it's a great way to keep up with all these friends I reconnected with, as well as my kids, all their friends, and former co-workers across the country. I can't imagine giving it up. However, I really regret talking DH into joining. He's totally obsessed.

Another example: I'm not close friends with any of my HS classmates, but did friend a couple of them on FB several years ago. As a result, I got a friend request from my best friend in elementary school, who had moved away in 7th grade and we had completely lost touch. Come to find out we are both NASCAR fans and Jeff Gordon is our favorite driver. Who'da thunk?

Wow! That's amazing. That would be like you both being NBA fans and liking LeBron James. What are the chances?

Seriously, though, it is odd who you can run into. Back in the dark ages of FB (maybe 2008 or so) I was browsing through a friend's friend list and found a long lost first cousin from my estranged father's side of the family. Pretty cool. We exchanged friend invites, wrote a message or two, then promptly lost contact again. However, now if one of us dies the other one will probably find out.

I have no use for social media, and probably never will. Not on Facebook, Twitter, nor any other site except LinkedIn, and that was only for professional reasons when I was last circulating my resume looking for a job change.

After I leave the IT field, I'm going to delete probably 95% of all my LinkedIn connections, because I'll have zero need to ever have any communication with them again.

I don't imagine I'll ever have a social media presence. I've never felt the need to remain in such close contact with past acquaintances, nor communicate my activities to a bunch of people.

Social media works for a lot of folks out there, and they get benefit from it, which is fine. It just has no appeal to me at all.

Wow! That's amazing. That would be like you both being NBA fans and liking LeBron James. What are the chances

Harley, You made me laugh out loud!!! I was thinking similar. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Facebook is a tool. It has some good uses, and it can be miss used. We maintain two Facebook groups. One for our subdivision and another for my Air Force Flight school class. Both have proven very useful in getting the word out without having to set up and maintain websites.

Back
Top Bottom