Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Another example: I'm not close friends with any of my HS classmates, but did friend a couple of them on FB several years ago. As a result, I got a friend request from my best friend in elementary school, who had moved away in 7th grade and we had completely lost touch. Come to find out we are both NASCAR fans and Jeff Gordon is our favorite driver. Who'da thunk?
Wow! That's amazing. That would be like you both being NBA fans and liking LeBron James. What are the chances?

Seriously, though, it is odd who you can run into. Back in the dark ages of FB (maybe 2008 or so) I was browsing through a friend's friend list and found a long lost first cousin from my estranged father's side of the family. Pretty cool. We exchanged friend invites, wrote a message or two, then promptly lost contact again. However, now if one of us dies the other one will probably find out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have no use for social media, and probably never will. Not on Facebook, Twitter, nor any other site except LinkedIn, and that was only for professional reasons when I was last circulating my resume looking for a job change.

After I leave the IT field, I'm going to delete probably 95% of all my LinkedIn connections, because I'll have zero need to ever have any communication with them again.

I don't imagine I'll ever have a social media presence. I've never felt the need to remain in such close contact with past acquaintances, nor communicate my activities to a bunch of people.

Social media works for a lot of folks out there, and they get benefit from it, which is fine. It just has no appeal to me at all.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Wow! That's amazing. That would be like you both being NBA fans and liking LeBron James. What are the chances
Harley, You made me laugh out loud!!! I was thinking similar.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #84

Facebook is a tool. It has some good uses, and it can be miss used. We maintain two Facebook groups. One for our subdivision and another for my Air Force Flight school class. Both have proven very useful in getting the word out without having to set up and maintain websites.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #85

I used to date Miss Used.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #86

I heard that she wasn't Miss Used before you dated her
Old 10-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I heard that she wasn't Miss Used before you dated her

They were all sweet people. They ran into Mr. Huh?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you wanna feel real old, watch this:

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote