Join Early Retirement Today

Do you use Facebook ?
Old 10-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you use Facebook ?

Always stayed away from it for various and sundry reasons but due to the HOA having a FB page I joined. Since then I have found it a nice way to re-connect with old friends and as well as keeping in touch with family spread all across the country/world.

What say you, do you Facebook ?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
gone traveling

Have been on it for several years for the reasons you mentioned. Welcome to the 21st century.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, but not as a way to reconnect with old friends. We have a disguised name and post as a couple, so old acquaintances won't find us. We use it to stay connected with the local nature enthusiasts plus the neighborhood. It works great for that through the group forums and the pages maintained by the local nature parks. Local folks we know quickly figure out who we are on FB. We do keep track of family members on Facebook but almost never post very personal stuff.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #4

Nope. Not that interested in other people postings nor do I want to share my life that much. I have heard horror stories about friends (of friends) posting about their drunk sexual exploits.... I really don't want to know that about them.

I always said I'd get it when my kids got accounts, to monitor them. But facebook has thankfully fallen out of favor for the younger generation. My 13 year old tweets, is on instagram, has a youtube channel... but only has a facebook account to promote his youtube videos - and rarely uses it for that. I know his passwords - so I just log on as him to monitor. (I do follow him on twitter and youtube, though.)

He said facebook is for "moms". None of his friends are on it - just the parents.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nope...no desire at all.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I use it to keep in touch with younger relatives and also use a page dedicated to a hobby interest.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Never even a thought to acquire it.......
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #8

Only use it in "read only" mode occasionally -- No posting.

Also Feel that it might be useful to keep a directory of people from my past.
-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I was a late adopter of Facebook but I find it invaluable in reconnecting and keeping in touch with relatives and friends abroad. I do think some people show poor judgment in what they post, though.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Couldn't live without it. I am now in touch with around a hundred people that I would not be without FB... people I dearly appreciate knowing.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #11

I don't but DW does and she lets me know if anything "important" comes up.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Nope.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Nope. I have no use for it.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #14

Nope. I do have an account for the occasional times I need to log-in but posting personal stuff is a no priority item. Half of what I see others post I'd rather not know (usually lowers my opinion of them). Email is set up to send anything from facebook.com into the junk folder.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #15

Always turned my nose up at it because it just seemed like a lot of "look at me and how great my life is" or so I've heard. Don't care to reconnect with people from 40 years ago, but OTOH the few I DO want to grill me on why I don't use FB. May consider the disguised name thing, but won't MZ hunt me down for that?
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

DW has an account and it is for keeping up with family and her woman's church group. I can't stand Facebook although I have an old account that I very rarely look at. I usually can't remember my password for it so signing on is generally not happening.

I find LinkedIn more useful as I have found a few college pals and a really good old friend I lost contact with.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #17

Just curious, why do a lot of people say they use it to keep up with friends and relatives? Don't they know about email or is this so they can share with the world. I send group emails when I have something to share with friends and relatives. I don't want my pictures or comments to sisters and friends seen/read by all.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Nope. I tried to find our photography class on it once, but couldn't figure it out. I can email and text whoever I want so I don't need Facebook

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Just curious, why do a lot of people say they use it to keep up with friends and relatives? Don't they know about email or is this so they can share with the world. I send group emails when I have something to share with friends and relatives. I don't want my pictures or comments to sisters and friends seen/read by all.
You might not believe this, but the younger generation seems to be using e-mail less and less. My 20 year old granddaughter in college prefers text messaging over e-mail. She says that her friends communicate the same way. I don't believe she has a Facebook account anymore (she deleted it a while back).

My younger sister (early 60's) hand writes me an occasional letter. It's a mixed bag the way families communicate as far as I am able to figure it out. One SIL sends a group e-mail on occasion, the BIL's usually use a phone for what it was designed for and make calls occasionally.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I am a long ways from a 20-something but even I know that E-mail is not a very useful form of social interaction -- ranks (with me) on par with Snail Mail. (And Bulk e-mails -- to me -- are on par with Junk Mail delivered by the USPS.)

FWIW, the User has complete control over who can read/see on one's account. I don't care who reads/sees anything on my page so I have no restrictions but I know many who place very tight controls on their "friends."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote