Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankiesGirl View Post
I am a member and it helped enormously during the hurricane. Got info from folks near the bayous and around the general area of where to avoid, places open, roadways to be cautious with and community information.

I use it also to find garage sales, give away building materials and keep an eye out for lost pets.

I turned off all notifications other than emergencies. I also make sure to report the garbage posters (spam, drama queens) when I come across them.
Same here. During Irma, the neighbors who stayed kept the rest of us up to date on when roads were safe, power was back, etc. There was also an ongoing thread that alerted people when stores got shipments of water or gasoline.

Before Irma, it was basically where you asked for recommendations for service providers.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think I heard about it here awhile back and checked it out. We had a Yahoo Group but it was under utilized. Next door is about the same and I could see the dumpster fire from a mile away. So far not too bad though. Good alternative to Craigslist for selling and giveaways. Too many lost cat reports. A neighbor asked me to submit a "dog found" report and I got 50 emails asking if the owner was found because I was slow to update. My #1 pet peeve is people get into 1 on 1 dialogues (what color is the Edsel you have for sale?) that do not involve the community instead of switching to personal messages or email.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Wow. I've never heard of it. We do have an unofficial Facebook page for our subdivision and also an POA run community board. The official one is valuable because you can get information on official POA related stuff. The unofficial one is valuable because you can say things about the POA that would get deleted on the community feed. Both are really useful for things like finding workmen to do stuff or do sell gently used items to some one in the neighboorhood. During the hurricane both were great in giving information about what roads outside the neighborhood were flooding and about what way to travel.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That is pretty funny stuff.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Yes but it is starting to make me paranoid) Mostly bad stuff that is going on is reported.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I read NextDoor quite regularly. I'm really shocked at how some people think. And why do they complain about a recommendation that someone may post? Isn't that what the app is for?

If I see a post I don't like, I just scroll past it (as do most folks) but there are some who just blow it up into a drama. We've had verbal attacks on our neighborhood city workers regarding the homeless problems in our area!

Our neighborhood posts animal sightings (bears, bobcats, mountain lions). I like these because it builds an awareness that we are living in a wild environment... And to not let your beloved pets outside.

We do have a lot of stray pet posts (some neighbors here are upset about those too... I don't know what they expected this app to be!), and environmental warnings.

I just found an ottoman that someone posted for sale. The price was good, it was in great shape and I got to meet one of our neighbors and we swapped stories, as well as getting a decent price of furniture.

So far in like the app and it's been useful to me.
AutumnElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

It is helping a lot of lost pets go home which is awesome. It also tells us about wild animal sightings. Yes people get in fights about stuff such as the homeless. Some people register 0 on the empathy meter)
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote