Join Early Retirement Today

Do You Use Nextdoor?
Old 09-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do You Use Nextdoor?

The "rant of the day" and a couple of comments about Facebook reminded me about the website Nextdoor. For those who are unfamiliar, it's a social networking site that is geared to specific areas, basically, your "neighbors".

I was an early adopter and actually enjoyed it. There was/is a vetting process of sorts that helps eliminate the trolls by requiring you to verify your identity and that you actually live where you say you live. It *was* a good place to get information from around your community. I say *was* because it has now become a dumpster fire almost as big as Facebook. My neighbors now number over 11,000 and the connected neighborhoods stretch to the next county almost 10 miles away.

This blogpost really sums it up very well for the folks in my "neighborhood"

https://suburbanturmoil.com/8-truths...om/2017/08/24/

So...do you use Nextdoor and if so, do you find it useful?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Never heard of it.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Never heard of it.
Here is a recent summary of the company, its growth and coverage around the world.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/20/ne...ds-to-germany/
Old 09-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd say that summary in your original post nails it pretty well. Why are neighbors so eager to fight with each other?

Also, I'd add another rule. If you have cr*p you want to get rid of, Nextdoor is the app for you.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I don't bother with any social media stuff. It's generally a waste of time for me.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
This blogpost really sums it up very well for the folks in my "neighborhood"

https://suburbanturmoil.com/8-truths...om/2017/08/24/
Yes, that pretty much sums it up for my neighborhood too. Every now and again, a thread gets out of control when some "social justice warrior" decides that the terminology or perspective of another member is not exactly in keeping with their precise way of seeing things, and the whole thing blows up. At times it's entertaining, but it can also be rather tiring. Too many people, some of whom are trying way too hard, IMO.

I briefly check the digest e-mails from NextDoor but these days, only read a thread in more detail if it specifically interests me, which isn't very often. Nevertheless, it can be entertaining to see that almost every time there is a loud noise in the neighborhood, someone is on NextDoor asking everyone else if they heard it, and what they think it was. Sheesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I don't bother with any social media stuff. It's generally a waste of time for me.
Very wise, I think.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Never heard of Nextdoor, but the linked blogpost sounds a lot like the conversations during our monthly neighborhood get-togethers... Ugh. Those get-togethers were supposed to foster community
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

we use it
Old 09-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #9

I had never heard of it, but went there to check. Turns out my street is not included, although it has been here since 1996. Lucky me!
Old 09-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

We recently joined it but I'm quickly growing tired of all the crap subjects, emails, and notifications. If DW didn't enjoy reading it, I would unsubscribe.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a member and it helped enormously during the hurricane. Got info from folks near the bayous and around the general area of where to avoid, places open, roadways to be cautious with and community information.

I use it also to find garage sales, give away building materials and keep an eye out for lost pets.

I turned off all notifications other than emergencies. I also make sure to report the garbage posters (spam, drama queens) when I come across them.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #12

I belong to it at my Michigan house. Good for finding owners of lost pets. Lately some crabbiness/complaining.

Where we could really use it, at my Florida condo (due to being a mix of snowbirds who live far away and year-round residents), the 'management' team doesn't want to get it started.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I find it useful for items like rattle snake sightings, what was that loud bang last night at 3 am kind of thing, public service announcements and local crime and accident reports. I tune out the fights between the grown up mean girls and get off my lawn posters. I've never used the lost pets or classified and free item type posts yet but I could see those being useful some day.

It is pretty crazy the free stuff people give away on our Nextdoor group. Given enough time, I'm sure someone could furnish a whole house for free including appliances, with just the free items that get posted.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We have something similar called Front Porch Forum.... sort of like an electrnic town bulletin board. Ours works very well and even with the more controversial political hot topics people are quite civil... after all, with only 1,250 people in town there is a good chance that you will run into each other at the post office or hardware store or wherever.... also, that person whose view you are 180 on may be the person that comes long with their truck and a two strap when you are stuck in a ditch some dark winter night.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

We have been members in two communities. I check in and out occasionally. Conversations that have been useful include: stuff for sale, crime alerts, recommended services like medical, auto, home repair etc...In the first week of our current location, I put a notice out for anyone interested in digging up two ornamental shrubs in our front yard. A couple down the street showed up with a pickup truck and shovels and I helped them load our unwanted shrubs. Sometimes the squabbles are entertaining and others make you wonder why you moved into the area. You can belong to adjoining neighborhoods to expand as you like. Anyway, I find it more useful than not.
sheldon cornped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #16

Our neighborhood has had a Yahoo group for many years, but I see more of the posts migrating over to Nextdoor as folks from neighboring neighborhoods () can also see them. As above, mostly odd animal sightings, reporting teenagers speeding on the streets, selling/giving away household items, asking for contractor recommendations. It's handy.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #17

Our Nextdoor group is pretty entertaining at times.. here's a post from a couple of months back about a supposed Meth house in the hood. It's bizarre....
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2017-09-18 15.09.49.png (241.4 KB, 112 views)
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
We recently joined it but I'm quickly growing tired of all the crap subjects, emails, and notifications. If DW didn't enjoy reading it, I would unsubscribe.
Anything I could say would be considered sexist.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:50 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I use it. It is great for buying and selling stuff locally, getting business recommendations and finding out about local news and gossip. I recently found a blue tooth earpiece and posted it. Within an hour the owner had it back. There are occasional squabbles there, but on the whole, I like it.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #20

I'm on it. There are a few hot button topics in our neighborhood that trigger some really un neighborly posts... Unfortunately, facts don't seem to matter in the mud slinging. It gets really tiring.

But the majority of posts are people selling furniture and lost/found pets. Sometimes some good free stuff is posted (someone gave away a bunch of fescue sod yesterday).