Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good lord, yes. When I'm driving, I'm in a metal projectile moving at 60+ mph - as are all the other jokers all around me - I want all the safety restraints I can get!

I was rear-ended, hard, in 2002, and can still remember the distinct sense that my shoulder harness "had my back" and kept me from whiplashing to and fro.

Amethyst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

The title made me look (well, it could have been bras, jockstraps, or any other wearable item!)

I have religiously worn seatbelts since the dawn of history. It's a no-brainer despite the fact that I share Martha's problem.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
So who. then, are all these people that don't use Seat belts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It appears they don't survive long enough to aspire to early retirement...
My old high school buddy, Warren, would speak up if he were here on the forum. However he NEVER wore a seat-belt....thought they were too confining....he was in a single car accident. His car left the road and rolled over, tossing him out of a side window. He came to rest in a small puddle of water at the bottom of a ditch.....with his car upside-down on top of him.

He had some minor cuts and bruises, but no broken bones or other major trauma to the body.....he drowned. The car was repaired...he wasn't.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Do you wear yours?

Yes. I feel naked without one.
Now I have this vision of bbbam with nothing but a seat belt.

Since adulthood, I have always worn my seat belt. In my childhood, not so much. When I was five years old, I went through the front window of a Corvair in a head on crash. I was riding in the middle of the front bench seat and, you guessed it, with no seat belt (to be fair, they didn't even have seat belts in them until about 1965, I think)
Old 06-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I've never understood people not wearing them. A girl in DDs high school forgot to put her seatbelt back on after getting gas, crashed after swerving around a raccoon, and now she's severely brain-damaged.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #26

IIRC our 63 Pontiac came with "anchors" (holes in the floorboards), but seatbelts were an option. My Dad bought some at Kmart and installed them, but we didn't use them like we should have.

However, it seems to me that the government's advertising and regulations campaigns have worked. I can't remember the last time I was in a car with somebody not buckled-up.

There were some goods along the way. Remember the hated "mouse belts" that ran on a motorized track, or the belts that remained attached to the door?
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now I have this vision of bbbami with nothing but a seat belt.
Funny you should mention that. Didn't you drive across a bridge naked, bbb?

Yes. I got it:

Any Funny Dating Stories to Share, Family or Yours?
Old 06-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #28

Yes! Always!

Yet, I am against laws that require it. I believe the job of government in a free society is to 'EDUCATE not LEGISLATE' to the maximum extent possible. I believe I have the right to be stupid, and I don't expect someone else to pay for my stupidity if I am in an accident.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
It's the First Thing I Notice about a Person in a Car
Old 06-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's the First Thing I Notice about a Person in a Car

Mike D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg resize.php.jpeg (57.2 KB, 5 views)

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Funny you should mention that. Didn't you drive across a bridge naked, bbb?
Mmmm, hmmmm.....yes indeed I did.

Now that I think about it, that's what attracted me to the delicious feel of leather while....ummm, well...never mind....
Old 06-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Yes! Always!

Yet, I am against laws that require it. I believe the job of government in a free society is to 'EDUCATE not LEGISLATE' to the maximum extent possible. I believe I have the right to be stupid, and I don't expect someone else to pay for my stupidity if I am in an accident.
Do you also believe that society should pay the costs of looking after people injured because of failure to wear a seatbelt? Or the costs of looking after their loved ones if they are killed? Because society does pay those costs, even if healthcare is private. Do we have responsiblities to our community to act in a responsible way? Warning: this could start a long debate!
Old 06-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

No debate from me, Meadbh. If anyone sees a wayward post, please report it by using the report post feature, it's an online community duty.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The title made me look (well, it could have been bras, jockstraps, or any other wearable item!)(snip)
Oh dear—it never even occurred to me that the thread title was so ambiguous!
Old 06-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Several years ago I saw a car pushed by another car into the side of a moving train and helped the driver out--she had a seat belt on and was fine. DD was a passenger in an Interstate crash that totaled the car but her seatbelt limited her injuries to a broken bone or two.

Always wear it. And our most recent cars will beep at us until we put it on--I don't think we can override the reminder.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The title made me look (well, it could have been bras, jockstraps, or any other wearable item!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Oh dear—it never even occurred to me that the thread title was so ambiguous!
Meadbh is a naughty girl....
Old 06-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Do you wear yours?

Yes. I feel naked without one.
Same here.

Back in '72, I had someone give me a ride to work and she said she was insulted when I looked for the seatbelt as it implied she was a bad driver.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #37

Meadbh, nope I do not. I am not for 'free' health care. Nor am I for taking care of people that don't take care of themselves. By the way, how do you feel about taking care of the widows of mountain climbers, or paying for their search parties. How about bike riders with or without a helmet.

I don't think it is the function of government to save me from myself!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Meadbh, nope I do not. I am not for 'free' health care. Nor am I for taking care of people that don't take care of themselves. By the way, how do you feel about taking care of the widows of mountain climbers, or paying for their search parties. How about bike riders with or without a helmet.

I don't think it is the function of government to save me from myself!
Or teenagers who try to sail around the world alone and lose a mast....

I do believe that basic health care, particularly preventive care (e.g. immunization) is a public good. The healthier the population, the more productive it is. But I also believe that discretionary health care (e.g. cosmetic surgery), experimental or unvalidated treatments, and rescue of people engaged in dangerous activities should be a cost borne by themselves or their insurance companies.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Anecdote: In '75 I was driving friend to local airport (Moline) in my MG, night cold dry and clear, four lane road with turn lane. Two jacked up cars were racing in the other direction. One went out of control and crossed into my lane sideways.
Large car ahead of me slammed on brakes and smashed racer broadside.
I did what my passenger later called blue-ribbon maneuvering (we were both wearing seatbelts) (MGs really didn't have brakes). I came to a stop in the turn lane ahead of the crash (had some shrapnel damage to my car).

Passenger went over to car that hit racer, there were three people in the front seat belted in, stunned but OK, he told them to turn off ignition, they did.

Then he went over to other car. Was still running but there was no one in it, he turned off ignition. Driver was laying on the pavement several feet away. His car had been hit on passenger's side, he wasn't wearing seatbelt. We covered him with a blanket, ambulance showed up and took him away. Don't think he survived.

Even though the seatbelt didn't specifically protect me from impact, it held me in place so I could operate steering wheel.

If you don't wear your seatbelt you are somewhere beyond stupid.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Another anecdote: In '78 a car pulled out in front of us. We left great skid marks. Slammed it across the street. Seatbelts worked, driver's glasses bounced off the windshield.