Join Early Retirement Today

Do you wear yours?
Old 06-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you wear yours?

Embrace Life
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #2

Always. As does everyone riding with me. Parking brake is not released until all belts are engaged.

R
Old 06-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #3

Have always worn seat belts since my father bought a new (1956) Pontiac Safari (like the Chevy Nomads) with optional seat belts that were dealer installed. In 1962 I bought a 1940 Ford coupe with a Chevy 283; 3-2s; Duntov cam, etc, etc. Before he would let me drive it I had to install seat belts.

When our children were young my wife would sing the "Buckle up for safety" song until they buckled up. They hated the song so they buckled immediately upon getting into a car.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I installed Seat Belts in my vehicle when I was around twenty years old -- I believe it was a 1957 Chevy Convertible but it could have been the "58 or "59" (also convertibles.) I have not been without seatbelts since. The few times I have been in vehicles without them since that time, I have felt... like being undressed, I guess. Would not even consider driving/riding without them.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Have always, and will always...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I wear a seatbelt only when in a private car. Public transit does not have them.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I always wear a seatbelt if there is one. I've seen what can happen in car accidents.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I was in a hard, head on crash. Thanks to a relatively new car, seatbelts, and airbags, I walked away. It took a while to be close to normal, but I am. I would be dead wtihout these things. I have never thought, Oh, I won't be hit, and I am glad. I was totally minding my own business and someone crossed the center line.

Ha
Old 06-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Do you wear yours?

Yes. I feel naked without one.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Seat belts not only save lives they keep the kids from mauling each other. Those of us born before the 50s remember how we would drive our parents nuts elbowing (or worse) our siblings in the back seat. Now kids can only fuss, whine, yell and kick the back of the seat... behaviors which can either be ignored or addressed as the circumstances dictate.

Seatbelts are a blessing for parents at so many levels.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #11

I've worn my seat-belt all of the time....ever since Easter Sunday 1979 when I was in a two vehicle wreck that totaled both vehicles. During the mayhem, momentum helped me to attempt exiting my van via the windshield on the passenger side (I was the driver), however the telephone pole that finally brought my van to a crashing halt, prevented me from making a full exit!

I was extremely fortunate to have gotten out of that mess with only 7 stitches in forehead, a slight concussion, and brand new 1980 Dodge Pick-up paid for with the insurance check!

By the way, the very next day after the wreck, I started wearing a seat-belt!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:34 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I always used to buckle my seatbelt when I was on engineering watch on my submarines. It kept me from falling out of my chair if I dozed off. The other watchstanders claimed that if there was a collision then they didn't want my carcass flying around as a missile hazard.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

That was a nice video. Thank you.

I wear a seat belt. I got hit on a freeway by a runaway 15 year old in a stolen car - my car spun around a few times and got into a ditch on the side of the freeway. My car was totalled, but I was OK. I had a serious sore around where my seat belt was (this was before airbag). I consider myself very lucky still. (My car could have rolled over instead.)
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:39 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Yes. Always. Ever since my father installed the first set of seat belts in the old Ford back in the early 60's ... before they were common place and standard features in automobiles.

My habit is so automatic I don't even think about it... one day I realized that I buckle up even if I get in one of our cars to just back the car out of the garage into the driveway to wash it.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:47 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

So who. then, are all these people that don't use Seat belts?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
So who. then, are all these people that don't use Seat belts?
It appears they don't survive long enough to aspire to early retirement...
Old 06-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #17

Always.

I have written a thick stack of car accident reports. It got to the point that I could look at the car, look at the occupants, and tell with 95% accuracy who was wearing a belt and who wasn't.

Air bags are amazing. I've seen people walk (or at least limp) away from wrecks that should have been fatal.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Add me to the list of always wearing a seat belt. When I ride a motorcycle I feel like I should be searching for the seatbelt.

I have problems with shoulder belts but yes I wear them anyway. I am short and too many cross up close to my neck, which can't be the safest. I have used clip on belt shoulder belt adjuster but I tend to lose them as the ones I have found are not permanent solutions.

No, I am not going to use a booster seat.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Do you wear yours?

Yes. I feel naked without one.

Same sentiments here.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
That was a nice video. Thank you.

I wear a seat belt. I got hit on a freeway by a runaway 15 year old in a stolen car - my car spun around a few times and got into a ditch on the side of the freeway. My car was totalled, but I was OK. I had a serious sore around where my seat belt was (this was before airbag). I consider myself very lucky still. (My car could have rolled over instead.)

My brother is a convert. He used to only wear his seatbelt once in a while until his car got totalled (several years back). Luckily, that time he was buckled in. He drove a small subcompact and got hit headon by a van. I had to pick him up from the hospitial. His glasses broke, he had a sore knee and he had a big bruise from where he wore his seatbelt, but no broken bones. His car got accordianed (crushed from front towards the back).