Document Management

AirplaneGuy

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello!

I was wondering if people here use any form of electronic document management for things. I have way too much paper around the house and need to find a better way. For things like old bank statements, reciepts, other random documents that might be worth keeping around.

(don't get me started on banks that won't do electronic statements)

I know there are some personal document management software tools out there that let you scan in your documents and tag it with various pieces of metadata, but i haven't tried any first hand - has anyone here?

Thanks!
AirplaneGuy

Years ago I bought a desktop that came with a document scanner built into the keyboard. The software was called "Paperport" and it was made by Visioneer. They are still around. Obviously, the keyboard scanner was limited compared to a flatbed scanner, but you could very easily scan a bunch of documents (even business cards), and then label, drag, drop, organize, etc into folders. I can't recall the filename extensions, but I do recall the OCR piece was not much more than a good idea at the time. If you wanted to convert the images to an excel spreadsheet, for example, it was hit or miss

I use an "all in one printer" it scans, copies and prints.
I first started using paperport software to scan but it uses its own file type .max I think some viewers can't read them.

I started scanning to .jpg files, I think every viewer program made can read .jpg files.

I downloaded Irfanview (free) and use it along with my scanner to scan documents.
I have a folder on my computer marked "2007 SCANS" I save my scans there with a descriptive name.

I back them up regularly.

Burch64

Back
Top Bottom