Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I think this was also referred to as his "benefits package". ahem.
Forget my etchings in this economy. Wanna see my benefits package?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You want to impress me?
Do housework.
No woman ever shot a man while he was doing housework.
Khan, your statement reminded me of a joke I heard some years back. I was able to find a written copy, isn't the net great? You will love it if you haven't already heard.
So here it is:

A woman is sitting at a bar enjoying an after work cocktail with her girlfriends when an exceptionally tall, handsome, middle-aged man enters.

He is so striking that the woman can not take her eyes off him. The man notices her overly attentive stares and walks directly toward her.

Before she can offer her apologies for rudely staring he leans over and whispers, “I’ll do anything, absolutely anything that you want me to do for $20… But, on one condition.”

Flabbergasted, the woman asks what the condition is.

The man replies, “You have to tell me what you want me to do in just three words.”

The woman considers his proposition for a moment and then removes a $20 bill from her purse, which she presses into the man’s hand along with her address.

She then looks deeply into his eyes, and slowly, and meaningfully says, “Clean my house!”
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Khan, your statement reminded me of a joke I heard some years back. I was able to find a written copy, isn't the net great? You will love it if you haven't already heard.
So here it is:

A woman is sitting at a bar enjoying an after work cocktail with her girlfriends when an exceptionally tall, handsome, middle-aged man enters.

He is so striking that the woman can not take her eyes off him. The man notices her overly attentive stares and walks directly toward her.

Before she can offer her apologies for rudely staring he leans over and whispers, “I’ll do anything, absolutely anything that you want me to do for $20… But, on one condition.”

The man replies, “You have to tell me what you want me to do in just three words.”

The woman considers his proposition for a moment and then removes a $20 bill from her purse, which she presses into the man’s hand along with her address.

She then looks deeply into his eyes, and slowly, and meaningfully says, “Clean my house!”
Excellent - not heard it before!!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
This means they are gainfully employed, preferably in something respectable, can dress and act appropriately in social settings, and have the same general life goals and experiences. That's pretty much the low bar.
Aw, shucks, you had me up until that first condition. I'm not too excited about the second, third, and fourth ones either.

Spouse and I have always been pretty close together in salary, and in the last years of my career hers exceeded mine. The nice thing about my lower salary was that I had slightly more free time than her, and a lot fewer work-related phone calls. But otherwise there's never been much interest in the relative sizes of our... paychecks.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #45
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
So here it is:

No argument here.

I kept a man for several years (he was unemployed part of that time) because he did housework and yardwork.

Do you know how wonderful it is to come home from work to a clean house and weeded garden and dinner cooking?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you know how wonderful it is to come home from work to a clean house and weeded garden and dinner cooking?
I hope my wife finds out in a few years.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 08-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

"Whipping it out" means showing your date your balance sheet and last 2 paystubs.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My wife says that what hooked her was my funny/amusing natural way of talking about things. She finds me entertaining in a subdued way.
I like her sunny disposition. In fact, I envy her sunny disposition. And her amiability. My oppsite attitude!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
But men looking for "trophy wifes" should not wonder that these wifes are looking for salary kings.
Perhaps it's no surprise that we don't find a lot of stereotypical salary king/trophy wife couples around here.

Trophy wives cost (a lot of ) money to maintain and, unless the salary king makes lots of money, it's going to be hard to achieve early retirement. And trophy wives might not appreciate the loss of income and status coming with early retirement, so this little adventure could end in a costly divorce.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #50
Administrator

On the theme of Kings and what women want, I am reminded of the old story about King Arthur, Sir Lancelot and the witch...

Young King Arthur was ambushed and imprisoned by the monarch of a neighboring kingdom. The monarch could have killed him but was moved by Arthur's youth and ideals. So, the monarch offered him his freedom, as long as he could answer a very difficult question. Arthur would have a year to figure out the answer and, if after a year, he still had no answer, he would be put to death.

The question?...What do women really want? Such a question would perplex even the most knowledgeable man, and to young Arthur, it seemed an impossible query. But, since it was better than death, he accepted the monarch's proposition to have an answer by year's end.
He returned to his kingdom and began to poll everyone: the princesses, the priests, the wise men and even the court jester. He spoke with everyone, but no one could give him a satisfactory answer.

Many people advised him to consult the old witch, for only she would have the answer. But the price would be high; the witch was famous throughout the kingdom for the exorbitant prices she charged.
The last day of the year arrived and Arthur had no choice but to talk to the witch. She agreed to answer the question, but he would have to agree to her price first.

The old witch wanted to marry Sir Lancelot, the most noble of the Knights of the Round Table and Arthur's closest friend! Young Arthur was horrified. She was hunchbacked and hideous, had only one tooth, smelled like sewage, made obscene noises, etc. He had never encountered such a repugnant creature in all his life.

He refused to force his friend to marry her and endure such a terrible burden; but Lancelot, learning of the proposal, spoke with Arthur.
He said nothing was too big of a sacrifice compared to Arthur's life and the preservation of the Round Table. Hence, a wedding was proclaimed and the witch answered Arthur's question thus: What a woman really wants, she answered....is to be in charge of her own life.

Everyone in the kingdom instantly knew that the witch had uttered a great truth and that Arthur's life would be spared.
And so it was, the neighboring monarch granted Arthur his freedom and Lancelot and the witch had a wonderful wedding.

The honeymoon hour approached and Lancelot, steeling himself for a horrific experience, entered the bedroom. But, what a sight awaited him. The most beautiful woman he had ever seen lay before him on the bed. The astounded Lancelot asked what had happened. The beauty replied that since he had been so kind to her when she appeared as a witch, she would henceforth, be her horrible deformed self only half the time and the beautiful maiden the other half.

Which would he prefer? Beautiful during the day....or night?
Lancelot pondered the predicament. During the day, a beautiful woman to show off to his friends, but at night, in the privacy of his castle, an old witch? Or, would he prefer having a hideous witch during the day, but by night, a beautiful woman for him to enjoy wondrous intimate moments?

What would YOU do?
What Lancelot chose is below.

BUT....make YOUR choice before you scroll down below.

Noble Lancelot said that he would allow HER to make the choice herself.
Upon hearing this, she announced that she would be beautiful all the time because he had respected her enough to let her be in charge of her own life.

Now....what is the moral to this story?
The moral is.....
If you don't let a woman have her own way....
Things are going to get ugly
Old 08-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Study is probably true in that it relates to the general and not the specific. But interesting to look at couples, whether people you know or just random strangers, and think they got married because he's powerful and she's hot. Most couples I know do not fit either of these definitions and never did.

If I were dating today at my age, I wouldn't give a whit about a guy's salary before hopping into bed with him.
Yeah - I think that there are just so many outliers from "typical trends" that studies like this often aren't very applicable to one's personal life. I know very few couples who are traditional in many ways - my family was never traditional, and my husband and I certainly are not traditional at all in our family roles. But most of our friends are odd-balls as well, so who notices?

I'm sure if you are already an outlier, you tend to socialize with other outliers. And then you just don't run into "typical" life much.

When I decided in my late teens that I wanted to be an electrical engineer - that pretty much blasted through any "expected stuff" for the rest of my life - social life, work life, university life, all of it. Of course I was already used to being different, being the only girl in calculus and physics in high school. When I got out of high school - I was finally free of the prison of social expectations, where people were uncomfortable if you deviated from the "norm". After an odd-ball childhood, engineering school was the first place I actually started to feel like I fit in, and that was wonderful.

Audrey
Old 08-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Alan - that's some great storytelling (as usual!)

Audrey
Old 08-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
But men looking for "trophy wifes" should not wonder that these wifes are looking for salary kings.
I have found that many good-looking women are satisfied with mediocre men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
But otherwise there's never been much interest in the relative sizes of our... paychecks.
I think that once a relationship has matured, there is a great tolerance for minor shortcomings.
Quote:
I kept a man for several years (he was unemployed part of that time) because he did housework and yardwork...
And then what happened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
...The moral is.....
If you don't let a woman have her own way....
Things are going to get ugly
I believe that most people need to garner respect in their own way. This might involve decisions about a certain aspect of their joint lives.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #54
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
I kept a man for several years (he was unemployed part of that time) because he did housework and yardwork...

And then what happened?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
He left and got religion and got married and got divorced.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I have found that many good-looking women are satisfied with mediocre men.
I agree, but I wasn't the one who said what you quoted....
Old 08-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
When I decided in my late teens that I wanted to be an electrical engineer - that pretty much blasted through any "expected stuff" for the rest of my life - social life, work life, university life, all of it. Of course I was already used to being different, being the only girl in calculus and physics in high school. When I got out of high school - I was finally free of the prison of social expectations, where people were uncomfortable if you deviated from the "norm". After an odd-ball childhood, engineering school was the first place I actually started to feel like I fit in, and that was wonderful.
That sounds just like my wife. She was the only EE student in our year and we graduated as husband and wife EE's. (she was the university's first ever EE graduate).
Old 08-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I think women lie about what they want...

Sure, there are the ones who do not follow the typical stereotype... but how many really young good looking women fall in love with a much older man that does not have any money

How many knockouts date the 350 lb guy that can not keep a job

The women usually meet someone at the same 'level' as they are..... men want to move up a few levels and get shot down...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #58
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I think women lie about what they want...

Sure, there are the ones who do not follow the typical stereotype... but how many really young good looking women fall in love with a much older man that does not have any money

How many knockouts date the 350 lb guy that can not keep a job

The women usually meet someone at the same 'level' as they are..... men want to move up a few levels and get shot down...
You are assuming always lie about everything?

A few of us don't.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Many decades ago when I was young, there HAD to be chemistry between a man and yours truly otherwise it wouldn't matter a flip how much money he made, his sense of humor, personality, etc... I needed passion.

Now that I'm more mature, well...I still feel the same way.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You want to impress me?
Do housework.
No woman ever shot a man while he was doing housework.
Allow me to add on a corollary...
NEVER criticize a man when he is doing laundry or dish duty. If he folds things wrong or doesn't stack the dishes just right, GET OVER IT.

Back to the topic...I have never been interested in a man's money because I have always earned my own. Good character and kindness is a much better pheremone than a bulging wallet.