Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You want to impress me?
Do housework.
I think my stepmom followed that philosophy, except my dad wouldn't do it, so we kids did.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #62
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Allow me to add on a corollary...
NEVER criticize a man when he is doing laundry or dish duty. If he folds things wrong or doesn't stack the dishes just right, GET OVER IT.

Back to the topic...I have never been interested in a man's money because I have always earned my own. Good character and kindness is a much better pheremone than a bulging wallet.
Crap yes. I've earned my own money.

You want to impress me, bring something beyond money to the discussion.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Allow me to add on a corollary...
NEVER criticize a man when he is doing laundry or dish duty. If he folds things wrong or doesn't stack the dishes just right, GET OVER IT.

Back to the topic...I have never been interested in a man's money because I have always earned my own. Good character and kindness is a much better pheremone than a bulging wallet.
And my requirement would be a sense of humor. That was what was attractive about DH, although to be completely honest, I was excited about dating someone who could buy beer for me legally.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

The original question is incomplete. This thread reminds me of a word game we used to play when socked in by weather in remote Aleutians.

A newbie player is chosen to whom it is carefully explained that in their absence a story will be created. Upon their return the method for discovering the story is, the player asks a question, the group will affirm or deny.

This only works when when newbies, cheechakoes, outsiders etc. show up who are unfamiliar with this game.

In fact in the player's absence it is arbitrarily decided that any question ending in a particular word or letter will get an affirmative, else a negative. Thus in reality the player invents their own story. The results are typically pretty arbitrary at times bizarre.

So does a man's salary matter? when? to whom? in what context?

NB. I was single for most of my life, been around the world a few times, got married after 50. No, I did not lead a sheltered life.
I wold not even venture a guess to the question as posed.

I must admit the ladies did create a nice story line.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I am surprised by how much interest there has been in this question, since most people here are married or SO'd up.

I agree with the previous poster, this is one of those questions where truly frank answers would be difficult. It may even present a challenge to be frank with oneself. Data is in favor of yes, it does. Clearly not always or to everyone or in every situation. A study was made of personals ads, I think in Chicago. Men most commonly advertised for younger women and the age gap betwen the male advertiser and his intended enamorata increased as he got older. Likewise, women's ads tended to emphasize men a bit older, "established", etc. Also women tended to replay to ads that attempted to subtly convey, "Hey hottie, there's bucks down here by the pool where I am so casually reclining".

Ha
Old 08-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You are assuming always lie about everything?

A few of us don't.
Not all... but the reality for a lot does not match what they say...

Like 'I want someone who makes me laugh'... but the fat ugly guy that hardly makes any money but makes then laugh is not in the running...

Or the ones who go after a much older man and say 'age does not matter'.... but only go after the rich older man... the poor older guy is not in the running...

At least men say they want a young beautiful woman that loves sex and will not cheat.... now, we don't get there, but we are more honest

Again..... in general....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Not all... but the reality for a lot does not match what they say...
I for one don't think posters are inconsistent between their words and actions.
Quote:
Like 'I want someone who makes me laugh'... but the fat ugly guy that hardly makes any money but makes then laugh is not in the running...
I think implicit in that remark is that once certain basic criteria have been met, they would prefer a funny guy over a richer guy.
Quote:
Or the ones who go after a much older man and say 'age does not matter'.... but only go after the rich older man... the poor older guy is not in the running...
Or they may still prefer an average guy who is funny. It's that "talent" thing, remember?
Quote:
At least men say they want a young beautiful woman that loves sex and will not cheat.... now, we don't get there, but we are more honest
Ah, but many posters here talk about their chosen mates-for-life. It's different than desiring just a sexy date.

I remember one time when my friends and I were sitting around ogling a young beautiful thing that walked by. One guy said "I'd like to test drive that". As I looked at him quizzically, he explained "As in test driving an expensive high-maintenance car that you do not care to own".

Most posters here talk about a low-maintenance "car" they want to own, not a car they simply want to test drive.

I will add I do not care to test drive any car, real or metaphorical. I only look, car or whatever.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:42 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

The salary does not matter, as long as he gives you fever.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:59 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
...A study was made of personals ads, I think in Chicago. Men most commonly advertised for younger women and the age gap betwen the male advertiser and his intended enamorata increased as he got older. Likewise, women's ads tended to emphasize men a bit older, "established", etc. Also women tended to replay to ads that attempted to subtly convey, "Hey hottie, there's bucks down here by the pool where I am so casually reclining".

Ha
Just for fun, I'm going to take a closer look at this within the profiles on Match.com. There is an optional question about salary, which I smartly did not answer.
I've had over 500 views of my own profile, so I am going to check out the age ranges of the "interested parties". It should prove to be fascinating, Captain.

UPDATE: I did a quick "back of the envelope" count of the number of guys who were looking for a woman more than 5 years younger than they listed themselves as being. No conclusive trend.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:31 PM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Hey hottie, there's bucks down here by the pool where I am so casually reclining".

Come and git it !

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Come and git it !

The Dude does have an awesome set of ears. No wonder she fell for him.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:58 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The Dude does have an awesome set of ears. No wonder she fell for him.
They obviously made a HUGE mistake when they selected Bob Dole for the Viagara commercials.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

^J. Howard Marshall and Jack Bogle...separated at birth?
Gerbil Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interestingly, I did an experiment with Match.com

In my "real" profile I was my usual modest self and listed my salary as approx what my expenses really were. LBYM. I got some women to respond to my email, but even those were surprisingly common to be probing for expensive tastes and world travel (even when their income was listed lower than mine).

Then I created a new fake profile which casually mentioned my recent trip to Europe and my million dollar house. Never a problem getting anyone to respond to my email from that profile, plus about a dozen email a week from women I hadn't contacted, wanting to contact me. I thought there might be an effect, but I was totally surprised by how much impact it made.

Kind of disheartening actually, since I'm much more like my original modest profile in real life. Anyone know a good LBYM dating site?
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:11 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Anyone know a good LBYM dating site?
I don't have any experience, but here's an old thread about internet dating that may give you some ideas...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ghlight=dating
Old 09-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
... the poor older guy is not in the running...

He would be, if he wanted a poor older woman! I'm sure plenty of such couples exist.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

My experience on Match.com is nearly 10 years old. Of all the women I dated, almost none had any savings to speak of - even a doctor and a lawyer that I dated briefly were living paycheck to paycheck. Lots of ants looking for a grasshopper out there, as retirement looms.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My experience on Match.com is nearly 10 years old. Of all the women I dated, almost none had any savings to speak of - even a doctor and a lawyer that I dated briefly were living paycheck to paycheck. Lots of ants looking for a grasshopper out there, as retirement looms.
Health insurance coverage may be more in demand than a big bank account. A nice retired Federal employee with a pension and health coverage would be desirable I suspect.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

I guess I should have said grasshoppers looking for an ant.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I have never done any online dating, but my brother did. He said that about every woman he met was very open about being essentially broke, and furthermore that they did not seem to understand the significance of that fact. This was mostly mid-50s single women who had already run through whatever money they took out of marriage, except the house if they got that. And too, the house was often burdened by re-fis during the boom. Most interesting to me is that this refinancing often was not to finance high living, but to respond to children's (including adult children) needs or preceived needs. In other words, often these women were broke because they were nice.

Ha