Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Just for fun, I'm going to take a closer look at this within the profiles on Match.com. There is an optional question about salary, which I smartly did not answer.
I've had over 500 views of my own profile, so I am going to check out the age ranges of the "interested parties". It should prove to be fascinating, Captain.

UPDATE: I did a quick "back of the envelope" count of the number of guys who were looking for a woman more than 5 years younger than they listed themselves as being. No conclusive trend.U
Well, that may be true if the Men are telling the truth...!!

In my 40-somethings I was seeking a new Mate and did have many many dates via the then fledgling Match.com site. As a woman, what I found was interesting. I focused on Men in my area within 45 min drive & if their income level was lower than say 50K a year, I had a hard time relating to their interests & lifestyle & values. Their actual earnings were of no interest to me per se, but somehow how they related to things was a lot different than my own ideals. I really did not wish to be a prude about it, that is just how it played out in my unique situation & I never even ended up on a date with them.

Of those men I actually met in public places for a "date" after a few emails, many of the Men had clearly misstated their age on the website to a much lower # than it actually was (by 10+ years!)

Finally, I had a problem in that I had been very successful business wise & actually had to downplay my income & net worth....Despite what one would want to believe, very difficult to attract a Simpatico Single Mate if right off the bat you overshadow their successes. (BTW, women's dating books cover this issue quite extensively & many woman CEOs & execs have had to follow suit. ) So it would not be unique for a woman to understate her income level on these sites.

I did find Mr. DH & we have been together ever since, but my In-Laws still can't understand how I can live so well on the payroll of a Property Manager for a couple of small Buildings...LOL!
NW Landlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My experience on Match.com is nearly 10 years old. Of all the women I dated, almost none had any savings to speak of - even a doctor and a lawyer that I dated briefly were living paycheck to paycheck. Lots of ants looking for a grasshopper out there, as retirement looms.
Now that's darn interesting. I went out on some dates many years ago from match.com, and I found more men than I wanted to find that were seeking a woman that had money and a good job. It was really discouraging, and I swore I'd never do the personals again...but some people have had great luck with it. Go figure?
Old 09-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Now that's darn interesting. I went out on some dates many years ago from match.com, and I found more men than I wanted to find that were seeking a woman that had money and a good job. It was really discouraging, and I swore I'd never do the personals again...but some people have had great luck with it. Go figure?
Where were you when I was looking?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
In other words, often these women were broke because they were nice.
Ha
Well that is sure good news for me, Ha! As I'm rarely nice and definitely childfree.

I had two friends who did the match.com deal and both married the psychopathic losers they met there, had a kid each, and are now in such hellish circumstances that one I no longer have any contact with and the other is very infrequent. I was vocal in my early dislike of these creeps.

<shudder> There are far worse things than being alone, is all I can say.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Health insurance coverage may be more in demand than a big bank account. A nice retired Federal employee with a pension and health coverage would be desirable I suspect.
As things have turned out, people have long overvalued current earning potential and undervalued security, methinks. I know I certainly did, or else I wouldn't have chosen private sector work.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron
Health insurance coverage may be more in demand than a big bank account. A nice retired Federal employee with a pension and health coverage would be desirable I suspect.
"Friends with benefits" takes on a whole new meaning...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I went out on some dates many years ago from match.com, and I found more men than I wanted to find that were seeking a woman that had money and a good job.
Perhaps, but it's long been socially acceptable for a woman to look for that in a man, so I do sense some amount of a social double standard here, a similar one that says a woman can stay home and raise children while her spouse brings in the paycheck and bennies, but if the genders were reversed he'd be a slacking ne'er-do-well leeching off his wife who needs to go get a job.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
................. a slacking ne'er-do-well leeching off his wife who needs to go get a job.
Have you been talking to my neighbors?
Old 09-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Have you been talking to my neighbors?
Awesome!
Travelover, are you my brother?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
... In other words, often these women were broke because they were nice.
Ha
OR they did not have a clue about finances!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Awesome!
Travelover, are you my brother?

We may have had the same milkman.