Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When we were married, I had no car, I was a grad student (i.e. no real income), and negative net worth. My wife was gainfully employed as an engineer.

I did have transportation: my bicycle.

28 years later, I don't work full-time, but my wife is still gainfully employed as an engineer.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
When we were married, I had no car, I was a grad student (i.e. no real income), and negative net worth. My wife was gainfully employed as an engineer.

I did have transportation: my bicycle.

28 years later, I don't work full-time, but my wife is still gainfully employed as an engineer.
Translation: I bought a winning lottery ticket 28 years ago.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

In seeking a mate, I paid little or no attention to salary. I was looking for someone who offered me the same things I had to offer him, which did not include a high salary.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

When I met my wife, we were both broke. So she couldn't have been impressed by my bank account. And she always made more (sometimes much more) than I did. Anyways, 12 years later we are still together and still in love. I must be doing something right.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Ah, many males with lots of talents here, I see...

Read Ha's 1st post again.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You want to impress me?
Do housework.
No woman ever shot a man while he was doing housework.

Will this one do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Perfect man.JPG (24.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Will this one do?
That kid looks like he's about 16.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Does a cougar care?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I've always done the ironing in our marriage, I just happened to pick an early photo - we met when DW was 17 and I was 18 and quickly settled into our long term roles
Old 08-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Alan, is that your rib injury beneath the fotolia" tattoo on your ribcage?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Alan, is that your rib injury beneath the fotolia" tattoo on your ribcage?
I just can't fool you guys - good spot
Old 08-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Here I fixed it...now I won't feel like a dirty old woman when I look at him...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Perfect%20man[1].JPG (16.1 KB, 167 views)
Old 08-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While I think there is some validity to the proposition that women want a wealthy/powerful man and men pay a lot of attention to women's looks it is the outliers that are most interesting. The not so attractive women who gets a lot of attention and I remember when I lived in London there was this local fellow who always seemed to have a lot of female company. He was not big, good looking (IMHO) and not much money. He did have a nice Jaguar which the local guys decided was the 'factor'. But he lost his license for a while due to a DWI, back to a bicycle and it still didn't make any difference to his female companions.
Also in college in my group one fellow, who did look great and from an old but not wealthy family was the most socially active. I was probably next in that category but I worked at it, really hard, and he never put any effort into his social life. I can remember women pounding on his door to get in.
Statistically money/power & beauty are valid but really folks, thats not the whole story and I would suggest, not the most interesting part of the story.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:59 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From a woman:
First of all, I would want a partner who has a great (reliable, trustworthy, caring) personality, good humor and is really interested in me. He should also have reasonable financial habits and be able to pull his weight, do his share in the home etc.
Just having a big salary or family money would never overcome obstacles in these areas.
In my case: DH is in public service on a salary that is non-negotiable but fixed by law (Germany). In the last 15 years I have always had a higher salary than he did. The problems that are often referred to when a man's salary is lower than the wife never existed for us. We both enjoy our joint income a lot and plan to ER 2012.

But men looking for "trophy wifes" should not wonder that these wifes are looking for salary kings.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I think from the perspective of the single girls I know now (heck, I was last single in 1989 when I was 18 years old) is that they are looking for guys who are not bums.

This means they are gainfully employed, preferably in something respectable, can dress and act appropriately in social settings, and have the same general life goals and experiences. That's pretty much the low bar.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I think it all depends on whether a woman has her own money or not. Of course - the article indicates that some such women are still mentally stuck in an old paradigm, but I can't relate at all.

If a woman has financial security, then she doesn't need seek it from a relationship.

If a woman is already powerful, then she doesn't need to sleep with someone to feel like she has some kind of link to power.

My husband had so many special talents and characteristics, that I snapped him up - and it wasn't about money or power.

Audrey
Old 08-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Study is probably true in that it relates to the general and not the specific. But interesting to look at couples, whether people you know or just random strangers, and think they got married because he's powerful and she's hot. Most couples I know do not fit either of these definitions and never did.

If I were dating today at my age, I wouldn't give a whit about a guy's salary before hopping into bed with him.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
If I were dating today at my age, I wouldn't give a whit about a guy's salary before hopping into bed with him.
See, it's that "talent" thing again.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
See, it's that "talent" thing again.

I might not go with the most talented but the auditions would be fun.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I think this was also referred to as his "benefits package". ahem.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote